Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Character

Options
  • 13-11-2002 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

Alrite everyone here we go who is your favourite character out of all the books you have ever read?

Mine would be Pug the magician from Raymond E. Feists Magician

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

my fave romanitc character is mr knightly from emma by jane austen. my fave character-ooooh-probably garfield ;)

i have to go home and think about this one

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I have to say I like Pug too.

Jack Reacher from Lee Child's books is one cool mofo.

As a bad guy you love to hate, I like Gary Soneji from 3 of James Patterson's Alex Cross novels.

I'll probably think of more. :)

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Currently Sangamon Taylor, 'eco-warrior' and self confessed muppet from Zodiac by Neal Stephenson. He reminds me of so many people I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Mine would be a Russian chick called Ilia Volyova in a brilliant book called Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds.

What can I say, I have a thing for malevolent, chicks, plus, I find it breaks the mold that guys read sci-fi because they identify with the male protagonist.

From this book http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0441008356/qid=994551605/sr=1-1/kheper-20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 stonequeen

that's a really tough one! i loved aragorn (lotr). he had that whole ranger thing goin on. im sure there's thousands more i'll think of now in a minute. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

i liked Druss in the Drenai Novels , also i loved Althalus in the Redemption of Althalus by David & Leigh Eddings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

druss was amzing but do you know i really liked actually aswell and he was only in one druss book - bowman aka aaaagghhhhh i don't know i am gonna have to go home and look up his name...........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Richard Cypher (Rahl) in the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Marvin the paranoid Android from HGTTG!

Erik Von Darkmoor and Rupert Avery both from the riftwar........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I suppose, my favourite type of character would be more a world weary anti-hero. Steeped in cynicism but somehow manages to do the right thing, ie.
    Capt Vimes - Discworld series
    Doc Mautirin - Aubrey series, O'Brian
    Jon Shandow - Jerusalem Man Series, Gemmell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

COUNT DRACULA from Bram Stoker's Dracula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

mine would be one of the following 3 :

vimes - discworld
    waylander - those david gemell books
    ford perfect - hitch hikers guide to the galaxy

3 good choices there well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭DrizztIE

Harry Potter (the second edition / book) dunno what his real name is sorry.

I'm now reading Queen of the Damned thought the film was ok even though Aaliyah (god rest her soul) played deadly in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Jon Shannow ( Waylander ) Jerusalum Series by Gemmel funnily enough

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Gotta be Shylock :D

shylock - as in the merchant of venice?

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Detritus the Troll, Commander Vimes and Rincewind the Wizard all from the Fabled Terry Pratchett series...

As for other characters, there was a three part fantasy series of books I read from a female author years ago during my school days and for the love of sweet crouton I can't remember the name of the series or the author herself. She had some great characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Was it Katherine Kerr, The Dragon Lance Chronicles. I think that was a thrre part series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 jahras

Bernard Samson from Len Deighton's Game Set and Match trilogy
    (& the other 7 books)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

Shylock is great, agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by Kolodny
    Currently Sangamon Taylor, 'eco-warrior' and self confessed muppet from Zodiac by Neal Stephenson. He reminds me of so many people I know.
    He's fantastic.:D

My favourite would probably be another Neal Stephenson character. Lawrence Pritchard Waterhouse from Cryptonomicon. Everytime I think of the bit where he is drawing graphs to express his ability to concentrate against the amount of time since his last ejaculation I still get into stitches.
    As for other characters, there was a three part fantasy series of books I read from a female author years ago during my school days and for the love of sweet crouton I can't remember the name of the series or the author herself. She had some great characters.
    Could it have been the Earthsea Trilogy by Ursula K. Le Guin?
    Or maybe the Godborn books by Gerladine Harris?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by Funky
    i liked Druss in the Drenai Novels , also i loved Althalus in the Redemption of Althalus by David & Leigh Eddings

I found it hard to like Althalus, he was always whining about something and when he eventually did get it on with the special lady, he let her walk all over him .

Now druss is the dude but at the end of the day I would have to go for Waylander as my favourite character, but that's just how I feel at the moment ;)

Originally posted by Waylander
    Was it Katherine Kerr, The Dragon Lance Chronicles. I think that was a thrre part series.

Just noticed that message, Dragonlance chronicles was by Weis & Hickman. They also wrote the deathgate cycle, if you ever get an opportunity to read this then by all means do.

dragon lance was brilliant i remember reading them all when i was baout 13 or 14

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

One of the characters in David Gemmell's Ravenheart is very memorable. Jaime/Jim/James/Jamey i think his name is.....
    I think he's a rebel in the book, i really have to go read it again

Must be quite memorable alright :p, Jaime Grymauch was his name.

I am reading wheel of time and i am starting to like Rand in it

• Advertisement

How far in have you gotten legs, you could soon start to change your views on Rand. Now Perrin Ayabara......

Advertisement