Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

painfully slow internet

Options
  • 14-11-2002 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

my father uses the internet a lot at home and is always complaining to me about how slow it is(believe me its slow)
    he lives 15 miles from arklow
    any ideas how long he will have to wait before he has acess to computer with a good connection speed for an affordable price
    what r his options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

I assume thats a rural area? not in the middle of a housing estate or anything?

Satellite broadband seems to be the thing under those circumstances but its very expensive

see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63719

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

www.netsystem.com

works out about at about €36 a month + phone calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

ISDN with a decent ISP (IOL GOLD) is ok. SAT is laggy. It depends what he does on the internet.

Web = ISDN,

Downloads = SAT.

The best solution is 128k ISDN with NetSystem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I would recommend ISDN, combined with either UTVip or Esat Netsmart. It isn't broadband, but should still quite dramatically increase the speed. If he's only using the internet in the evenings and weekends and not longer than an average of 5 hours a day, that solution would roughly work out at 38 euros line rental for the ISDN line, and 30 euros for UTVip including call charges.

There's also the ISDN installation and another 30-50 euros one-time for a good ISDN modem TA. Bear in mind that ISDN will give him two lines as well.

Advertisement