Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband 4 me :) Eircon 56k for you :(

Options
  • 13-11-2002 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

All,

For years I have been giving Eircon what I can only describe as a ransom for everything from voice to data services.

My bills were high and the service (customer & quality) was poor. On average my two monthly bill was over £450 (IRSIH) And for this I got premiun rates for local calls! and 56k Internet access. When I was going I changed it to UTV for the other members of the household and I hope they never have to be totally Eircon ever again.

NOW!!

I have moved to the USA. Where I am living has cable from Roadrunner
    It costs $40 a month. There is no cap and always on. I have downloaded at speeds of over 300kb/s. It is something else to have a service like this for such a price.

It makes me sick when I think of what I was paying in Ireland, a two month payment in Ireland would give me this for a year!

Oh and installation is free.

I have been listening to some of the home radio stations and I hear Eircon I-steal is now 30 times faster than dialup, I'll stick with what i have here!

While I am no longer worried about high costs and the such that all you face in Ireland, I hope you all get what you are looking for. I worked for Eircom-net and I can say (In my own opinion) that you lot are right 110%. They dont pay attention to you, they dont want to bring attention in case the average PSTN Joe Soap cops on, get big business and you get Eircon (I know this has been all said before).
    And they monitor boards.ie! cost me my lame job :D

You guys know what the story is, but everyday ppl buy ISDN hoping for 128k (Hi speed, Hi Spending) access only to find out that its a con, an expensive con.

IrelandOffline - keep the good work up.
    And you lot keep ranting!

Krouc

Should anyone want to contact me, feel free.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Krouc

The speeds of 300kb/s were on Kazaa btw....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

you taunt us

must be nice living in the 21st century

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Im so tempted to leave this open simply because its nice to see someone "leaving" eircom and speaking out about them.

However, it really has not a lot to do with us and its going to result in a deluge of pointless "omg eircom are ghey!" rants.

Tell ye what, ill leave it open (unless Sceptre thinks it should close) and see if any interesting replies accrue :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

There is one thing about it that makes me sick.

How many of you have internet buddies (msn Icq wutever) that cant fathom the fact we have bugger all internet.

I have tons of ppl on MSN and tru my website that take DSL for granted one guy said somfin like this to me other day.
    "im thinking of getting the 10mb DSL from my operator its only $15 extra brings it up to $55 a month" i wept for days.

I have DSL but its too damn expensive to keep and may give it up soon and forsake the internet as i be damned as hell if im going back on 56k.

oh and eircom are ghey just for Dustaz
    :D

Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

It’s embarrassing to speak to anyone from the States regarding internet connectivity in the mighty E-Tub. They take for granted the connections available in a developed and progressive infrastructure and in fact a lot of people who would be considered "techies" are now happily surfing away on 1.5mb+ DSL/cable connections with no caps for less than half of what we pay, for what is a barely available service. A few of my relations use normal broadband i.e. 512kbps since that’s enough for a “general user” and as such is priced accordingly (around $20-30, even less in some parts). This is a worrying trend when we are hoping for a 256kbps service for € 60 a month that might appear.
    Emigration seems to be the only answer and it is something I am now sure I will do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    Dont be such a drama queen. Move to Tallaght.. or Knocklyon as I like to call it.

I have 512.... 24/7 for 50 yo yos a month including modem rental. pssssst I'm in Dublin. ehhh Down with eircom etc etc. God bless Ntl's little sox. Lets hope That whole adsl thing works out for you all so no one leeches my bandwidth. Im contemplating ringing NTL to see if they can jack it up to 1 meg. Ill trial it for them.

Ehmmm, thanks for your suggestion, I think I'll take it under advisement. Perhaps if I could avail of cable broadband, like yourself, I wouldn't feel the need for so much "drama" but alas all I received when enquiring about that was "not in the near future"... and that was 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Move to Tallaght.. or Knocklyon as I like to call it.

Or don't - because I live there (Knocklyon) and can't get NTL Broadband. Just go to the States, or Estonia or anywhere else but here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

this is the way it is in this country;

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/ministryofmisinformation/index.html

"So please, let's hear no more fuss about connecting poor people."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Let's hear from the other 999 to be laid off? With the money they're getting, they'll be able to afford to move to countries with real broadband services too.

sings 'eircom's days are numbered'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Originally posted by kdja
    There is one thing about it that makes me sick.

How many of you have internet buddies (msn Icq wutever) that cant fathom the fact we have bugger all internet.

I'm the same way, heck, I even have people 2 chatrooms know about Eircom's dismal internet rates... Many of them are in the EU, such as Holland and Belgium, and the UK, but all who know are appalled at Eircoms carryon, since I've quoted many articles and threads mentioned in this forum.

Luckily for me, I haven't really had the 'full' humiliation of telling someone that I pay per-minute for dialup still, as all the people I've told about this are sympathetic to the problem.

Advertisement