Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jury Duty

Options
  • 13-11-2002 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Dunno if this is the right place for this, sorry if i am wrong, Mods feel free to move it to the right place.

Got a jury summons yesterday. It was forwarded to me at my new house. I have moved from wicklow to laois and to attend would cause me to drive a 200 mile trip. Is there any way out of this. I have registered to vote in Laois. Do I have a good excuse?

Thanks in advance

James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Probably more suited to humanities, but I wouldn't worry about it. As for jury duty, well you have an excuse alright, and I would probably accept it were I presiding over the case. However, as they say IANAL.

Just tell them that you are not ordinarily resident in Wicklow, and that to move would cause great inconvenience (which is true). If that doesn't work then you can always say that you believe everyone is guilty until proven innocent ;). That should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I've been called for Jury duty twice.

The first time I got excused because my employer sent a letter in saying it was unconvienient for them to let me do jury duty. It was accepted and I was exempted.

5 years later to the day I was called again, tried the letter from the employer but they did not let me off that time. I was called into the Criminal Court and I got called onto a jury for a rape trial, the judge made it clear that this trial could goto 2 weeks, as I was off on holidays the next week I informed him and he excused me.

I would suggest sending a letter in explaining that you are now living in a different location and the hardship it would cause you to do jury duty at this location. A letter from your employer could help also.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by gandalf
    I've been called for Jury duty twice.

The first time I got excused because my employer sent a letter in saying it was unconvienient for them to let me do jury duty. It was accepted and I was exempted.

5 years later to the day I was called again, tried the letter from the employer but they did not let me off that time. I was called into the Criminal Court and I got called onto a jury for a rape trial, the judge made it clear that this trial could goto 2 weeks, as I was off on holidays the next week I informed him and he excused me.

I would suggest sending a letter in explaining that you are now living in a different location and the hardship it would cause you to do jury duty at this location. A letter from your employer could help also.

Gandalf.

Thanks

I am a third level student and the time lost would be a detriment to my studies. Are students exempt?

James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bertiebowl

Students are not exempt from jury duty......anyone over the age of 18 (with the exception of teachers and professional educators - who can excuse themselves) is liable to be called for jury duty.

Under Irish law employers must pay for the employees wages while they are on jury duty.......but if your self employed its tough cheese.........

Whats the worst they can do? Fine me €63.50

There was something about students in the summons.

Anyone able to clarify?

James

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by bertiebowl
    Students are not exempt from jury duty......anyone over the age of 18 (with the exception of teachers and professional educators - who can excuse themselves) is liable to be called for jury duty.

Under Irish law employers must pay for the employees wages while they are on jury duty.......but if your self employed its tough cheese.........

Afaik, students are exempt, if attending jury duty will cause you to miss something unretrievable, which all lectures essentially are.

The following persons may be excused as of right from jury service:

Members of the either House of the Oireachtas, members of the Council of State, the Comptroller and Auditor General, the Clerks of Dáil Éireann and Seanad Éireann, a person in Holy Orders, a minister of any religious denomination or community, members of monasteries and convents, aircraft pilots, full-time students and ship's masters.

Taken from http://www.oasis.gov.ie/justice/jury_service/eligibility_and_selection.html
    Of course, if you wish, you can do it anyway, but obviously you won't.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

does the old "Im an IRA supporting nutter" thing work in getting you off doing it?

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    does the old "Im an IRA supporting nutter" thing work in getting you off doing it?

I think that might land you in jail for a long time LOL:D

Thanks Seamus

I have sent off a letter explining that I am a full time student and that I do not live in Wicklow. I hope it works. BTW Do they reply to letters or do I just assume I am in the clear?

James

Yeap, you will get a reply from the court registrar.
    I got called twice and wrote on both occasions , explaining how at that time because of my job, attendance would be impossible.

I would like to do it some time, time permitting as it would be an interesting experience-not on a case thats going to last mionths mind.
    mm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

A Jury Summons is just that, a summons, like being summoned to court on a traffic offence. You are expected to attend. However you may be excused for a variety of reasons as seamus so kindly researched :).

When I did Jury Duty, even after all of us being sworn in, some people said they couldn't do it if the trial lasted two weeks because one was going on holidays and the other had a hyperactive child who needed close attention. The judge excused them.

Just remember, whatever anyone decides to do if they're in this situation, make sure you send the form back or you'll be summoned anyway - to pay a €60 fine!

Just an update.

Got a nice letter back on Friday saying that the summons was withdrawn and that I would have to attend.

Thanks to all those who helped.

James

Advertisement