Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs and late bars are getting even more expensive

• 13-11-2002 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

After Feb 2002 bars started to increase prices. Now it seems that they are doing it even further.
    A week and a half ago I got a pint of Kronenbourg for €4 at Sosume.
    This last Thurs it was €4.80. When you go to any other EU country Kronenbourg is actually a cheap lager not more expesive.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

did you get them at the same time?
    A lot of pubs put up their prices the later in the night it is.
    Eamonn Dorans for example put pints from 3.90 to 4.50 after 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

Yea I started to complain to the bartender (I know it's not his fault) he said the same thing. It was actually at about the same time. I know they start to increase prices after regular hours.
    As I understand it that isn't legal anyway. I could be wrong though.
    Even so both times were at about midnight or 1AM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Loomer
    I know they start to increase prices after regular hours.
    As I understand it that isn't legal anyway. I could be wrong though.

I don't know a great deal about this but AFAIK pubs have to have a price list displayed (at least for the common beers) - I'd guess they could cover themselves by making reference to price increases after a certain hour on this display. I too could be wrong though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Originally posted by sceptre
    I don't know a great deal about this but AFAIK pubs have to have a price list displayed (at least for the common beers) - I'd guess they could cover themselves by making reference to price increases after a certain hour on this display. I too could be wrong though

They did have to put a price list up a few years ago when the price freeze on alcohol came in to effect, not sure if it's still required though. I haven't noticed it in too many pubs I've been in recently.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

when there was a price freeze pubs still put their prices up after 11:00. Surely this was illegal at the time and it should be illegal now too. It's already overpriced before 11:00.

• Advertisement
Advertisement