Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What happens when?

• 13-11-2002 1:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

Just wondering do all boards requests get read/entertained and if the powers that be dont think its a good idea, do we know?

dev & crew do a great job on the boards [/end_suckup] its just ive seen a few boards that id be interested in subscibing to that were proposed just fade into the midsts of the 2day cutoff

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I imagine they faded due to lack of interest by the boards population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

I think the rule is if you get 5 or more people in support then the board is created, depending on how controversial it may or may not be also.

If 5 ppl don't support it then by default it isn't created.

.logic.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Actually, while I'd like to think we are a well oiled machine (actually I like to think of Regi, well oiled...mmm). The truth is we miss things from time to time so I dont mind people posting "hey what happened to the xyz idea?"

I know there are a few on hold until we get the tech side of things sorted out (some because we need the new tech and some because we just dont have time while we do this big move...)

So fire away...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Originally posted by DeVore:

I know there are a few on hold until we get the tech side of things sorted out (some because we need the new tech and some because we just dont have time while we do this big move...)
    By this, I assume that you are referring to the next installment of vB that has more powerful administrative functions. Do you have any idea when this is coming out, or if it is out, when it is going to be implemented on boards?

A link with more information would be nice... :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

k np dev

(swiss... try thr vbulletin webpage?)

Here were the boards:
    Car pooling board
    Law board? sounded interesting but dunno if any1 has law experience or if it would bring these people in.
    Barter board? people can swap dvd's, music cd's, games, video's think it would be an addition to the for sale & wanted boards
    and the other obvious board but we all know about that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Originally posted by swiss
    By this, I assume that you are referring to the next installment of vB that has more powerful administrative functions. Do you have any idea when this is coming out, or if it is out, when it is going to be implemented on boards?

A link with more information would be nice... :).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61101

Bio

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ahhhh Carpool.... I knew I had missed one. Thats created now, the nav will be updated over night.

There are others we havent done yet and reasons why not:

Gay Issues: Awaiting VBB 3

Cannabis Issues: debating its usefulness as it is a single topic board but would need VBB3 imho anyway.

Legal: Not going to happen unless the FLAC help us. I'm gonna talk to them.

DeV.

A barter board hasnt been officially requested, but if it was what would u think of the idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by STaN
    A barter board hasnt been officially requested, but if it was what would u think of the idea?

I would say the For Sale/Wanted boards cover that. If you want to swop something stick it in there......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Originally posted by DeVore
    ahhhh Carpool.... I knew I had missed one. Thats created now, the nav will be updated over night.

/DMC politely puts up hand to offer modship of said board. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Out of curiosity why is the glb forum awaiting vbb3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by DMC
    /DMC politely puts up hand to offer modship of said board. :)

Another one? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

The barter board is a good idea but I suppose it could just be predicated with "will accept swops" if your selling things.

What I'd love to see is a boards rival for Ebay, but that needs a lot of users- even beyond the population of our shores- to be succesful :(

if youve watched a DvD you mightend want to sell it... just swap it with another 1 from some1 who hasnt seen your film...

same with games that you are now sick of or completed 500000 times.

They arent for sale or wanted per say... u could put up you stuff and say does any1 wanna swap this for that etc.. go idea i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Ohh that takes me back to the good ol' days of Saturday mornings and Noel Edmonds...

"Can I swap a Hornby trainset for 2 blondes in a BMW?"

I can still see it as relevant to For Sale, not a bad idea though.

And Frank, someone has to catch up with Kharn and Amp :)

Swapping already happens peacefully on the For Sale board.

The GLB board is waiting for VBB 3 because it has a number of neat features which will make the admins life easier when we open that can of worms. And you *know* its going to be a can of worms unless handled correctly. :)

DeV.

Groovy.
    Is this something for the mods to lick their lips over? (the vbb3 not the can of worms)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by logic1

If 5 ppl don't support it then by default it isn't created.

.logic.

Or if your boards is called "Gay lawyers who like warez"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Hobbes

I second the motion for this board!

.logic.

Two possible replies generated by the brane of amp:

1. What's the connection between gay people and worms?

2. vB3!!! NOW WITH EXTRA GHEY!!!

With my apologies to the homosexual community....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

[If such a magical thing was created...]
    Can I be mod of Hetro Lawyers who like warez?

And who pays the wages of the vB3 developers...gerra move on...loike:rolleyes:

Oh ye the kittencake board hasn't been created yet :/

VBB 3 looks like the dogs bits but they are not going to release it until its near as bedamned perfect. Which is nice since we wont have to do loads of patching/upgrades but annoying as we want the new cool features NOW NOW NOW.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by Gordon

FREE THE KITTENCAKE!

I think I'll make a cake with little pictures of kittens on them.

I heartily endorse etc. :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by DeVore:

And you *know* its going to be a can of worms unless handled correctly.
    Dunno about that, PI seems to be handling itself quite well, and that has far more traffic than any Gay/Lesbo board would ever have. Unless you're referring to a different set of worms? (sorry couldn't resist).

PI is doing ok because the three mods there work their butts off keeping it within bounds :)

Also, I doubt thats as likely to incense the moral objection of numerous 16 year olds who want to trash "dose fukin queers wha!". The thing is we thought that UBB 3 was "just about to be released"... that was two months ago or more and no sign yet so we were holding out for it. I'm gonna ask for a latest expected release date and see what the story is.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

neither has the boobies board...strange

Also, I doubt thats as likely to incense the moral objection of numerous 16 year olds who want to trash "dose fukin queers wha!".
    Hmm, I don't think this is the appropriate thread to argue moderation techniques over one particular board. I'll just add that I don't agree fully with your reasoning on this issue, and leave it at that.

The point is made though that there are a lot of boards that are kept in limbo with a "yeah we might do that if..." approach. While I agree that a few of the suggested boards might not be suited to boards.ie, I think it would be helpful to at least give some form of definite answer even if it boils down to "no, not for now at least".

[aside]
    My 500th post, woo hoo :rolleyes:
    [/aside]

[aside]
    [/aside]

Welcome fellow freak...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Can kittencake please be added to the list of banned words.

Will Vb3 support Kittencake?

FREEEEE! The KITTEN..CAKE!
    Bake a pussy in a pie!

FREEEEE! The KITTEN..CAKE!
    Let them know it's christmas time!

This post sponsored by Kittencake(tm). It's a pet, it's a snack. It's a motherfunstering WAY OF LIFE. Man.

(I'm not mad. I'm just big boned)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by amp
    (I'm not mad. I'm just being boned)
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

A retro hardware board wouldn't need VBB3- hell it doesn't even need a 16-bit processor.:D

I'll get me coat then.:(

ehh...
    badoom tish?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Hmm, I don't think this is the appropriate thread to argue moderation techniques over one particular board. ..... it boils down to "no, not for now at least".

[aside]
    [/aside]

I agree with that swiss fella. Dev , I wouldn't have thought you'd be a person to be so wary of taking a "risk" , implement a glb board or whatever the hell its called now with existing software, and see how it goes, learn from experience, if needs be lock it down hard like the cs board.

500 posts ? Jesus swiss mines 4 times as big. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Originally posted by Ruaidhri
    neither has the boobies board...strange

I'm still suffering nightly panic attacks resulting from it's denial.

I'll say it again , loud for the cheap seats...

Our decision has nothing to do with the content. I'm not concerned about taking a "risk" as you say, what I'm concerned about is that the admins have VERY LITTLE TIME at the moment, Cloud is mad busy with lectures and when he isnt he's helping Regi set up the new server. Regi is working on the new server getting everything set up (remember there is a LOT of stuff on Boards, like members areas and Usenet news feeds etc etc
    that have to move with us too... Vexorg is in Cuba smoking cigars and I'm the only one on Crowd Control :)

Now, its bad enough with the CS forum being reopened and the number of commercial spammers we blow away not to mention the IRA spastics and the People Republic of Kim. What I'm concerned about is that I wont get a minutes peace unless we set it up in a smart fashion.

The other thing is that we are thinking about something perhaps BETTER then that, or at least a great departure from Boards.ie's history.

Not to mention that I have to write up the charter for Boards going forward. A New-Mod Pack, a FAQ for new users and I have a company to run :)
    So, I'm just thinking about a few things right now and we'll determine the best way forward for us.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

I wont get a minutes peace unless we set it up in a smart fashion.

Gone offers mod assistance. Its actually frightening the amount of time I spend on boards.ie tween classes and *cough* during labs *cough*.

endPimping();

Its not about mods. Its about setting it up in a smart way.
    Smart meaning that we arent just trying to match the tide of muppets with an army of admins/mods.

And as for the original point, I think if you go back and look at the thread, there WAS a very clear decision posted. It was decided to wait for VB3 and its additional options (like passworded forums and time control on access to certain forums so you'd have to be here say a week before you got access to some forums).

DeV.

Advertisement