Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus bill arrived today / Increase of 20%

• 13-11-2002 6:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

Going by other peoples post they obviously charge different rates for each county.We are in Meath and for a yearly sub if you do it by direct debit(they give you 8% discount) it will cost you the grand total of €253.18 for the basic package,compared to last year of €198.There is still no digital or cable modem in the area and not likely to be for a while.The worst part is a friend lives in an estate a mile away which is done by Ntl and gets the same channel+2 more for €180.
    Can't remember if I heard right but did someone say when the Tv companies were looking for the increase that the odtr gave it to them with the conditions that there would no longer be a monopoly in any areas.

Comments

Theres a company called sky digital,most tv shops are agents for them , they are probably in your area.
    Much better investment than Crappus.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

did anyone else receive a nice letter from chorus telling us that their prices are going to rise across the board from 25 november due to channel costs.
    surely this is a bit exorbatent and how come there hasnt been much of a commotion about it like last years near 30 % increase. they talk about improving the channel line up but when i rang up customer service i was told i was getting no extra channels for the increase in price. they obviously are going to ignore the fact the regulator has told them to increase the line up to a basic 16 channels in the analogue cable pack by end of dec 2002.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Yeah I got that mail yesterday, uping the monthly cost for the basic service to 22yoyo's a month.... Can't seem to find the letter now..

Tho i was also wondering if they could just up the price like that... as for the extra channels, if they don't do as what they agreed with the ODTR, will anything actually happen if people complain about it...?

If chorus were being a little less economic with the truth, they would probably be telling you that the 20% is to help pay their bankers.
    It cannot be easy for them losing so many customers to Sky.
    I guess, those that are left have to carry the can and still suffer their dreadfull service.
    mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Merged into existing thread and renamed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

Another Chorus price rise?

They are going to lose so many more of their already dwindling subscriber numbers.

Their priority should be to radically improve their service, and customer service. They seem to have no problem in increasing their prices.

These guys are going nowhere fast - and they've got some neck, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

My dad got a letter last night from Chorus saying that we will be getting extra channels (15 I think) for free as part of the basic Chorus digital package. The price is €25.99 pm, but when he checked his bank statements he found that he had been paying ~€30 pm up to this point. I don't understand how our fees have been going down while everybody elses are going up. I'm in the Limerick area btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Actually, I might be wrong. I forgot that the €30 probably includes the MMDS box as well as the digital, in which case the overall price would increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Bizarrely, I received a letter saying the monthly charge for my D-MMDS service in Cork will REDUCE !

If only they'd fix it so that it's actually watchable instead of pixellated modern art I'd be getting a relly good deal.

:rolleyes:

Ozpass - waht was your old price, and what's the new price with the reduction for the basic digital package??

• Advertisement

with regard to the digital price i rang them 3 weeks ago and was quoted 38 euros for the mmds service for 34 channels . are they for real on this??? sky charge 26.99 for over 70 channels (utv and c4 excepted) maybe this is why they reduced your price ozpass how many channels are u getting now they must have been losing customers in their droves to sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Here you go folks...

The exact content of the letter is:

.....blah.....blah......From 25th November 2002 the cost of your CHorus Digital package will reduce! Chorus basic and TV4 will reduce to €27.99 and Chorus Home will reduce to €57.99.

New Rates:

Chorus + TV4 €27.99
    Chorus + TV4 (Direct Debit) €25.99
    Chorus Home €57.99
    Chorus Home (Direct Debit) €55.99

Additional digital outlets at €15.00 per month ........blah

They're refusing to give me a rebate despite my TV service being unwatchable for the last 3 weeks, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I said to Chorus I wanted equivalent of Sky Knowledge (22 Euro), i.e. particularly Animal Planet and Discovery. Cheapest and only option was €38.38 for Digital MMDS. No discount for having Chorus Wireless loop phone already either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭jister

I know a person who is in a senior position working for Chorus. Apparently they are losing 100 customers a day to sky.

The only thing that chorus have left is that they are offering UTV and CH4. (they are constantly advertising this at the moment) Once sky start to offer these then Chorus will be dead. (which he predicts within a year) Also lots of people are able to "chip" the analogue chorus boxes to get free sports / movies and because of this they haven't moved to sky yet.

I recently got a quote off Chorus for €27/month for a digital package with about 1/4 the number channels as sky digital for the same price.

My advise is go straight to sky if you are going digital

In fact my friend has sky installed at home instead of Chorus. I think that says it all.

>>>Apparently they are losing 100 customers a day to sky. <<<

Indeed. If the explosion of mini-dishes all over the country is anything to go by, then I'd certainly believe it.

Chorus can't obviously sustain this ongoing loss of customers. It will be interesting to see how they cope. I suspect that they will slash their prices over the next 12 months in an effort to survive. But, it will be a case of too little, too late.

They only have themselves to blame.

if you look at chorus digital lineup is it any wonder they are loosing customers to sky. among the great offering of 35 channels are qvc bloomberg and uk style. now im sure there is a minority interest in these channels but surely E4 would seem a more logical choice. perhaps the people in chorus think that these were the cheapest to carry and so could justify the €38

Advertisement