Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the trees on o'connell street

• 12-11-2002 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭

they're going to cut them down to make way for the spike. :mad: do any of you know when or can you think of any way that we might be able to stop it?

those trees are part of the history of that street -some of them still have the bullet holes from 1916- and these people want to cut them down and compost them to make way for a hideous sculpture that nobody even wanted in the first place.

i would really appreciate it if you could get back to me on this.
    sHep :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I'm thinking the best people to contact on the big brother side of things are the Department of the Environment minister@environ.irlgov.ie.

Alternatively get in contact this crowd http://www.heritagecouncil.ie/mainpage.html mail@heritagecouncil.ie .

However we are talking political hacks here and there is probably no way said hacks will care a damn about the trees on O'Connell Street so, I'd say a protest group is the best route to go.

A protest group that gets media exposure with some trial by media for a random Dublin Corporation or Government Minister should suffice just fine.

Dublin Corporation are ultimately responsible I think so, I'd talk to whatever droid it is, is at the other end of this email address press@dublincorp.ie .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

I dont think that the corpo give a toss about saving our heritage, just look at what they did to Wood Quay even after massive protests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by shep the malevolent pixie
    those trees are part of the history of that street -some of them still have the bullet holes from 1916- and these people want to cut them down and compost them to make way for a hideous sculpture that nobody even wanted in the first place.

Pure B.S.

Those trees were planted circa 1960. The only trees on O'Connell Street there since the turn of the last century are those across from the Savoy Cinema up to the Parnell monument.

Get yer facts right. Btw, the City Fathers also approved of the O'Connell Street Regeneration plan, it's just that they never bothered reading it. Typical wan*ers.

I dont think that the corpo give a toss about saving our heritage, just look at what they did to Wood Quay even after massive protests.

Well exactly. If you want to get these things protected, you have to find a Minister like Seamus Brennan that can be named and shamed if a piece of (something) that is viewed as heritage is allowed to be destroyed.

Thus I'd say some media exposure is all that is really required to save these trees, you know what I mean, a high profile politician identifiable with the destruction of 'heritage', becomes a non problem as no politician would allow themselves to get branded as a heritage hater in Ireland.

*If only there was someway to implicate Bertie in the Dublin Spike.......

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    Pure B.S.

Those trees were planted circa 1960. The only trees on O'Connell Street there since the turn of the last century are those across from the Savoy Cinema up to the Parnell monument.

Get yer facts right. Btw, the City Fathers also approved of the O'Connell Street Regeneration plan, it's just that they never bothered reading it. Typical wan*ers.

In that case there is no problem. We can call off the protest we had planned to chain ourselves to trees on O'Connell's street in the name of National Heritage.

Bod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭MDR

They do care, you just have to ask, my Email to the corpo below , There is no great evil conspiracy to rid Dublin of trees, they don't stay awake nights wondering how to screw you over next etc, they are friendily and approachable peeps.

Dear Sir or Madam,

I have been a long time supporter of the regeneration of O'Connell street, I welcomed Anna Life, The Millenium Clock, Luas and the Spire, all with a view to restoring the street's former glory. It has never been the same (from what I understand) since the destruction of Nelson's Column and the arrival of neon signs and burger bars. However I must register my strongest protest at plans to fell all the trees on O'Connell street and replace them with lime trees. I am amazed that Dublin City Council would even consider such at thing, the trees are important part of the character of the street.I can understand that one or two trees would need to be felled to make room for Luas and the 'Monument of light), but I can see no reason why they all need to be replaced.

I would be oblidged if you could furnish me with Dublin City Councils reasoning in this matter and wether I need to make a formal Freedom of Information request, also how I would go about making a formal complaint.

Yours Sincerely

Ray Kinsella

My mail was redirected to the appropriate dept

A chara,

I wish to acknowledge receipt of your email and wish to inform you that I have
    forwarded your email on to:

O'Connell Street IAP
    Dublin City Council
    Email: oconnellstiap@dublincity.ie
    [url]Http://www.dublincity.ie[/url]

for attention and direct reply.

Is mise le meas,

Amanda Barry
    Web Unit
    Corporate Services Department
    Email: press@dublincity.ie

I then got quite a decent response

Dear Mr Kinsella,

Thank you for your email of 28th October 2002 in which you expressed concern
    about the removal of trees along O'Connell Street.

The main objective of the O'Connell Street Integrated Area Plan is to redesign
    and upgrade the street to regain its importance as the premier thoroughfare of
    the capital city. It is also planned to increase the importance of the
    pedestrian in the upgraded street by reducing the carriageway widths and
    widening the footpaths. The design for the street will create a new boulevard
    by lining the repaved footpaths with mature trees and by planting an array of
    smaller trees in the median to complement the kiosks and new street furniture.

Before work began on the O'Connell Street regeneration programme there was a
    total of 57 trees on the street. By the end of our project there will be in
    excess of 200 trees on the street. That represents almost a fourfold increase
    and a variation in the species being used. This increase in tree cover will
    encourage a variety of nesting and roosting birds which will have a positive
    impact on the area. In the long term there will be an increase in habitat
    available for roosting and breeding birds on O'Connell Street.

The plans for the redevelopment of the O'Connell Street area involve the phased
    removal of all of the existing plane trees on O'Connell Street and phased
    replanting of the new tree scheme. There will be a number of trees at all times
    on O'Connell Street with over 200 trees by the end of 2005.

At the beginning of September, there was a total of 33 trees along O'Connell
    Street. As a consequence of the LUAS works currently in progress 2 trees and
    two saplings were removed between Abbey Street and O'Connell Bridge. A further
    3 trees were removed by Dublin City Council at the north end of O'Connell
    Street to facilitate the erection of the Spire of Dublin. These trees would
    have been removed later in the construction of the new street and replaced with
    the new tree planting.

Following the completion of the Spire of Dublin, work will commence on the new
    plaza fronting the GPO. The new civic plaza will be formally enclosed by
    square-cut clipped trees on three sides framing the GPO façade. The plaza will
    be paved to a pattern with new granite slabs extending the full width of
    O'Connell Street between Henry Street and Abbey Street. A new tree-lined
    boulevard with broad pedestrian-friendly footpaths also forms part of these
    works.

The construction of Phase 1 of the O'Connell Street Improvement Scheme (which
    includes the plaza) will require the removal of the remaining trees between
    Abbey Street and Prince's Street. All these works including the removal of the
    trees were indicated in the Environmental Impact Statement for the plaza and
    the Spire.

All trees that are removed from O'Connell Street will be recycled by the City
    Council.

I hope that this reply clarifiys the position of Dublin City Council. If you
    have any further questions please feel free to contact us.

Best Wishes

Eimear Schlindwein

Tel: 675 5048

I do intend to send them a further clarifying email, what should I ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

As Mugger pointed out - the trees in question are just regular non historical :rolleyes: trees.

Was about to make the point about the bigger picture with regard to O'Connell street and the replanting etc. planned but MDR has covered that. I have looked over some of the proposed plans and must say it is all very impressive and a most definite improvement.

I'd also just like to praise MDR for showing the correct and mature way to approach these things in the first instance. I am utterly sick of people who seem to care more about sensationalising an incident without even learning about it. Are you so desperate for a worthy cause?

I have worked with the corpo before on projects as an external consultant and I have to say - they do care. They put huge amounts of effort into replying and addressing the publics concern.

Spend a day in there sometime and see the sheer volume of public reaction they deal with on a daily basis.

JAK.

FYI

PRESS RELEASE - 6th November, 2002

O'Connell Street Trees

To clarify the situation regarding the O'Connell St trees, the position is as follows:

Any mature trees that needed to be removed to facilitate LUAS and the Spire of Dublin have been removed and will be replaced by new mature trees. Fourteen younger trees planted since the 1960s, between Prince's Street and Abbey Street, will be removed and replaced next year during construction of the plaza in front of the G.P.O.

The remaining trees at Upper O'Connell Street, some of which date from the turn of the century, will not be affected by works on the regeneration programme until approximately eighteen months from now.

The O'Connell Street Plan, which was subject to extensive public consultation, addresses the long-term decline of O'Connell Street and was widely welcomed.

The vision for the street includes a broad based commitment to create the kind of quality environment, range of uses, and powerful sense of place that can live up to its role as the main street of the capital city.

During the eighteen month period between now and the commencement of works at Upper O'Connell Street, anyone who wishes to consult with Dublin City Council regarding the future of the trees or any other issue, may do so.

A summary of the O'Connell Street Plan is available on Dublin City Council's website at http://www.dublincity.ie/planning/oconniap2.html and further information may be obtained from Anne Graham at the O'Connell Street Project Office at 675 5047.

John Fitzgerald,
    Dublin City Manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

As a Green Party supporter, I was embarrassed by their kneejerk protest against the felling of the O'Connell St. trees. It's not like they're being cut down to never be replaced - they're being cut down as part of an overall O'Connell St. regeneration project. If anyone say the artist's rendering of the future O'Connell St., they'd clearly see what the Corpo is up to and anyone who doesn't like it should crawl into a hole and die or move to Leitrim.

O'Connell St. has always been a mess - it smells, it's overcrowded, the centre island isn't used or maintained as it should be. Let's face it - our grandest street, the keystone of our city, is a dump.

Hey, here's an idea: why don't we put a little more faith in our urban planners instead of rubbishing everything they do.

Thanks very much for sending that email, MDR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭shep the malevolent pixie

thanks for the info on that, MDR.
    sHep :cool:

• Advertisement

More info on the trees on O'Connell street as provided by Dubin Corpo ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,521 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by MDR
    More info on the trees on O'Connell street as provided by Dubin Corpo ...

MDR, what is that file?

Its an MS Word File describing exactily whats going to take place on the street, an where, the number of tree involved etc ...

MDR, what is that file?
    If I'm reading it right, it is a document sent form Ann Graham of the Dublin Corporation, 'zipped' giving general information on the tress on O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,521 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by MDR
    Its an MS Word File describing exactily whats going to take place on the street, an where, the number of tree involved etc ...

All I get is a file called "attachment" (no format specificied)
    PK 6Ky-¢º¼Ñ ’ + Trees on O'Connell St-Briefing Document.docì]}l\Õ•¿cý b“ ‰óA 7$Ma×vý•/ q '1$7v6 MµûfæÚóÈÌ{Ã{oì ! ¨€¦MDH+Jù£¥R#-B•Ø.[‰ªÚí²* ºÒ–h‹Š´ Ðîj‘–í† XRJ¼¿sï}3ž N -xçF?¿y÷Ý{î¹çœ{ι÷
    ÃÏþåŠ×¾ý7+_geåOY=;7³€5Æê Àöàf1c;tݹ™™ ªêfjåSUÞ<ùl _dìô• j 5¿åŒ]ÎRw€îøåÍ¿¼™Í*
    ’_ìš]Œ Þ¯ðÛU³ÛÄËÌÌ¢ ý ”œüûÍ
    ¯ñÏÕ®Kb ¾§ëO´T¿6S?\°•±3¸®¿\Ý_ìµ têpmjU÷s¹®Ãuz c ¿±‚±Gq߆ú¥lv æ ŒW^>Œ¿6=îcú¾\žåtƒû>ôkõ+¿R»ËØl:å÷zü <V6Þ\K9=¢óTr6½[®R×òy^l è 㯼\ÙÓñÍûÞ»ýkÏ& Èž^[ Ù

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

windows wont let ya have a \ in a file name. just add a zip extension to the attachment file you dl then you can read the file

Advertisement