Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creative Jukebox 3 20 GB

• 13-11-2002 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

German site:
    111650 Creative Nomad Jukebox 3, 20GB
    - USB, IEEE1394, Retail 20-49 440.42 396.38

Irish site:
    New! (27) Creative Nomad Jukebox 3, 20GB
    - USB, IEEE1394, Retail (UK) In stock: 20-49 547.22 492.50

Difference of 100 Euro's for the words (UK)? :/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Order direct from Creative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by chernobyl
    Order direct from Creative?
    It's only available on pre-order, but it looks like that's what i'll be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭Patman

Hmm...

The prices seem alright to me...

DE: 111650 341.71 ex VAT
    IE: 114087 343.55 ex VAT

Not too much of a difference...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

How does this unit compare with a 20Gb Apple iPod?

I guess they changed overnight.
    Still cheaper to buy from Creative though :/
    Originally posted by Patman
    Hmm...

The prices seem alright to me...

DE: 111650 341.71 ex VAT
    IE: 114087 343.55 ex VAT

Not too much of a difference...:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Daveirl - you sure you're not thinking about the Nomad Jukebox Zen?

While its still relevant - has anyone seen the nomad zen on sale anywhere in this country yet? I'm interested, but it's a lot of money to spend having never held or listened to it - I don't want to spend €500 and then find out that I hate the interface, or that the sound is woeful...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by daveirl
    Get an iPod it's better.

The problem with the Ipod is that I'd like to use it in college as well at home (for downloading etc), and there's no 1394 ports on the PCs. There are 1394 ports on the macs, but I can't use a windows Ipod on a mac...

That said, it looks like you can't just plug and play the zen, you need to install drivers, so I wouldn't be able to use it in college either...

Isn't the sound meant to be better on the Zen?

I saw it at the PC Live Show at the RDS on the October Bank Holiday but they wouldn't let me play with it! I don't know whether it's for sale yet. Get an iPod it's better.
    How do you know it's better?
    Also IPOD is vastly more expensive (€170 more).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by maxheadroom
    are 1394 ports on the macs, but I can't use a windows Ipod on a mac...

You can use the ipod on the PC but you have to install PC software for this too.

Well since I'm getting one I did a bit of research and it seems to be better. i.e. Smaller + Lighter.

It's not vastly more expensive anyway. About €50 difference when I checked.

maxheadroom: Zen uses USB 2.0 so you won't be able to use that in college either most likely. Which ever one you want you'll more than likely need a card to give USB 2.0 or IEEE1394
    €649.99 for IPOD 20GB, €479.99 for Zen
    Zen weighs 80g more,
    1.5cm wider, 1cm longer and 0.6cm deeper.

Also, does USB 2.0 compatible mean you cant use usb 1/1.1 ?

AFAIK USB 2.0 is backward compatible with 1.1?

I already have a firewire port on my home PC - its part of my modem :)

How reliable is the software for using the MAC iPod on a PC?

Originally posted by maxheadroom
    AFAIK USB 2.0 is backward compatible with 1.1?

I already have a firewire port on my home PC - its part of my modem :)

How reliable is the software for using the MAC iPod on a PC?
    AFAIK you cant use the mac ipod on windows at all, you need a windows IPOD and software for the windows IPOD.

Of course, I could easily be wrong.

usb2 is 100% backward compatible with usb1

One issue is that the device probably can't be charged via usb but can be though firewire. I haven't checked it for definate on the zen but thats the way for all other external devices I've ever seen.

The situation is that you can buy an iPod with the Windows (MusicMatch)software or Mac software. However the windows (MusicMatch) software works with all iPods. You can also buy other 3rd party software called Xplay

(http://www.mediafour.com/products/xplay/)

that allows you to use the iPods with Windows too. So you don't have to use what they supply with the iPod. Personally I'm not a fan of musicmatch though I haven't downloaded their latest version yet.

Correct it is backward compatible but all that means is that you can use USB1.1 devices in USB 2.0 ports. Not the other way around.

Example. Playstation 2 is compatible with PSOne. Now you can play PS games in a PS2 not visa-versa. So it's a bit like that
    Ah.
    Anyway, my new MSI mobo has USB2.0 so that doesnt really bother me :)

• Advertisement

Correct it is backward compatible but all that means is that you can use USB1.1 devices in USB 2.0 ports. Not the other way around.
    From http://developer.intel.com/technology/usb/faq.htm
    Will my PC today work with a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 peripheral product?
    Assuming you have a PC that has USB 1.1 (which is most likely), if you plug your Hi-Speed USB 2.0 peripheral into the USB 1.1 system, your system will perform at the USB 1.1 speed. You will need to update your PC either by adding in a PCI add-in card or purchasing a new MB with a discrete host controller that supports Hi-Speed USB 2.0 and installing Hi-Speed USB 2.0 drivers.

The important thing seems to be to make sure you have a USB compliant cable.

WRT MAC iPod vs. WIN iPod, the difference is the filesystem - MAC uses HFS+, WIN uses FAT32. You can download software from apple to reformat to either filesystem and update the iPod system software, but it is an "unsupported operation".

Mediafour's Xplay contains a HFS+ compatibility layer to allow windows systems to access a MAC formatted iPod. This will then work with musicmatch, or winamp or any other player.

WRT sound quality, I've seen some reviews which say that the Zen sounds better than the iPod.

Finally, a Komplett question - any chance of Komplett stocking the iPod? ;)

Apple's software will only allow you go from Windows iPod to Mac iPod

That's what I thought too, but it seems that they've released the software to convert a MAC iPod to a PC one:
    From http://www.apple.com/ipod/faq.html
    If you purchased an iPod for Windows, you can easily reformat it to work on your Mac by downloading the iPod for Mac Software Updater on the Apple web site. Note that once it is reformatted, it will only work with Macs. You need Mac OS 9.2 or Mac OS X version 10.1 or later to reformat an iPod for Windows into an iPod for Mac.

If you purchased iPod for Mac and would like to reformat it to work with a PC, you can download the iPod PC updater from the Apple web site. Before you reformat your iPod, make sure to back-up the contents because they will be erased during the reformatting process. Please visit http://www.musicmatch.com/ipodforwin.htm to download MUSICMATCH Jukebox 7.1 for iPod from the MUSICMATCH web site in order to manage and transfer your music to iPod.

All seems a bit stupid. All you need is to have a bit software like Xplay have done to see the ipod with the HFS+ formatted disk.

Why completely confuse the issue with making a Windows version a totally different format from the Mac version. Can only be yet another ploy from Apple to differenciate the Mac world from the Windows world. Very calculated and a bit cynical IMO.

If I was buying one I'd buy the Mac one and get the Xplay software for it, then I could use it on a Mac or a PC easily. I actually have both a Mac and PC. Though funny enough neither has firewire or USB2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Archos are offering the 6Gb Jukebox for 190 including taxes.

http://www.archos.com/lang=en//products/prw_500150.html

Not a bad buy as it is a storage device as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Originally posted by Celt

EUR 340.00 inkl. MwSt
    (EUR 293.10 exkl. MwSt)

EUR 413.46 inc. VAT
    (EUR 341.71 ex. VAT)

That's not really fair, it's on special offer on the German site at the moment.

Advertisement