Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is it REALLY 10,000?

• 14-11-2002 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

I was just thinking: If you look through the members directory, there's TONS of accounts like !!!"£$L33tm4573r!!"" and shíte like that around, which have been up for years and have no posts. So, how many of these accounts ARE there? And how many actual MEMBERS are there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

apparently Bubbles has a *few* alternative accounts so 10K is a *lil* bit off putting...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah, theres tons of crappy accounts and people we've banned and duplicates and troll accounts but I'd say they account for no more then about 20% of the total.

I think there are only about 250 banned people despite all the bannings we seem to be doing.... :)

We get about 20 new sign ups a day. of them about 15 actually manage to negotiate the tricky "click this link to become activated"...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

purge em all :)

ppl who havent posted ina 3 month period get purged.

kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

do you have any stats of what people visit and all this crap ?
    I think i am a stat freak...sorry :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by kdja
    purge em all :)

ppl who havent posted ina 3 month period get purged.

kdja

Why???

My brother hasn't posted in over 3 months. That doesn't mean his account should get deleted - it means he doesn't use the Internet terribly often. I'm sure he wouldn't like to go online and find his account deleted simply because he hasn't used it in a few months.

Mind you, that said, maybe those accounts that have been inactive for SIX months or a YEAR should be zapped...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

What benefit is it to delete any inactive account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by chernobyl
    What benefit is it to delete any inactive account?

Presumably it will give a minor saving of disk space on the boards server.

Also it would give a more true reflection of the number of "real" (active) members of the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

or you could just check the amount of users that have posted in the last 6 months and use that to find out the "real" amount of users...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Originally posted by Bard

Mind you, that said, maybe those accounts that have been inactive for SIX months or a YEAR should be zapped...

A lot of old quake players read the boards and go six months or a year without posting.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

and a third of our page impressions are to "guest". ie: people not logged in...

In the last 6 months, 6000 users have logged in.
    We do get people coming back from the dead too, especially old quakers :)

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

I wonder how many accounts are bubbles? Does he even know himself? Im gonna go for 5% :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can you track individuals by IP, or is that just too much trouble?
    Originally posted by DeVore
    We do get people coming back from the dead too, especially old quakers :)
    Respectfully, surely you mean members of the Society of Friends? ;)

Victor, we track ever *post* by IP. Big DeVore is watching you. :)

IP doesnt give an accurate picture of users. All of DELL and most Unis appear as one VERY active ip :)

I'd estimate that about 9000 people visit Boards in a 6 month period. A lot of my mates dont have accounts but read it religiously. In fact most internet surveys show that only 1 in 10 people participant online as opposed to lurk.

Think about it, we have 120,000 impressions a day, that means that if there 5000 people in a day they would have to account for
    24 page impressions each... which seems reasonable (apart from you loonies :) )

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I visit boards just about every day..dont post as much as I used to though, becoming a lurker it seems ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by DeVore
    Victor, we track ever *post* by IP. Big DeVore is watching you. :)
    Oh, I know, but there is a differnce between having information and having knowledge.

Anyway, if you take the (trackable) worst offenders, total their impressions and remove them from the impressions count .....

Advertisement