Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchase of new accounting system

Options
  • 12-11-2002 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I (well, my company) am about about to purchase a new accounting system for our online business. I have looked at TAS and Sage (don't know of any other systems that supports Irish legislation). For both these systems I have heard that you need to spend days or weeks to get started and become familiar with the systems.
    My company only has a few employees and at present we can't afford to dedicate one person to be an accoutant, so I am looking for a solution that
    1. Is easy to learn
    2. Supports Irish VAT, TAX, and PAYE legislation
    3. Includes stock control (up to 500 items)
    4. Hopefully could integrate with a shopping cart solution in the future.
    The business is an online computer retailer, and we import most of our products from outside the EU, so I will need to system that is well capable of handling the VAT issues involved when importing and exporting. 90% of sales are within the EU, but also a good bit of export outside the EU.

Anyone got any suggestions? If not, any organisation I can speak to about this?

Help - - please :confused:

/jk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Tas books is alot easier to use but not as good a package as sage. Also their technichal support is awful unless you ring England which can prove expensive if you run into a big problem. I have spent days on hold to Tas Ire & Uk. Sage is good but it will take you alot longer to get to know and it is not as user freindly. A fair compromise would proably be Apex but I am not sure who the agents for that are. If you have anyother q's feel free to p.m. me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Take a look at Exchequer ..
    may be a tad expensive though...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Waylander
    A fair compromise would proably be Apex but I am not sure who the agents for that are. If you have anyother q's feel free to p.m. me

AFAIK the main agents for Apex here are actually called "Sage Apex" (imaginative that) - 01 642 0878. They're happy to supply demo discs (actually they're full-release discs - Apex is secured with a dongle) or at least were when I was working for an accountancy practice in Limerick up to about two years ago. I still have a few discs that I could send you but obviously they're old discs. If they no longer send out a proper demo, drop me a PM and I'll send what I have to you if you're in any way interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

There is also a package called The Big Red Book. I think they are based in Ireland - but I am not 100% sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

Hi there,

Dont know if you ever get to read it, but a magazine called "Computer Scope" has a great article on Accountancy software this month. It reviews all the main players and then gives a list of where you can purchase each type of software.

Hope this helps.

Voodoo

Advertisement