Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30% faster (ok up 30%)

Options
  • 13-11-2002 4:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

How can eircon get away with advertising adsl @ 30% faster. Why don't they just say 100% faster. Compared to what?

Jazus these b's should be sent a miniture statue of Mr. Justice Flood for Christmas!

56 x by what = 10 is just 560. Adsl (on a good night) is 510. My brain is frazzled.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

they don't say 30% faster. They say 30 times faster. That's for some of their faster products. 512Kbs ADSL is roughly 10 times faster than dialup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ocrasorm

OOPS! Now who else had a pint last night? I meant 30 times faster. They are advertising i-Stream aren't they? So how fast does i-Stream go up to then?

their i-Scream service seems to only go up to 1Mb/s which is only around 23 - 25 times faster than dialup so unless they have another product that delivers around 1.5Mb/s then they are lying about the speeds they can deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

Esat do offer 2Mbits. By my calculations this is approximately 2,000 / 50 = 40 times faster.

So, eircom must have a 1.5Mbits product to do 30 times faster.....

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Originally posted by LFCFan
    their i-Scream service seems to only go up to 1Mb/s which is only around 23 - 25 times faster than dialup so unless they have another product that delivers around 1.5Mb/s then they are lying about the speeds they can deliver.

Eircom regard average dialup speed as 33Kb.... at least that's what the told the ASAI when I complained about their ads. So in that sense, you can see where the 30 is coming from.
    (33*30 = 990Kb ~=1024Kb=1Mb)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by DC
    So, eircom must have a 1.5Mbits product to do 30 times faster.....
    Sure, wouldn't that be too fast. All that information flying at you. Isn't it bad enough as it is?

Originally posted by timod
    Eircom regard average dialup speed as 33Kb.... at least that's what the told the ASAI when I complained about their ads. So in that sense, you can see where the 30 is coming from.
    (33*30 = 990Kb ~=1024Kb=1Mb)

Unbelievable. Even they admit their dialup service is a joke. How can one company do so much to piss off an entire country yet the government just sit back and let it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by LFCFan
    How can one company do so much to piss off an entire country yet the government just sit back and let it happen.
    Welcome to Ireland :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Unbelievable. Even they admit their dialup service is a joke. How can one company do so much to piss off an entire country yet the government just sit back and let it happen.

Average speeds of Dial up in this country are 33~kps not everybody lives next door to the exchange I have experience of people getting less than 14 the place is a mess but what the hell can we do unless were willing to spend top dollar for a service that I cant get in my home

most people who have crappy connections have so because of Pair Gains and DACS on the lines. This is something that needs to be addressed and sorted out. Otherwise €ircon should reduce the rental on lines that are shared!

• Advertisement
Advertisement