Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital HUB dublin

Options
  • 14-11-2002 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

'irish times'

250Mil invested in the project that needs to build up the (fancy word) digital hub of ireland...
    The chief executive needs to find sponsers and attract companies that want to invest.

would this man not be good to have on our side ?
    digital hub, does that mean they will oversee our flatfee broadband connections as well?
    Since this is a governement deal , it might be worth looking into :)

A IrelandOFFline supporter :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Do you know what a Potemkin Village is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Hmmm. Sounds like a big techie Arthouse. Had a quick look over their website and the following was pillaged.

The objectives of the Digital Hub are:

To create state-of-the-art infrastructure to cluster leading-edge Irish and international digital media companies in a core development located in Thomas Street.
    To facilitate new connections between the creative, technological, research and development, educational and community sectors for collaboration and value added outputs.
    To design and deliver a sustainable, vibrant and inclusive living and working environment - to benefit the local and enterprise communities - in the core development
    To deliver the project through public sector investment, public private partnership developments, and community participation.

The strategy:

Establish a vibrant base of digital media enterprise and entrepreneurship with Enterprise Ireland, IDA Ireland, Media Lab Europe and third-level institutions.
    Provide dynamic and accessible pathways through learning into enterprise and employment with local and national education providers.
    Provide new infrastructure, with Dublin City Council, in the core development to enhance the existing environment and heritage of the Liberties/Coombe neighbourhood.

So there you have it. Obvious really wasn't it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I definitely get the feeling that the 'Digital Hub' concept was the last thing to arrive in this project. You can just imagine some government bods contemplating the Media Lab and a whole load of vacant Guinness buildings, wondering what to do with them. I seem to recall reading that prospective tenants will have to go through some sort of beauty contest before they can rent premises in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by Wook
    would this man not be good to have on our side ?
    digital hub, does that mean they will oversee our flatfee broadband connections as well?
    Since this is a governement deal , it might be worth looking into :)

far from overseeing our broadband connections this lot will be - they are way above us mere mortals and our humble needs. in fact this is a bootcamp for making digital content - nothing to do with pushing out broadband

but they could benefit from the availibility of broadband indirectly as it would enable teleworking. also most of the content they will create, if they get around to creating anything, will need broadband - not sure that ireland is a serious part of their target audience - so no harm whatsoever in roping yer man on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by el tonto
    I definitely get the feeling that the 'Digital Hub' concept was the last thing to arrive in this project. You can just imagine some government bods contemplating the Media Lab and a whole load of vacant Guinness buildings, wondering what to do with them. I seem to recall reading that prospective tenants will have to go through some sort of beauty contest before they can rent premises in the area.

Could be wrong, but im pretty sure the Digital Hub idea was there from the start. They had been planning it for some time.

How successful has the project been? I havent heard a peep from MLE or any of the other businesses there since the launch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

the MLE is busy designing nanotechnology Rats for a mysterious industry Sponsor .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

the MLE is busy designing nanotechnology Rats for a mysterious industry Sponsor .

ROFLOL

probably programmed to extract the money straight from your pocket or bank a/c without any of this troublesome providing a service nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

This was mention on the boards a long time ago if I remember correctly (try a search :P ) and is old news.

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

i think for somewhere like digital hub to work all you need is a big warehouse.. cheap office space and big fat connections going in there... let the offices to the folks and dont bother wasting 0,25€ billion.

dw

Advertisement