Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Character

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

im only about 200 pages in haven't had much time to read it - i am gonna read all this week and hopefully finish it this week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    How far in have you gotten legs, you could soon start to change your views on Rand. Now Perrin Ayabara......
    Agreed that Rand fella will soon have you head-butting the book in irritation. As will descriptions of dresses with thorns climbing somewhere or other, girls "sniffing" and the fact that everything seems to be the size of pigeon eggs.

Perrin Aybara is pretty damn cool though.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

Teneka Kahn was very cool. I would have had him though.:D
    Pug is my overall fav.

B.M.

tenaka Khan was amazing it has to be said - damn does rand really get annoying now i can't wait to read the rest of this book

What about Ender from Ender's Game. That was such a cool book. I'd love to read it again, last time was around 10 years ago!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by boogie man
    What about Ender from Ender's Game. That was such a cool book. I'd love to read it again, last time was around 10 years ago!
    I think I've read it about 10-15 times. Still not tired of it.:)

That's done it DapperGent, It'll be the next book I read when I finish Waylander II.:D

P.S. Who wrote it, so I'll actually be able to find it in the book store?

It's by Orson Scott Card.

He wrote two sequels that are worth checking out: Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide.

Thanks. You are a Dapper Gent!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Liked Druss quite alot, there is a new Druss book coming out soon aswell. Dunno when it could really be set though...

Tenaka Khan, He does indeed own all your base.

• Advertisement

Talking of Tenaka Kahn, his mate Decado, the ice killer himself is also a really cool character. David Gemmell did a damn fine job of making him a hard, hard bast*rd. I would also have him though.;)

I have, however just decided, my favourite character is Roald Dahl's Uncle Oswald. Has any one ever read any of his short stories or one novel about Uncle Oswald? Certainly not for kids! Bloody brilliant I must say.

im starting to see what u mean about rand he is a bit of a knobhead actually

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Boxer. Or Mr Twit.
    Or Winston Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

hercule poirot-the guy is so funny coz hes so particular and precise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭[SG]BGA

Tyrion Lannister from George RR Martins superb fantasy series. Funny as hell, some of his observations on the rest of his family and his self deprecating humour were outstanding.
    Come to that, I'm starting to get rather fond of his brother Jaime...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Polagara just becuase

Originally posted by Thaed
    Polagara just becuase
    I had a crush on her when I was 13.

Originally posted by [SG]BGA
    Tyrion Lannister from George RR Martins superb fantasy series. Funny as hell, some of his observations on the rest of his family and his self deprecating humour were outstanding.
    Come to that, I'm starting to get rather fond of his brother Jaime...

Yeah, now if you were his sister :)

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Could it have been the Earthsea Trilogy by Ursula K. Le Guin?
    Or maybe the Godborn books by Gerladine Harris?

All I can remember are a few of the characters.
    Some girl who could shapeshift and was a student for some big shamen bloke (Both fell in love at the end) along with one of the books having a basilisk, three dark living blobs (One was named leaf as I remember) dragons (Or birds - Can't remember)... ARGH! They were in my local library - Rented them out and by god they were amazing books. Memory... hazy... Cannah... Rem.. em... ber...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Tyrion rocks as does the whole series of A Song of Ice and Fire in fact (Btw I cant stress enough how you need to buy these!!!).
    Im also going for Jon Snow from the above, Marvin, Commander Vimes, Nobby and lets not forget Legolas :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭fixer

Raymond Chandler's LA detective Philip Marlowe has been one of my favorites for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Sebastien Dangerfield from 'The Gingerman' or Charles Pooter from 'Diary of a Nobody'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

There was this dude in the david eddings books that had flaming red hair and he was coated in weapons he was pretty cool (in the books after belgarion). But Mandoralon he ****ing rocked!!!!!
    There best ever was when....
    Belgarion "The scouts have spotted 10,000 of the enemy to the east"
    Mandoralon "Tis of no matter ill take 500 of my knights and deal with this mild upset"

Bloodly cool!!!!! :D

have to agree with u there wolf twas rather spiffing

Originally posted by [-UK-]Wolf
    There was this dude in the david eddings books that had flaming red hair and he was coated in weapons he was pretty cool (in the books after belgarion). But Mandoralon he ****ing rocked!!!!!
    There best ever was when....
    Belgarion "The scouts have spotted 10,000 of the enemy to the east"
    Mandoralon "Tis of no matter ill take 500 of my knights and deal with this mild upset"

Bloodly cool!!!!! :D

I haven't read the Balgariad in donkeys, think I might get back to it soon. There are a few similar to MandorAllen in the Elenium, can't remember which, think it was the boy from the mountains.

IN that series though Garrath-Belgarath-Old Wolf, your choice, had to be my favourite, savior of the world one moment, drunken bastard the next....

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    I haven't read the Balgariad in donkeys, think I might get back to it soon. There are a few similar to MandorAllen in the Elenium, can't remember which, think it was the boy from the mountains.
    I think those lads were Kalten, Bevier, Tynian and some other lad I can't remember, Olaf or something.

Pretty funny at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Although I would agree with all the characters suggested from Feist books and add some, my current fave is the nutter who lives in the motorhome in Bachelors Walk on the telly. I know I am cheating.
    I also love all the lead characters in all of Charles DeLint books. Really great and almost real. The right balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by boogie man

Sod that. Try Bean from the new series - he's much cooler. Book is called Ender's Shadow - same story as Ender's Game (more or less) except told from the perspective of Bean.

Oh - and Dappergent - there were three sequels in that series, not two. The fouth book was Children of the Mind. They got progressively worse IMHO, but the new series is far superior.

I dont really have a single favourite character. Here's a few memorable ones in no particular order, some of which havent been thrown about yet :

Thomas Covenant (S. Donaldson, Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever)
    Nick Thermopyle (S. Donaldson, Gap Series)
    Tyrion Lannister (G. Martin, Tyrants & Kings series)
    Nakor (R. Feist, various Midkemia series - far cooler than Pug)
    Binabik (T. Williams, Memory Sorrow & Thorn series)
    Kruppe (S. Erikson, Book of the Fallen series)

With the exception of Thomas Covenant, none of these are leading characters, because leading characters are usually too damned dull - either too good or too evil, too straight, or too something. Oh, and they're rarely complex enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Yossarian from Catch-22

Oh and that Jesus chap from some book called teh Bible. He was some powerful guy, could kick Gandalf's ass ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Shilo

Yep, definitely Yossarian!

And Sephrenia from The Elenium.... (I feel so old, haven't read them in about 12 years or so...)

And Lissie Lyles from Alice Walker's The Temple of My Familiar.

Also....Sherlock Holmes and Inspector Morse.

Advertisement