Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleepy Head

• 13-11-2002 5:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭

I have awful bother getting up in the morning like everyone but i have it real bad.

I am in college and i really need to be in for 9am but never feel awake before 11.

I am in bed early around 11 or 12pm. So its not that. Could it be that i am too warm in bed with a sheet ,a duvet and an opened out sleeping bag keeping warm as well as the tshisrt i sleep in and the socks on my feet.

I am due to start work experience soon and really need to be in for that.

So anyone got any ideas as how i can be more awake in the mornings.

Please help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Sleep can be partitioned into blocks of 4 hours, i.e. 6 hours sleep is the same as 10 hours. If you go to bed at 12pm then you will feel awake at 4am, 8am and 12am. If you awake mid-block then you will be knackered until the block expires.

My advice would be to get up at 8.00am and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Thats good advice.

Sometimes I get a great sleep and feel very refreshed when I put earplugs in my... ears.

Alcohol can severely disrupt your sleep patterns as other drugs can so keep that in mind too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by thegills
    Sleep can be partitioned into blocks of 4 hours, i.e. 6 hours sleep is the same as 10 hours. If you go to bed at 12pm then you will feel awake at 4am, 8am and 12am. If you awake mid-block then you will be knackered until the block expires.

My advice would be to get up at 8.00am and you'll be fine.

I feckin knew it! Have you a link to anything about that?

I began to notice this a few months ago, and I thought it was blocks of two hours. I'd sleep for 4 or 8 hours and wake up fine. If I slpet for 7 hours, I'd fall back asleep, and mightn't wake up for another 3/4 hours.

Of course, it all goes out the window if your heartrate or matabolism is being affected when you go to bed, ie By eating, drinking coffe or alcohol, taking drugs, etc before you go to bed........I've been having crap sleep the last few weeks due to copious amounts of coffee. I drink it like water.

As well, as you say, you might be too hot. Anything which makes you uncomfortable when sleeping will disrupt the block you're in and may extend it or ruin it completely. This is just what I've noticed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

I dont usually make it to bed untill after 3am most nights, and im up at 8am

To counteract this I drink 2 very strong large cups of coffee as soon as I get up. (Gold Blend)
    If I dont im falling asleep during the day in boring situations.

I know its not healthy but...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

I know it may seem like an obvious answer but.....go to bed earlier! Yeh I know 11pm & 12am (i presume you mean am :-)...no wait..you're right...or are you? Damn that's confusing) may seem early but really the ealier you go to bed the better you'll feel in the morning. Try going to bed at say, 10 one night and see if it makes a difference.

BTW I have the same problem as you, I should probably take my own advice but I've got into such a habit of staying up late, I'm rarely asleep before 1am. It's bad when you fall asleep when you come home from college or on the bus or *in* college...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

I used to be like this too

i talked to my doctor, apperntly i was low on iron which helps keep u going, go to the pharmacy and get some iron tablets.

also, 20 mins before u sleep go out for a walk, just walk for 10 minutes and u will have a decent sleep.

most of the time people are tired in the morning not because they didnt get enough sleep but that they didnt sleep well, i notice myself sleeping 12 hours sometimes and still being very tired and then another day i sleep 8 but in a deep sleep and im perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I feckin knew it! Have you a link to anything about that?

Not quite the 4-hour block theory but along the same lines

http://www.searoom.com/sleep1.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

I actually thought sleep was partitioned into blocks of two hours. Going to bed at an even hour normally wakes you up at an even hour and conversely with odd hours.

Another approach is to get an alarm clock that frightens the S*** out of you when it goes off. I had one for years that was so painful to hear when it went off that you'd wake up before it to make sure you got to it before it went off. I normally hit the sack around 1-2a.m. and wake up fine every morning- theres my tuppence anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I've just been told by my bf that REM sleep patterns are not actually divided into four hours blocks - they vary per person. According to him, his sleep patterns run in three hour blocks. So I guess the best thing to do is experiment and see which way your own individual sleep pattern works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Try drinking more water.

The amount of people who feel tired simply because they're dehydrated is unbelievable.

Also, breakfast and some fresh air in the mornings are good too.

If you don't have time for breakfast try a large glass of wate and maybe some fruit & fruit juices. (:

g'luck with it,

- Kevin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Em...the way i find it easiest to get up in the morning involves two things:

One: do everything with the curtains closed and the lights off. allows you to adjust slowly to the whole "morning" thing slowly rather than a sudden bright light in your eyes

and

Two: A bottle of lucozade sport in the morning on the wy to school. returns all that energy you don't have :)

Advertisement