Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IGN & Tribes servers (long)

Options
  • 30-03-1999 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭

IGN rocks. Through it and these we now have our great little (growing fast) tribes community. But......

The problem is, that as with every community we are running out of space, fast. I realise that to say IGN have finite resources is even stretching it. But the fact is that there are a steady 20 ppl per night on the server and the game isn't released for two months in Europe?. When the game is released were dead, it will be really hard for ppl to get on to the server, as it is now a multinational server.

In a way IGN greatest success has also been its problem. The problem is that we have a rock steady server with good players and great pings from the UK, Europe and even the US - in most cases more so than here in Ireland. This is ruining the games for some players as at peak times the lag and packet loss tends to be really (really) bad. A funny example last night was at one stage it was lagged for 3 sec's-ok for 3 sec's for about 5 mins, it was like going in 'bionic man slow mo' - the language out of some players was unreal smile.gif

Am I to understand correctly that IGN is a free service, run by volunteers. If so how do you normally get your equipment?. Could we try, through the various communities, to raise a few quid. If the threat of BW closing can raise thousands in a few days surely we can scrape together a grand for another server, if needs be I would run the fundraising (with the proper supervision wink.gif). IGN should look to the future anyway, with Q3A and whatever other on-ling games coming on-line the demand for servers is going to be incredible. 3 months ago who knew what Tribes was, now we have a super tribe, and one of the best, most competitive servers out there.

There are lots of Quake and Quake 2 servers *FACT*. There was loads and loads of ppl playing quake and quake 2, and now there simply isn't as many people playing the quake games. Surely there are one or two servers that could be converted to Tribes. I reckon this could be done without the quake players being affected at all.

All I want is the best for the on-line community that I am a member of, the tribes community. I also want the best for all the Irish on-line communities. This is done through discussion, debate and eventually change. As with everything we must adapt to the current circumstances, with a close eye on what the future holds.

[EM]vAGGABOND

[This message has been edited by tHE vAGGABOND (edited 30-03-99).]

[This message has been edited by tHE vAGGABOND (edited 30-03-99).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I've done a number of things in response to this.

Firstly, I've limited the "IGN.ie - Tribes 1" server to 16 players.

Secondly, I've closed the Q2 Arena and CTF servers to allow for the second test "IGN.ie - Tribes 2" server on port 28002, running in competition mode (also 16 players).

Basically, the IGN has two PCs on which it runs its games servers, one running the QuakeWorld servers, and a newer machine running Q2/Tribes/HL servers (approximately 7-8 games servers on each machine). Both are dual processor machines with loads and loads of RAM and multiple network interfaces.

Resources may improve soon, until then we just have to juggle what ones we have.

These measures are provisional, the rest of the IGN administrators may have some more ideas on the issue, which I will post here as soon as I find out more.

J.
    --

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Yay! Thanks Cloud. smile.gif

*Happy*

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

if I did'nt think that I would get arested I would offer to marry you and have your children

Thanks a million Cloud smile.gif

[em]vaggabond
    President
    Cloud Fan Club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Don't go doing anything bold mammy Cloud... people DO use the Quake 2 servers with the exception of CTF...

Although not very often do they play Arena.

Kegs.

Advertisement