Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vcd

Options
  • 14-11-2002 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

What exactly are VCD's or SVCD's for that matter and what plays them. Is the quality any good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

VCD was an early attempt at achieving what DVD accomplishes, namely film-on-a-disc. I seem to recall them coming out at around the same time as the CD-I. The format wasn't popular in Europe although it's extensively used in Asia. Basically they're just CD-ROMS (i.e. limited to 640Mb or thereabouts) VCD's have video encoded in the MPEG-1 format, which limits the displayed quality somewhat. It does allow for near enough an entire film on a CD though. SVCD's use the MPEG-2 codec (I think) which is the same as that used in DVD videos. The picture quality is thus comparable, although only half an hour of video will fit on the disc. I believe the audio stream for both is simple stereo. You can use your computer to play VCD's, also some DVD players can utilise the format- mine does.

Not a huge expert on this so treat yourself to a Google on the subject.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I think they are fantastic, every dvd i rent - I KEEP :) Rip the dvd to your hard drive using the specs you want, 16.9 etc. Burn onto 1 cd if your lucky, 2 cd's usually and long films go on three. Get the sleeves for them off the net and they also work on your dvd player, they are gonna come in handy one day when i get a 5 or a 10 dvd disk changer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Ozpass - from what I know your spot on.

Bananas I think you may ahve broken the rules for this board (copyright infringement). However the whole idea with DVD is the picture quality and sound quality (both digital). You might as well be taping the films off the tv on your videorecorder as the quality will be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

Is there a source to buy these in Ireland ? Send me a private message if you are shy!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement