Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clone Cd Software

• 14-11-2002 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

Hi I recently downloaded this
    and on the option for imaging a cd
    is to image a game-cd

I was just wondering has anyone used this software
    if so does imaging a game cd mean if you *cough* backup a game
    and run it from teh backup you wont get the 'insert cd -label 1234' etc
    ??

oh I dunno if this should be here -couldn't find a software page
    so move as appropriate

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

The Idea is that cloneCD makes 1:1 backups of your CDs. In the case of backing up games you own it copys the CD protection and all the data to the an image on your HD or straight to a blank CD. So in answer to your question...Yes I use the software and yes it makes perfectly working backups of my games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

You would still need a cracked EXE as the game realises that the new *backed up * cd isnt an original so asks for the original CD.

A No CD counters this.

Kdja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

1. make your cloneCD image of your game.

2. mount it using daemon tools.

3. do a minimal install of the game.

4. mount the clone cd image and the cd autoplay menu will appear.

5. play the game from the cloneCD image saved on your hard drive. no need for a crack.

there is no need to back up the game either.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

2. mount it using daemon tools.
    what do you mean by this? what are deamon tools?? is it a program?

oh for the love of god people, why not just use google? :)

its a program for mounting iso, bin+cue, ccd etc. images as a a cd in a drive. its a virtual cd drive.

www.daemon-tools.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Clone Cd comes with a virtual drive of its own
    so I dont think - unless its crap - you need to download stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Firstly... never copy a game except for backup purposes. If you want a game go to your local game shop and buy it.

Basically do what Discostu says.

Otherwise the CD will nearly always copy (depending on your drive) and will most likely install. But it won't play without a No-CD crack. Not a fixed rule as it depends on what the copy protection is but will cover most games.

Personally I hate having loads of CD's hanging around my desk so usually go for some no cd option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Yes I use the software and yes it makes perfectly working backups of my games
    Not quite.

If you have a CD-ROM which can't do raw extraction of data - it won't work for new stuff.
    Even if you do there you need a drive capable of RAW-DAO+96 writing (most above 20X will)
    Even then it has to do accurate subchannel streams (most don't the new lite-on 48X DOES)
    Even then there are some protection methods which can't (yet) be defeated eg StarForce

see Game Copy World for more info.

If you replace the executable with a cracked one (nocd version) then you stand a better chance.
    Some games have yet to be cracked eg GTA3

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

If you replace the executable with a cracked one (nocd version) then you stand a better chance.
    Some games have yet to be cracked eg GTA3.

that was cracked a few days after it's release.

i personally can't stand having to put a different cd in the drive for ever game i play, no cd's are pretty damn handy if you ask me.
    (+ there's nothing more annoying than the sound of your cd drive whirring into action when the game has to load)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by tribble

Some games have yet to be cracked eg GTA3

b
    I wanted to see if it would run playably on my pc before I bought it so I downloaded it(the day it came out over here) and the crack worked fine.

Of course it played like poo so I went back to the ps2 version.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭GiMiC

The only problem with the no-cd method of copying is when you need to patch/upgrade the game. Often I've found that the patch becomes necessary, most notably for Neverwinter Nights which wouldn't get past a certain part of the game until I patched it, but then you have the possible problem of finding a new no-cd crack. For the big games like GTA3, Half-life, etc. this shouldn't be a problem, but for games that weren't as popular then it can be hard to find no-cd cracks for patches (that's if anyone even made one).

that's not really a problem if you actually own the game

Originally posted by hussey
    Clone Cd comes with a virtual drive of its own
    so I dont think - unless its crap - you need to download stuff

ive never used CloneCD so i cant say what their virtual cd thingy works like.
    i would still go for daemon tools because if your cd drive cant make an accurate cd image(cant raed suchannel data etc.) it has the option to emulate a number of copy protections available.

anyway its tiny, only about 700k so downloading it would not be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I know this is probably a stupid question, but if your CD-ROM can't *read* sub-channel data in the first place, then surely it wont be able to tell the difference between something where there is sub-channel data (which, as stated, your CD-ROM cant read) and where there isnt sub-channel data (i.e. a CloneCD copy).

If you cant read it, you cant tell if its there or not.

Surely the problem is burners which cant *write* sub-channel data?

jc

you prolly need a multiread cdrom drive to use cd's with subchannel data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

I have actually been encourged to buy more games as a result of PhantomCD. I buy the game and then image it onto my hard disk and then do a minimal install. It comes in real handy for the laptop also. And usually you don't need a crack because it emulates the copy protection.
    Its very handy to be able to apply all the updates or get onto battlenet etc...

some of the copy protections use sub channel data that looks like its an error. so when a cd drive comes across it, it thinks that the cd is borked and wont read the info there. but without the borked stuff there the copy protection will not let the program run.

Advertisement