Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does anyone belive AA Trafficwatch?

Options
  • 13-11-2002 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Is it me or is AA traffic/road watch a waste of good air-time?
    In my experience they're more wrong than right about traffic
    hold-ups which have either not been where said or have cleared up long since. Today the woman doing the announcements on Today FM stated drivers should switch thier lights on going through the underpass tunnel at Kilcock where the N9 and N8 meet, it was gone 5 pm when she said this! I suspect they get a sheet of info about twice a day and never alter it.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by mike65
    I suspect they get a sheet of info about twice a day and never alter it.

They get loads of messages around peak times, but given that they transmit every 15 mins then, and once an hour (?) at other times, some of the messages they choose to broadcast are small 'glitches' (Someone stupidly holding up the traffic) that clear up in a matter of minutes, and so are useless information by the time they're broadcast.

Plus they have limited time in which to give an overview ,but for some reason they decide to waste it on places that are 'given' as being full of traffic, ie the M50 and a 2/3 mile radius of Dublin City centre. It would be much more productive if they broadcast about one-day roadworks and unusual buildups, as opposed to "Both quays are very heavy, and Luas roadworks are holding up traffic on the N7" - No ****! It's been like that for the last 6 months!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

that is funny, I thought I was the only one.

Few instances, in Limerick they always say Dublin road, Castletroy is blocked, in the last 2 weeks this has not happened.

Was travelling from Ennis to Galway one Friday and they said that due to road works that there was a 20 minate delay in a village on the way, got to the village and there was no road works and no delay!!

They are a joke, I am not been a twat but they do not give information about anywhere outside Dublin and if they do it is the same every day

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

A couple of years ago, Dublin Corpo had Travel FM on 106.8 for a time. It was the most accurate service I've known. They used to list all the routes into and out of Dublin in a bullitein.

www.aaroadwatch.ie is not much better.

Some might say they are only concerned with the way home to Foxrock........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Puca

Yesterday the said traffic over the bridge of peace in Drogheda was backed up for 5mins, what bull****, maybe a 5min delay crossing it. What abouth the other 20mins to get to the bridge, no mention of that.... its a useless service.... Though some of the girls voices sound nice, which makes it easier to imagine pleasent things while stuck in traffic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭highlight

Yesterday I thought you were being unfair to AA Roadwatch. However today -
    I left work at 7pm last night and got to Castleknock at 11.45pm
    I left for work at 7.30am and got to work (city centre) at 10.30am

Not a word on AA about the problems in Castleknock Village. Instead they concentrated on the M50 and said it was chock a block. I spent 50 minutes stopped on the bridge in Castleknock over the M50, and the M50 was clear apart from the Blanchardstown exit. Got to the Phoenic Park - another flood and no mention on AA

Got to the quays, and no traffic!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

The AA only report on information supplied by callers to their traffic watch number. I know for a fact that people calling this number tend to exaggerate and give totally wrong information most of the time.

Dublin Corporations traffic radio stn was nearly 100% accurate. I think the reason it was closed down was it couldnt obtain a broadcasting license. What a load of bollix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Jessica

does any one belive aa trafficwatch ?

are you mad !!!!!! :rolleyes: it is as stated above complete and utter bull****.

Never on when you want to know the traffic and then when you do want to know it, it ignores waterford.

There is always delays in waterford and friday when traffic was choca and no one was moving anywhere , not a bleedin' word.

aa trafficwatch is complete crap, but then again, anything that can unleash lorraine keane on to us, has to be bad!!!!

and as for the aa trafficwatch speak . ...... dart becomes dort ! :rolleyes: oh don't start me !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Jessica
    ...... dart becomes dort !

Dont forget hold ups at the ryndibouts!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

They annoy me. The number of times they announce a problem area just as I'm driving through it without a problem in sight is unreal. I reckon a lot of the reports are precorded and they just play them back randomly.

Also a lot of the chit chat on the morning radio shows is prerecorded and you might think it is just off the cuff banter, but it isn't. You'll here it repeated if you listen to the same station all morning, which most of rarely do/

• Advertisement
Advertisement