Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dvd/video player

Options
  • 12-11-2002 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

Parents are looking to buy a dvd and video recorder/player for this christmas. Have no idea of what's a good system or what kind of price to pay. Anyone suggest a good piece of kit and where's the best place to try and buy it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Personal opinion: don't get a video/DVD combo. They are available but suffer from the same problem as TV/video combos - one part is likely to wear out first leaving you with a big box that only does half the tricks it used to. At least TV/Video combos have the size/portability advantage.

Just get nice separates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Alright what kind of specs should I be looking at when shopping for a dvd player and vcr?

Hmmm, if you are going to be buying both, why not buy one piece of gear, a DVD recorder.
    I have the pioneer DVR7000 and it's just the biz :)
    It records onto a dvd disk in the same way as a normal video does onto vhs and obviously plays rented dvd's aswell.
    mm

The panasonic dmr e3o is a séxy toy, specs are:

Records on DVD-RAM & lower cost DVD-R Video Blank Media

Chasing playback - watch the start of a program while still recording it

Simultaneous playback while recording (DVD-RAM)

Analogue TV tuner built in with RF pass through

Records on DVD-RAM & DVD-R Blank Media

Will make discs that will play in most existing DVD players (DVD-R)

Quick recording function automatically finds blank part of the disc

Built-in time base corrector

Records up to 6 hours per DVD-RAM disc

2 Scarts Full RGB in and out

Minidisc style Non-linear editing

Front A/V input

1 Optical out

Plays NTSC discs as PAL60/NTSC

430 x 79 x 306mm (WxHxD)

Weight 3.5KG
    1 Year RTB Guarantee

It's £500 stg plus postage on www.homecinemaheaven.co.uk but you may find it cheaper elsewhere.
    The only one on the Richer sounds site is the Phillips version at nearly €1800:eek: but they may have something better in the store.
    The panasonic having DVD RAM recording much like a Sky plus Digibox is worth the money imho, in that you can record away up to a limit without disks.
    mm
    mm

No need for a dvd recorder tbh, Mainly want the video recorder because parents have a pile of old videos and they still want to use those. The old VCR died last month after 10-15 years of service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

A semi-decent nicam 4-head vcr will set you back about €135-150... at that price range a mitsubishi or sharp will do the job nicely. Don't be tempted to buy a cheap video player.. I've lost a lot of tapes that way :)

DVD-wise, for a branded machine €150-€180... if you're just plugging it directly into the TV then theres not really too much too look out for, quality-wise most people won't tell the difference between brands at that price range... and most have the exact same features anyway.

thanks kali.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

If your on a budget for a DVD player then you should consider the pioneer DV350. You can get it from richersounds for €239.99 multiregion.

However if you not on a budget check out mine which I have for sale here :D

Advertisement