Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P4/mobo/RAM combo question

• 13-11-2002 11:52pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of going for a 2.4GHz P4 (Komplett doing a special on it at €235).
    The mobo I have decided to go for is the MSI 845E MAX (€110.68 from Komplett also), I would really like an Asus P4T-533 but I want to keep my total upgrade cost below €500.

Now, my question is, what type of RAM do I need?
    It says on the mobo spec. sheet that it takes DDR-DIMM but I don't what the difference is between PC2100, PC2700 and PC3200.
    Could I use any of these speeds (that is what the numbers refer to?) with the MSI board or do I use a specific one, if so which?

Another couple of questions;
    Can anyone comment on the MSI board
    Can anyone suggest a better sub €500 combo for my upgrade?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

The 2.4gig p4 is running at pc533 which limits overclocking possibilities. If you are running the system at stock speed, you're probably better off getting an AMD system. XP 2400+ is priced at €230. Or get a lower speed CPU like the p4 1.7gz and overclock.

The ddr-dimm pc2100, pc2700 and pc3200 refers to the rated speed. I am sure lots of tech websites will explain to you what it really means. You want the pc2700 one for that 2.4gig p4 anyway and the pc3200 one if you want to overclock that particular p4. But the thing about the 845E chipset is it doesn't support DDR333 so if you are going with the MSI board then get pc2100.

I have the MSI 645E-max2L myself and I am very happy with it. MSI make good motherboards but I probably won't go for that chipset you're looking at. Here's a review for that MSI board http://www.sharkeyextreme.com/hardware/motherboards/article.php/1432291

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Thanks CodeMonkey,

It sounds as if my mobo choice is not the ideal solution for getting the most from the P4.
    I would like to overclock a bit too.
    Although I have set a budget of €500, I reckon there must be a mobo/RAM combination well suited to getting the most from the P4.

I'll ask another question;
    If you had a €500 budget what would you pick to go with the P4 2.4GHz?

You mention the XP2400+ 2Ghz.
    However, I currently have an Athlon 1.2GHz (running at 1.4GHz) and I want to make a bit more of a jump, performance-wise.

Just thought of another question;
    Does anyone know what is the fastest CPU I could stick in my existing mobo, it's an Asus A7V KT133 chipset 200MHz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 The Devil

I am doing an upgrade too and was thinking of getting that pentium 4 because its cheap.
    can you let me know what package you go for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

If you look on the komplett board, they will be selling the 2.4 for €235, bit of a bargain. The "B" 533mhz bus part can still be overclocked a fair bit. The abit ddr boards are capable of an easy 170 - 180 mhz fsb ( remember that on an intel 845 based board the pci and agp always stay at their correct speeds ).

I'd go for the abit BE7 ( or BE7-raid if you want double the ide channels ). A bit more expensive than the MSI, but faster as standard and more overclockable.

Originally posted by Gerry
    ( remember that on an intel 845 based board the pci and agp always stay at their correct speeds ).
    Oh, didn't know that, I only really pay attention to what stuff does when I am thinking of making an upgrade. The asynchronous pci and agp bus changes everything cause I hate having the sub systems overclocked as well. I take back what I said and will def consider the 845 chipset if I am upgrading. And looking at benchmarks in that review I posted the link to, the slight performance lose due to the slower ddr ram isn't that great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I should have made this clear, but the board I suggested, the abit be7 has a newer version of the i845 chipset, the 845PE, which is faster and has official support for ddr333 ram.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Thanks for the help lads.

I have decided to go for the following:

Intel P4 2.4GHz from Komplett @ €235
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=23664&t=1401&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=4&GrpID=10&s=pl

Abit BE7 mainboard from Komplett @ €140.40
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=27970&t=1403&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=10&GrpID=10&s=pl

TwinMOS 256MB PC2700 DDR-DIMM from Komplett @ €88.57
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=27435&t=1014&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=17&GrpID=9&s=pl

Grand total of €463.97 (ex. shipping).

One further question I have:
    I think I read somewhere that the boxed Intel CPUs come complete with a cooler/heatsink, is this true?

Originally posted by Samson
    One further question I have:
    I think I read somewhere that the boxed Intel CPUs complete with a cooler/heatsink, is this true?
    Yes, retail boxed CPUs comes with heatsink/fan and OEM ones doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Originally posted by CodeMonkey
    Yes, retail boxed CPUs comes with heatsink/fan and OEM ones doesn't.

They do Indeed... but the fans are noisey b*stards ;)

Advertisement