Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motion of No Confidence - Mr McCreevy

Options
  • 13-11-2002 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

Do you have confidence in Mr. McCreevy as Minister of Finance?

Do you have confidence in McCreevy as Minister of Finance? 14 votes

Yes - Keep him in the job - he's the best person equiped to sort out the public finances.
    7% 1 vote
    No - Mr McCreevy must resign as he had destroyed confidence in the Irish economy.
    92% 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Leaving aside the whole agument of whether the government has been fiscally wise , up until now, and whether they were honest about the state of the economy in the runup to the election, then ...

I believe McCreevy is well qualified to be in the job as finance minister, given his accounting backround.

I think he has shown he can and will force other depts to regin in there spending when he has to. Thus I do believe he can 'administer the medicine' the irish economy needs.

I do think that we are very much affected by the global economy, and that the best we can do is to run a tight ship, and wait till the prevailing conditions improve.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭damien_gill

I agree with Xterminator we have an excellent minister for finance.

In fact Mc Creevey is the only member of Fianna Fail that I'd ever vote for. He doesn't **** around which is the way a politician should be.

I also agree,McCreevy is well capable.
    It's just the nature of politics that, incumbants squander a bit to get re-elected.
    When the opposition give me proof positive that the same defecit wouldn't have happened if they were in power at the time then I'll say McCreevy was bad.
    It might even have been worse under a different admin, who knows?
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

A McCreevy Love-in - I wasn't expecting this ;)

Though I do agree with what has been said so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Thomas

>I also agree,McCreevy is well capable.
    >It's just the nature of politics that, >incumbants squander a bit to get >re-elected.
    >When the opposition give me proof >positive that the same defecit wouldn't >have happened if they were in power at >the time then I'll say McCreevy was bad.
    >It might even have been worse under a >different admin, who knows?
    >mm

the fact that it is common for a minister to over spend for political reasons is hardly a defense of mcgreevy's accounting ability.

also, saying that it could have been worse is a mute point - ww2 could have been worse with someone other than hitler in control but that hardly means that hitler was a good leader does it?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Thomas

please excuse the miss-spelling of McCreevy in my last post..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I think that if you need an example of the brass neck of our opposition TDs - Look at the McCreevy motion.

What have FG to offer? Their manifesto was not great. Is this the best our opposition TDs can come up with.

I think Mr. McCreevy should have a no cofidence motion in the opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭aine

Their manifesto was not great.

fair enough the opposition's manifesto wasnt the best, but FF are slowly but surely starting to erode theirs...the lastest is that the 200,000 extra madical cards that had been promised for January will not become available due to "the worsening state of the public finances"

Keeping him in the job because you dont think there is anybody else to fill the role is hardly solid grounds to ahng onto the guy....he has grossly mismanaged the public finances and now when things are going pear shaped its the public that will suffer!!

If there is only one sloid reason to keep him as minister for finance its to force him to sort out the mess he has helped create or admit defeat and resign!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

just remember these are not "cutbacks" the're "adjustments"

lynch the fcuker. he squandered every penny that this country made in the last 5 years.

Originally posted by Thomas
    [Bthe fact that it is common for a minister to over spend for political reasons is hardly a defense of mcgreevy's accounting ability.

also, saying that it could have been worse is a mute point - ww2 could have been worse with someone other than hitler in control but that hardly means that hitler was a good leader does it?! [/B]
    *cough* what I'm really saying is he deserves to stay there for sucessfully pulling the wool over everybodys eyes last may.
    Counting the PD's and Fianna Fáil independents , there was a majority ahern government re-elected on a par with Jack Lynch's 1977 result.
    It was a master stroke , to have us all so happy, that we were so willing with our number one and two votes.
    And what has changed in five short months??
    But did he pull any wool at all?
    What Mr McCreevy spent was there for all to see back in May, but we weren't interested, in short, we all felt too good.
    The big difference now is of course that there has been a global economic slow down,choking last years budgets revenue expectations.
    It's decimated the pension fund, McCreevy was investing in the markets for us-clearly he wasn't expecting that, but neither was I, and maybe I would have paid a little more tax myself and not done extra pension contributions,I'd have been better off.

For sure slag off the minister, but don't expect any magic from a replacement, they'll make mistakes too.
    mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I was wondering when we would get McCreevy and Hitler in the same post :rolleyes:

One only has to compare with Gordon Brown in the UK. He's just discovered he's in the same boat, tax revenues are way down, economy not peforming like he had estimated for. Germany is not keeping within Euro-zone spending limits.... it goes on.

Its not just us folks.... have a look at the wider picture...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

also, saying that it could have been worse is a mute point

tirelessrebutter.jpg

It's 'moot'. MOOT! Christ!

I'm with DisgoStu, nail up the arrogant little prick. He's taken a tiger, turned it into a pussy and pushed it firmly towards becoming the smelly, scrawny, moth-eaten bag of piss that Fianna Fáil created the last time they were allowed play with the country. There mightn't be much better in opposition out there, but that's no excuse for having a tosser like McCreevy in charge of the purse. It's like giving your credit card to a degenerate gambler.

I have a hammer and nails, call me when you need me. I have other, more interesting implements ready for his friend.

adam

I think that if the Irish people were so outraged aganist the government - they would have shoot the Nice Treaty down.

Cutbacks will happen this year - We are into year 1 of a 5 year government.

This government has time enough to be generous. Winning a third term is very much on the cards.

It is one thing Bertie and Tony Blair have in Common.

Ian Duncan and our Enda have more in common than you would expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The news this morning said it all perfectly in one line.......

"This is the first time in years that Mr. McCreevy has had to take back more than he's given away."

He's been screwing us. I saw it the last 2 years, that he was squandering our money like some knacker who's just won the lotto. Last year, he took money from public funds, i.e. money that wasn't income last year, to fuel his pre-election budget and make himself come out smelling of roses. And the electorate were happy to let him, because they didn't have to pay any more tax and could continue wasting their own money on 3L Pajeros and frivilous luxury items.

Bertie claims in the Dáil yesterday;

"Mr. McCreevy is responsible for the immense growth we have experienced over the last few years".

****ing arse! Our economy had been on the brink of booming since 1991. Yet Bertie and Charlie step in when everything's going fine and come out looking like the golden boy saviours of Ireland. No, it's time for them all to go down.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Why is the opposition so critical of Charlie?? He is a great man. And in my opinion one of the best politicians in Irish politics since Charlie Hahey and DeV...

Those that proposed no-confidence in Charlie are traitors to Ireland and should be treated as such.
    Can you call yourself Irish and say no to Charlie.

You owe him. He deserves the right to reduce the gambling tax in return for a half million euro tap at Paddy Powers and his debt cleared....

Charlie for FF Leader

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

I'm very thankful that he is maintaining the status quo and keeping us higher more important classes up.

"The gap between rish and poor is widening" is the best news I heard all year.... :)

****ing arse! Our economy had been on the brink of booming since 1991. Yet Bertie and Charlie step in when everything's going fine and come out looking like the golden boy saviours of Ireland. No, it's time for them all to go down.....

Eaten bread is soon forgotten.

Of course - we need efficency is our Health & Education services - too much money is being squandered.

Look at all those Health Boards, Look at the short school year, all those needless county, city & Town Councils.

It is about time that - the state became efficent.

Why can't you get your Driving licence at the post office? Why can't you pay parking fines there? Why can't you buy parking discs there?

Something had to give.

I think - Hiouse prices are the biggest bubble in our economy - the last Green bottle left on the wall. Who will people blame when they drop? Charlie McCreevy of course.

Anybody but themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Cork
    Who will people blame when they drop? Charlie McCreevy of course.

Anybody but themselves

Well, as Pat Rabbitte said, Charlie McCreevy got us into this mess, and now he's blaming us and hurting us, getting us out of this mess. I do totally blame the people. They were far too wrapped up in their own happy happy land, and went and voted McCreevy back in.

McCreevy ethos is "when I have money I spend it, when I don't have it, I don't". As I said, akin to a traveller winning the lotto. And this man is supposed to be an accountant?! What kind of messed ethos is that? When you have money, you spend a little more and save a little more. When you don't have money, you spend the same amount, and use what you've saved.

But of course, McCreevy has ****ed all that up with his insistance on blowing our cash over the last few years. Now he's cutting us drastically back, despite the fact that we can easily absorb minor loans and higher taxes. And cutting the first time buyers grant? WTF? This guy hasn't a clue what's best for this country.

Well since our economic troubles are part of a global downturn I don't think it was his fault.

As sceptre said, McCreevy's spending was totally over the top. Not only that, it was money /badly/ spent, as our ongoing comms crisis demonstrates (although Korea knocks the "global" argument on the head just a tad). Seriously, I accept that the current problems aren't completely McCreevy's fault, but he has a lot to answer for. But he won't, because, as I mentioned, he's an arrogant little prick. Some Irish people admire that, I think it's reprehensible for a public representative not to answer for his actions. The man is a liar. There's nothing admirable about that.

[ Christ, I'm starting to sound like that other wanker. I'll shut up now. ]

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by dahamsta
    As sceptre said

Ah, credit where credit is due - the "real" seamus (as opposed to the one who decided that the name his mother gave him wasn't good enough online:)) said that. Couldn't have said it better myself though so I've nothing much to add. I'll just read what seamus said and pretend that Seamus (me) said it:D (it's what I would have said anyway)

It's as simple as this: McCreevy has been saying for the last five years that the credit for the new Irish economy should go to him. Now he's saying that the downturn was caused by other things. In other words, when things go well it's down to him and his buddies but when the public finances to wallop it's someone else's responsibility (or worse: we should /all/ have known he was just buying the election and it's really our fault).

Personally I've thought the economy was running McCreevy around for the past five years and that he's never had any control over it (I've backed it up with economic theory in other threads so I won't do it again). He's put himself in this position by seeking the glory and praise. Tough, Charlie. The only downside is that his arrogance will affect us all. Responsible people know that you don't spend all the money you have (and some you don't) - there just might be a rainy day tomorrow. Tomorrow is here - anything in the piggy bank? Thought not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

The man is a liar. There's nothing admirable about that.

What has he lied about? Note - for him to be a liar, he must be aware that what he is saying is not true. I'm not trying to deride the man, but I've already taken a stance about posters calling people liars. Back it up, or rescind the comment please.

Much and all as people might dislike the man, precious few complaints were heard when he was throwing money about left right and centre, except perhaps that he might have spent less on X and more on Y. No-one really took a strong stance that he actually spend less. I definitely cant remember hearing anyone complain that the tax cut they received was too big.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by bonkey
    What has he lied about?
    Wasn't there a government memo sent round just after the election, telling ministers cuts would have to be made? After the government had said repeatedly during the campaign that there were "no plans for any cuts"? Maybe not an outright lie, but certainly misleading...

The Fianna Fail General Election campaign was one huge lie, and the Finance Minister had a huge part to play in it. The entire campaign was built around assertions about Finance and the economy, 95% of which have been reneged upon. McCreevy is responsible for the mis- and disinformation.

It could be argued that Bertie told him what to do, or even that McCreevy's handlers are responsible, but the buck stops with McCreevy, and he appears to delight in that, so let him take the criticism too. I view his behaviour as deceptive, and although you mightn't want to use the L word, I find it appropriate.

To me, it's crystal clear.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭aine

Well since our economic troubles are part of a global downturn I don't think it was his fault.

that may be true but still and all its a government's job to try and stabilise a country's economic cycle not agitate it! if the global turn down hadnt induced our current state of public finances the FF/PD coalition would have done it soon enough anyway! they are trying to establish a system here that were are just not yet economically ready for!

The Fianna Fail General Election campaign was one huge lie, and the Finance Minister had a huge part to play in it. The entire campaign was built around assertions about Finance and the economy, 95% of which have been reneged upon. McCreevy is responsible for the mis- and disinformation.

It could be argued that Bertie told him what to do, or even that McCreevy's handlers are responsible, but the buck stops with McCreevy, and he appears to delight in that, so let him take the criticism too. I view his behaviour as deceptive, and although you mightn't want to use the L word, I find it appropriate.

To me, it's crystal clear.

adam

Nonsence - All political partys has access to data from the Department Of Finance. Matt Coopper & David McWilliams highlighted that the economy was in for a nose dive.

Yet - Fg and Labour out did themselves with their lavish manifestos.

Originally posted by Cork
    Nonsence - All political partys has access to data from the Department Of Finance. Matt Coopper & David McWilliams highlighted that the economy was in for a nose dive.

Yet - Fg and Labour out did themselves with their lavish manifestos.
    Thats a fair point actually, either somebody was asleep or we were all drunk on the Tiger punch, not to be bothered with forensically examining what we were voting for.

(Indeed, even for a month or two afterwards, many were debating whether we should be spending all the money we were supposed to have at our disposal on the Bertie Bowl or do the moral thing and reform the health service, build more school extensions etc...)

Independent newspapers , with their huge circulation weren't exactly running thinly veiled articles urging us to Vote for John Bruton et al.

We were all fairly happy and returned the same old bunch, for lack of a decent alternative or want of one.
    Cork is right if he is saying that if a rainbow coalition was returned last may , they would by now be dropping most of the promises in their election manifesto like hot cakes.

Even if there was a Rainbow there from '97 to 02 and they had diverted most of the monies gone to the state pension fund,SSIA's etc to the health service, political croneyism would have continued , meaning only probably a slightly better health today due to bureocracy.
    We would still be facing serious cutbacks at the hands of falling exchequer revenue due to the current world slump.
    mm

• Advertisement

David McWillians this evening on the Last word said that we were like a West African coutry - getting back capital expenditure while maintaining big armies.

I think that the bench marking needs to be scrapped in the National interest. All health boards need to be scrapped & health & education need complete re-organisation.

Resources need to be spent efficently. But at the same time - Services need to be improved for the monies that are spent on them.

Will Bertie take on the Unions? Hardly.

Everything looks pretty bleak.

Spending will go up through the roof - if bench marking is paid & services will suffer.

Advertisement