Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Users Meeting In Donegal

Options
  • 12-11-2002 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Ednwireland, Rez-N-8 and I met in Letterkenny today.

We are planning to hold a public meeting in Donegal in about 3 weeks time to which we intend to invite TD's, local politicians, representatives Uduras/IDA and local business leaders to discuss the impact that the lack of Internet access is having on the county. We will also be inviting representatives from the Telco's to put their side of the story.

I will provide more details later, but in the meantime, could anyone from Donegal who is interested in attending the meeting or, even better, making a short input on how they/their business is affected, please contact me on martinDOTvfmfloorsDOTcom

Martin Harran

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Will it be in Letterkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

We're thinking about Gaeltacht area to draw in Uduras.

Realise this means travel for people but we're aiming for an 8:00 to 9:30 p.m. session to try and help on this.

This could be a 'mini' version of last year's conference in Dublin so we will be asking all users in Donegal to make a real effort on this.

Mind you...just thinking aloud...any reason this couldn't be a North West event rather than just a Donegal one? Any Sligo/Leitrim users out there who would be interested in working on this with us?

Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by DonegalMan
    We're thinking about Gaeltacht area to draw in Uduras.

Would have loved to, but a bit too far for me. :(

Will Udaras not consider attending wherever all the same, as it does concern the Gaeltacht in any case?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Snark

making it an event for donegal/sligo might be a good idea initially. make get a bit more interest, which could then filter down to more local impetus. the stuff they have done in ballina (newspaper articles, council involvement,etc) over the last 12 months was impressive.

snark...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by DonegalMan
    Mind you...just thinking aloud...any reason this couldn't be a North West event rather than just a Donegal one? Any Sligo/Leitrim users out there who would be interested in working on this with us?
    North Mayo is in the North West too, y'know! :D

Depending on timing, I'll try to get there. Keep us posted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

at least sligo town has some chance of gettting competition as esat have fibre that runs to sligo on the train lines, donegal has the problem that until the llu happens we have no competition and no chance of any everything willl be done through eircom
    mind you someone moving a digger yesterday took out my (and 300 other houses phone lines) so i've no internet access at home now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,988 ✭✭✭✭L1011

maybe up there, do spend a lot of time at second house on Arranmore, hence an interest in DSL up there as well as here

Due to the exchange up there being full even for normal lines, i have to use a ... GSM modem.... damn Eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Why not have the meeting in Jacksons Hotel in Ballybofey/Stranorlar? [The Twin Towns].

Located in the very centre of Donegal and easily accessible from throughout the Northwest.

Just a suggestion. Not that I am prejudiced just because I happen to live in this location.

Yours,

paddy20;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by paddy20
    Why not have the meeting in Jacksons Hotel in Ballybofey/Stranorlar? [The Twin Towns].

Located in the very centre of Donegal and easily accessible from throughout the Northwest.
    [aside]Hmm - Bord Failte Ballybofey?[/aside]

I heartily agwee with this product or service.

http://www.local.ie/general/map/donegal.shtml

Have a look - certainly more stomachable for us North Inishoweners (Clonmany, Malin, Donagh, Moville, Buncrana for the geographically-challenged).

Just a suggestion. Not that I am prejudiced just because I happen to live in this location.
    Yeah, yeah, we believe you :)

Drinks in Paddy20s afterwards everyone?? Ok, great! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

dun_do_bheal,

Any idea of the membership- numbers/locations/breakdown - in the northwest areas of Donegal, Leitrim. Sligo, etc? So that an appropriate "Fair" central location for the meeting could be democratically selected.

I would be very interested to know exactly what the true membership/support for IOFFL is in the Northwest?

As for the "drinkies in Paddy20s afterwards everyone ??" suggestion, while I would not object too that. It looks as though I will be back in St James Hosp in Dublin, while you lot are ranting in Jacksons Hotel?:p

Best wishes.

Yours,

paddy20;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Im unstickying this for the moment.

Let me know when theres firm details and ill sticky that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

LOL

I would goto Letterkenny perhaps, but any further and its a no no.

Advertisement