Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigsmart Compilation 2

Options
  • 13-11-2002 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭

Hi All....opinions please.

Im putting together a compilation disc of unsigned bands in Dublin....we did this a while back and Phantom helped us(Thanks Pete & Pete) at the launch and with loads of airplay and stuff and it was great...this time we are more experienced and more on top of things in terms of having our ear to the ground and finding great bands that have been gigging regularly......now I have a few Gigsmart associated bands that I definitely wish to include....but at this point can't confirm they will want to participate but anyway here's the direction Im going in.....

Polar
    OZ
    Violent Sky
    Popstar
    Jessica Insane
    Finger Mouse

Bands from the board I would like to talk too about this would be

Sundogs
    Johnny Pyro
    Seratona
    Playground Psychotic

No offence taken if youre not interested.

I would like to hear from other bands or organisations who would like in on this venture also.

I want to point out that this is not to raise funds or whatever...although some return would be nice for the bands involved....but my motivation is purely driven by a desire to get more people interested in the live scene in Dublin and to help generate a bit more interest in the bands themselves...giving more leverage with venues and ultimatley delivering better organised gigs with good relations with the venues themselves. Principally to understand this concept you may need to have a look at the gigsmartireland.com site but the overall deal is

An Unsigned Disc promo'd and distributed to as many people as possible to say.....look at the bands that are right here on your doorstep ....why has gigsmart undertaken to do this....cause we're all in bands and want to exist in a better scene.

Im aiming to have it done by mid March...why so long?..... I want it done well , need time to get sponsorship and to organise the resources people volunteer as best we can.

If anyone has any talents , contacts or motivation that can contribute to making this a reality please drop a line here or mail me trev.mooney@mailcity.com.....I would also like to point out that Gigsmart has never failed to follow through a committment once its been made and this will happen!!!.

All the best - Trev M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Neil_B

cool so were game! We've just finished some new stuff and all so its great timing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Neil - You're in Sundogs right??

Can you mail me so I can add you into the mail list for the project.

Just to outline how this will work....maybe shoulda done this earlier.

Establish list of interested bands, compile mailing list. No limit on number of bands involved. All bands will be asked to submit a track. The disc will be limited to 15 tracks, if we have more than that, the collective group involved in the project will be asked to grade all of the tracks. best scoring 15 go on the disc. This group will be made up of anyone who wishes to be involved in the project (so mail me if you interested please)

While we compile the above info and get geared up I also want to get people to fill in a form so we can establish who can help out in deifferent areas. I.e promo, printing duplication, publicicty, running gigs to promote the bands on the disc itself etc etc.

once we've indentified the resources available amongst the pool we all meet up. Decide who takes ownership of various tasks. I will coordinate all the activities so everyone knows whats going on adn will provdie all the acumulated information on the project before the meeting so you all know who's who and what their onvolvement will be.

Once the tracks are decided we get technical.....track order and more importantly mastering technicalities........this was a nightmare and took 2 months to get right last time around so input and help is gonna be required, I was technically inefficient and also underqualified for the task.

I want this to be the best it can be and Im really commmitted to doing this and want it to be a demo(nstration) of what can be achieved by unsigned bands co operating. So hope people climb on board.

All the best
    Trev

PS Would the following people be interested in lending an ear once we have the music end of it together.

Sandi, Kurdt, Raggamuffin, The drowner, Brain D, Paul Clarke, Steve Conway, Metalish, Knobbles, Lamda, Shorty,Rapture Queen, Silver Fish, Soma, Back To Front????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭violent*sky

you can count us in!!!! i remember getting the first one off u in the sidewalk cafe a good while back and thinkin how much i wanted to be on one so.....yes yes yes good god yes!!!!! C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Neil_B

Yea its Neil from Sundogs.
    I mailed ya my address.
    cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

*got to try to accomodate you
    let check my plams for later
    i could probably fit you in my hectic social party lifestyle.....

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
    NOT
    E-NOUGH
    ME*

the feckers,obsolete with there heroine/crack cocaine addictive song!

many times have i stumbled down the rd pissed as a newt ,screaming

*YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!*

they beta not be on it this time....

J!VE

• Advertisement

hahaha the Obsolete track on the alst one was great all right , actually looking back on it there was a lot of great stuff on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭mojopin

Hi Trevor it's tom here from beautiful losers. Firstly can I get your number or details as we are interested in playing some gigsmart gigs, with yous in particular. Secondly we would also like to be considerd for the compilation with nothing expected in return. My email address is doorknob@mail.com. Talk to you soon.

www.beautifullosers.info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

I as a talentless Joe Soap of the public would be more than happy to hear it when its done Trev!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

Originally posted by Trev M
    Would the following people be interested in lending an ear once we have the music end of it together.

Sandi, Kurdt, Raggamuffin, The drowner, Brain D, Paul Clarke, Steve Conway, Metalish, Knobbles, Lamda, Shorty,Rapture Queen, Silver Fish, Soma, Back To Front????

i'd be delighted to trev :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

Trev, of course! I'd lend both my ears! I love the Dublin music scene and there are so many good bands out there.
    Why don't you add Murder of Crows to that list. Part-time Saviour is an amazing song. I think they said they were hoping to release it at some stage, and now that they've won the IMRO battle of the bands thingy, they'll have an EP out in the next few months hopefully.

• Advertisement

Hey all thanks for the feedback....and Sandi , just so you know Part Time Saviour was on the first Gigsmart compilation disc and the lads have played numerious Gigsmart gigs and will of course be included in the disc......evidence if you will that gigsmart were there to help the lads along before they became superstars!!!!

all the best and thanks guys - I'll add the lot of you guys to the mail list for the project!

Cmon all you people who complain about Irish music how about having an input eh???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

hey have you asked calling walter cracker?
    do they still work with you?
    they're nice lads and they've a few songs recorded and i'm sure they'd love to be on the cd...

Actually - no I havent, and your right very decent lads if I remember correctly have you a mail address??

The delerentos aswell spring to mind here also must look them lads up1

Ya got my head thinking again now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Beany

Originally posted by Gar_ptc

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
    NOT
    E-NOUGH
    ME*

the feckers,obsolete with there heroine/crack cocaine addictive song!

many times have i stumbled down the rd pissed as a newt ,screaming

*YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!*

they beta not be on it this time....

J!VE

Heh-heh Gar! You have been sucked in by the subliminal catchiness of that tune...you'll be glad to know that we have four equally tortuorsly catchy tunes being mastered as we speak, so we'd love to be included in the second phase if there is a few minutes left on it...or in our case 2 minutes should be enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

i ve spent one thousand nights stirring in mid-sleep ,murmuring..

*not enough....not enough...NOT ENOUGH MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!*

WHEN YOU GENTS GOING TO BE PLAYING UP HERE NEXT?

or even down in mullingar;

OBSOLETE

OTRANOME

JESSICA INSANE *with a special vomit-rendition of "the exhibishionist* ;)

what a mullingar line up!!
    id wet myself.... eh britta?! ;)

i'm cheeky,me

i'm on a bit of an x-constant buzz today so i reckon ya should throw a track on there by x-constant!

also, i hope you're not forgetting yourself trev!!! i hope theres gonna be some otranome on there too :)

endless nameless would be my choice, defo my favourite otranome track ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭rapture_queen

I would also be very happy to have a listen and give "my very good expert opinion"

mwah ha ha !

Originally posted by Trev M
    hahaha the Obsolete track on the alst one was great all right , actually looking back on it there was a lot of great stuff on there.

me again, sorry!

is there any chance i could get a copy of that first compilation cd?

• Advertisement

Hi All ,
    Sorrry Im only getting back to y'all now , beeen busy. I will make copies of the first comp disc for those of you looking for one. The first mail for everyone involved will go out later today just to fill you all in on who partiocipating and what happens next.

All the best - Trev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Keithaburke

Trev my good man,
    We would be absolutley delighted if you'd put a track of ours on the CD. I can send you one of our three songers if you like. Throw me an oule e-mail with a postal address and I'll mail it to you.

If I can do anything to help I surely will,

Good man Kirn for thinking of us... I'd nearly forgotten myself.

Keith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i'd also like a copy, thanks!
    is it freeeeee?

Tis free to anyone who;s down with the posse !!! !!Hahaha for you of course its free !!

All the best - Trev

good stuff trev...cheers!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Beany

i ve spent one thousand nights stirring in mid-sleep ,murmuring..

*not enough....not enough...NOT ENOUGH MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!*

WHEN YOU GENTS GOING TO BE PLAYING UP HERE NEXT?

or even down in mullingar;

OBSOLETE

OTRANOME

i'm cheeky,me

We have to start practicing for some live gigs soon...we're on the lookout for another guitarist so we can make more noise, but they're thin on the ground in the Gar, so might take a while...and then there's the routine of teaching him/her the songs, how to jump of household items, screeeeeeaam their head off etc.

All these things take time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Britnik

OBSOLETE

OTRANOME

i'm cheeky,me

Now now Gar, less of the talk about wetting one's self!!!!!

I was strong, I fought it and I beat that moment of weakness!!!!

But, yes, one would wet themselves with that line-up....

update tomorrow by mail

Advertisement