Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leased line -dsl question

Options
  • 12-11-2002 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We use a 256K Leased Line from Esat to connect to the net in work - - This line is costing us mad money- something like 20K euro's a year

Any other way around this - Would DSL or anything like that be an option?

James

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

It depends on how guaranteed a service you require, dsl is not a guaranteed connection, so it can go down and may take over a day or 2 to go back up so if it is essential that you have to be connected it may not be the best idea. However if you were to go with dsl and have a dual channel isdn back up this would basically do, in relation to a 256k leased line, as you will get the increased speed of adsl and then have the back up of a 128k connection if something where to go bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

i agree have a dual channel ISDN on backup, we switched to ADSL from a mad money leased and saved a fortune, it hasnt been down yet, but still it's good to have back up unless your getting guarantees on quality of service from your ADSL provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

ANother option is a change of IP provider on the leased line - look at the line rental v's the IP charges on the line and you could save on the IP side of things, depending on the line rental you can save up to 50% moving IP provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

DSL is definitely the way to go if you can get it and you will save about 18k p.a. However as pointed out above DSL is a contended solution which means you are not guarenteed constant bandwidth.

As far as I know you can get dual DSL/ISDN routers which will can be configured to switch over immediately in event of a DSL failure.

Personally I have seperate DSL and ISDN routers at work and it only takes 5 minutes to swap the cables, change the IP setting and reboot the server.

I have only had 1 DSL outage for half a day in 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Our Router already has ISDN back running into it in case the Leased Line goes down - so backup wise I'm covered

Since our Leased Line is from Esat I might give our account Manager a ring and see what he has to say about DSL in the Athlone area.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

I agree With santalives this is the way to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

Originally posted by steve-hosting36
    ANother option is a change of IP provider on the leased line - look at the line rental v's the IP charges on the line and you could save on the IP side of things, depending on the line rental you can save up to 50% moving IP provider.
    Any ideas on a cheap IP provider? We are with Esat and it's about €2000 a month I think.

Well, not wanting to be commercial but we provide leased line customers with a 100Mbps line, at minimal cost, by charging based on actual transfer, not line capacity, so you can burt to 100Mbps, but only pay for, say 100Gb per month.

pm/email if you want more./

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by Loomer
    Any ideas on a cheap IP provider? We are with Esat and it's about €2000 a month I think.

I can get you a 4Mb line with unlimited traffic for about €2800 a month (depending on loop charges).

(That includes 2*2Mb loops plus we'll provide all the equipment and basically give you an ethernet connection)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

If you go with TSCM's one you can transfer up to 1.6 Terrabytes a month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Lets not get carried away - it's only 1.3TB :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

I checked out line usage and we were not making use of the 256K line so Ive cut the line down to 128K and due to new lines etc my charge will now be 6K a year instead of 17K (before vat charges)
    So a great saving

128k is isdn :O

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by STaN
    128k is isdn :O

No, isdn is 128k

128k leased lines are also 128k.

Theres a difference :)

LOL

;x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Originally posted by steve-hosting36
    Well, not wanting to be commercial but we provide leased line customers with a 100Mbps line, at minimal cost, by charging based on actual transfer, not line capacity, so you can burt to 100Mbps, but only pay for, say 100Gb per month.

pm/email if you want more./

Steve,

Can I have one of those in West Clare ;-)

E.

Sure :)

You just need to pay the rental on the 100Mb line to esat :) (and of course esat need to have fibre, etc nearbye)

You can get eircom leased lines pretty much anywhere in the country tho, so a fractional e1 would do most applications.

How can u burst to 100mbps on a 1mb line?? Its impossible :rolleyes:

You cant.

I was making the point that 100Mbps from Esat is not available everywhere, but fractional, or full e1's are available countrywide. An e1 is a 2Mbps line.

Advertisement