Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spool32.exe problem

• 12-11-2002 9:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

I keep getting this error after I log in. I'm running Win 98 SE. Anybody know what could be causing it?

Thanks,
    John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

off the top of my head spool is a prog used by windows to control printer functions

id say you got urself a virus in the first stages of infestation. or gammy software installation. check the pc for viruses using AVG from www.grisoft.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Doubt it's a virus because it used to happen to me periodically before I did a full system overhaul (format and reinstall). I update my McAfee VirusScan fairly regularly too.

I think you're right about the file being related to the printer although this error hasn't prevented me from printing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Mork

John2002,

Its definitely a printer problem, try uninstalling your printer driver and software, check if its listed under add/remove programs first, if not just delete it from the printers folder. Reboot then reinstall and see if this works.

You shouldn't need to format and reinstall for this problem, sounds like overkill really to do that. Have a read of "Troubleshooting Printing Problems in Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows ME"

Mork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭ando

yeah, your spooler has more than likely become corrupt. You could try as was already suggested, uninstall the printer from the printers folder and also removing it from the registry, then reinstall the printers. Copying the file from a working machine onto your machine should also do the trick, once it's the exact same OS and sp if any

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Thanks guys, think I'll reinstall the drivers with a newer version if there is one.
    Originally posted by Mork
    You shouldn't need to format and reinstall for this problem, sounds like overkill really to do that.

Mork

I wasn't reinstalling simply because of this, the pc had become extremely slow due to 2 years of abuse from me :)

Advertisement