Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you actually buy?

Options
  • 13-11-2002 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭

There are so many bands in Ireland funding, recording and releasing there own singles and EP's, ourselves included and I'd love to hear, honestly, if anyone actually goes out and buys? I always make a point of checking out new Ep's i have heard little about, or just the odd nugget of information i pick up on Thumped.com or this board.

But to someone who doesn't really give a phuck about supporting new bands, absolutlely no crime, and just loves what they love wether it be Sigur Ros, Coldplay, the Frames or new wave belgian trance, I'd love to hear what they have to say.

Again, I have forgotten my pint.

Be well...

66e

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭mojopin

Heya Mick, Tom from the Beautiful Losers here. We have an e.p recorded an were going to release it then we thought about the point you just made; it simply is pointless. We sell ours at our gigs for 2 sometimes 3 euro in a nice cover but non- pressed and they always sell, its a better way of doing it till the fanbase is big enough to go purchase it. That said you's are doing betetr than us at present but its probably still not worth it Mick but thats my opinion. Lookin forward to giging with yous soon.

www.beautifullosers.info

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

Mr/Ms 66electric - I used never really buy Irish Music because I found a lot of it heavily derivitive, but if you're asking for a recommendation I'd suggest picking up the Settler ep which was released just over a year ago. There are a few other bands I've found out about which I really like, but I don't want to just plug my mates. But, the settler one is a cracker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

Saw Settler at the Dead Languages launch earlier this year and they are indeed a quality band. And as if to prove my point, i went out and bought their EP the next day in Tower.

Funny that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 IrishUnsinged

Originally posted by the66electric
    There are so many bands in Ireland funding, recording and releasing there own singles and EP's, ourselves included and I'd love to hear, honestly, if anyone actually goes out and buys?

Being one half of IrishUnsigned.com, I don't have to buy! You nice people keep sending me demos to listen to. Also, some not so nice people also send me demos that I wish they hadn't ;)

As for the whole point in selling, it should not be to make money. Seems stupid but it shouldn't. We are working on a way of incresing the fiarness of the charts thru Chart-track, which will hopefull make it easier for bands to get in the charts thru proper barcoded releases, get on radio, get exposure, get gigs, get media and get money.

Money? How? From all that media exposure that being in the charts gets you. Sutras made a nice few quid off IMRO from last year's release of 'Princess' cos the 2nd song 'Machine' featured on a lot of radio stations. I daresy Polar will be in a similar position after their release of the excellent 'South'. Most bands can do this and we intend to approach the industry from behind (ahem!) and give them a good kick up the backside.

If anyone has anything of releaseable quality (properly mastered, packaged etc) or nearly there, get in touch with IrishUnsignbed as we have big plans if Chart-track come on board after Xmas.

By the way, 66e and Polar, regarding your planned mini-tour after Xmas, can you do an accoustic 40mins each for the Ruby Sessions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭sodiumlightbaby

i bought velvetron's ep in tower, based on the guys descripiton of his music/influences on this board while looking for a new band member.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

40 minutes for the Ruby sessions is no problem at all. E-mail us at the66electric@hotpress.com with details.

Thanks Ron

66e

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭joss

CD singles are notoriously hard to sell.
    Road Records don't generally take them in any more, for example.
    If you release on vinyl only you get few reviews and no airplay, though....

Favourite Irish thing I picked up recently is The Tycho Brahe CD.
    Wonderful, wonderful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Arch

It's a shame that a lot of record stores will only stock releases if they are professionally promoted, distributed through business channels etc. You miss out on so many casual browsers.

But, if I've heard something and liked it, I've definitely gone searching for it.

Arch

Advertisement