Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Controlling a second box?

• 14-11-2002 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭

I’ve been thinking about buying a second-hand digibox on Ebay (any tips re brand etc?) for recording while watching another channel on my main box. I was wondering if it would be possible to remove the IR “eye” from it and attach it to a long wire which I could put well away from both boxes boxes allowing me to control the boxes separately.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I have one in Kitchen and one in Living room. But both feed all the TVs.

If you put a piece of cutup polariser at 90degrees on both boxes and on the LED of handset, then handset angle selects which digibox. (But wiggling your hand maight be a problem).

Or putting the 2nd box in a different corner of the room works (Done that with two analog Satellite boxes with same codes).

I wouldn't go trying to move the receiver module.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭sergeant121

Black insulation tape and a TV link would do the job surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Good thought Sergeant! Though costs money.

I got a big enough piece of polarisiing flim free by peeling off the film on the font of a broken phone's LCD panel (All LCDs have a polarising plastic film stuck to front to make them work)

A small piece on the remote makes it polarised. Then the pieces stuck in front of Digibox sensors are at right angles to each other.

(Polarised light, visible, infrared or UV, does not pass a polarizing filter at right angles).

With an ordinary torch and 3 bits of polariser you can do a scary quantum mechanics experiment in your living room.

Little bits of blutack or plastiscene is handy on a table or board to hold stuff in place...

With two pieces, rotate one till the torch shining through is blocked. This means the polarisers are a right angles. Classical Physics says no light can pass. (A little might as the plastic filters are not perfect). Rotate one by 90degrees and it is almost clear. Leave it in "blocked" position.

Put (and rotate) a third piece between the two and at 45 degrees you will see the torch shinning again. This result makes theortical physists slightly worried if they think about it too much...

So you don't need 4 Power stations, CERN and a linear accelerator to do Quantum mechanics experiments :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭sergeant121

I'm VERY PLEASED to say, Watty, that you totally lost me there! No, no, leave me be - I'd rather stay lost than be able to understand whatever it was you just posted!

Advertisement