Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bereavement Counsellors?

• 14-11-2002 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a bereavement counsellor/counselling service in Dublin 15 or Dublin City Centre?

I have a friend who's not coping very well with the loss of another friend and I think it would help her to talk to somebody independent about it. Thanks for your replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Oasis.gov.ie is a great fount of knowledge.

Check out this link for what I found on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

Thats great, thanks to both of you for your help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You could probably get a list from your local GP, priest, health centre or undertaker.

I lost a friend (26, epilepsy) 2 years ago and my niece (15 months, SIDS) this year. It's been rough, talking has helped.

You can always try www.samaritans.org if you want to talk to someone quickly.

While I understand your friend wants to talk to someone independent, talking with anyone will help.

Just remember that no counsellor or therapist or doctor or whoever has all the answers or "the" (magic) answer and this will be something ye will have to learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Why don't you just pick up your Golden Pages, find the relevant section and compile a list of possible counselling/bereavement services.

I know that there's a very good one in Dun Laoghaire (bit out of the way for you). Unfortunately I can't remember the name but it's on the main road (George's St.?) oposite 3M house.

Of course it's good to talk to anyone but I don't think anyone expects professionals to have the magic answer to anything when it comes this kind of thing. All people expect, I hope, is the opportunity to confront their feelings in a safe environment, in the hands of an expert.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

Thanks for the tips guys, I was hoping for some recommendations thats why I didn't just dive for the Golden Pages :-)

The Oasis site was excellent, though. My friend is holding a memorial mass for her friend on Wednesday, hopefully that will help. We're not looking for a magic button or answer but the death came out of the blue (the Bali bombing) and has really hit my friend for six, she's like a different person and mentioned suicide to another friend (and I don't think it was a cry for help). At this stage, we feel we've said everything we can and knowing that time will lessen her pain we just want to make sure she knows that time will help and that she must hang on in there. I've probably not explained that very well but thats why I panicked and turned to boards - as usual, ye didn't let me down :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 odee

govinda, you are obviously a good friend.
    The best you can do is to encourage your friend to talk about her feelings.
    Too may people think the best idea is to 'take their mind off it',
    but sometimes all they want to do is talk it through, maybe over and over!

If you keep an eye on her and check up regularly, I'm sure she will eventually come out the other side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i used someone in beamont.
    if youre interested, PM me and I will give you her name and number.

Advertisement