Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

27% Cutback In Broadband

Options
  • 14-11-2002 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭

McCreevy's cuts strike again..... Just heard on The Last Word that there is a 27% cutback in broadband.

Not good :(

- Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by TmB
    McCreevy's cuts strike again..... Just heard on The Last Word that there is a 27% cutback in broadband.

- Dave.

27% cut ? speed, price, capacity, investment, rollout schedule? anyone know any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Government expenditure, I believe. I'll need to see a decent list of today cuts to confirm, though....

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by TmB
    Government expenditure, I believe. I'll need to see a decent list of today cuts to confirm, though....

- Dave.

All here
    http://www.finance.gov.ie/publications/otherpubs/aev03index.htm

probably new connections / fiber rings so. least of our worries i'd say. they wern't spending much on anything useful anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Pfft... not like the hundreds of millions they've already spent has helped us.

• Advertisement

The following appear under the 2003 Communications Vote (This does not include salaries)

Regional Broadband and Technology Demonstration Programme: 2002 - €44M, 2003-€32M = 27% cut
    Multimedia Developments: 2002 - €30M, 2003-€4M = 87% cut
    Info Society – Telecommunications Infrastructure: 2002 - €580K, 2003-€250K = 57% cut
    Overall 2002 - €75M, 2003-€37K = 51% cut

Sorry about the format, the miserable figures don’t merit formatting a table.

I'm guessing here - is the first one the money given to ESAT to roll out DSL? And the third one if the Wireless project seed fund?

So much for the e-hub of Europe. What an embarrassment. Any chance we could find a few Koreans to run the place for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Any chance we could find a few Koreans to run the place for a few years.

They would move us all into high rise appartment blocks ...

Figures could have been quite a bit worse, considering we have more or less run out of cash, as have most countries. I am happier them cutting back expenditure at this point, than ending up paying off a huge national debt as we spent the eighties.

I amn't hugely upset by them. We already have spent quite a bit of cash in the provision of broadband, does anyone have figures comparing national spending on broadband provision within the EU ?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

On the 6:01 news tonight they interviewed Richard Bruton and Joan Burton (Spokepersons for Finance from FG and Lab respectively).

Anyway, Joan Burton noted in particular these technology cutbacks, and noted that we must continue to invest in telecommunications - went on to press the point further too when interrupted by Brian Dobson (rte)

I thought it was noteable, as everybody else was talking about Health and houses.

This seems like an ideal opportunity for us to highlight the fact that FRIACO will cost the government nothing, and can only have postitive benefits for the economy, so every reason that the ministers directive is followed through.

Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Originally posted by MDR
    They would move us all into high rise appartment blocks ...

That's the point, then we could all have superfast broadband, no traffic congestion, and every other public service would be better and cheaper :P I've already put forward the motion that we need a Korean group to come here and survey the telecommunications landscape.

I saw Joan on the RTE news as well. It seems she's on her side. Would it be worthwhile trying to get some sort of telecomms-specific statement from her? Add her voice to the cause?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

this cutback with only fuel €ircons delay tactics whether it effects them or not rolling out broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Figures could have been quite a bit worse, considering we have more or less run out of cash, as have most countries.

Funny how Korea isn't though, eh? Coinicidence? I think not.

Joan Burton

I saw that too, she came off as an arrogant Labourite; like Rabbitte without the brains or the wit. We need more articulate, erudite and clueful people representing us. It's a great pity our friend in Fine Gael lost his seat this year.

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Figures could have been quite a bit worse, considering we have more or less run out of cash, as have most countries.

The reason we're in this mess is because McCreevy is incompetant and was wreckless with the previous couple of budgets. I guess he's never heard the term, 'save some money for a rainy day' and boy is it Raining now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

McCreevy is incompetant

McCreevy in 1999 - "Jaysus its raining money, lets go mad!"

McCreevy in 2002 - "oh holy ****!!!!!"

I think that McCreevy & co really thought the dotcom bubble was going to go on indefinately, they really bought all that ****e.

Maybe someone a bit more "clued in" would have gathered as much revenue as possible during the boom, then when the inevitable downturn comes you have a surplus to

1) Increase spending on infrastructure. This creates employment and puts you in a position to take better advantage of the inevitable upturn when it comes (e.g. broadband!)

2) Cut taxes to stimulate consumer spending thus softening the blow to the retail sector etc

But what do I know?

Originally posted by pork99
    McCreevy in 1999 - "Jaysus its raining money, lets go mad!"

McCreevy in 2002 - "oh holy ****!!!!!"

What he did was like someone winning the Lotto and going out and spending it all in a week thinking that they'll probably win it again in a couple of weeks. Does he even have any qualifications in Finance? Or is he another uneducated moron like his bum chum Bertie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Originally posted by TmB

- Dave.

heh, well.. some could say that 27% less than 0 is still 0.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Does he even have any qualifications in Finance?

He's a qualified accountant.

I don't think I would be too worried about the cutback in spending on broadband, as it was inevitable in the current economic climate, especially since most companies seem very reluctant to commit to provision of the technology anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by daveirl
    Comments like these aren't constructive at all.

Agreed

(stating the obvious but stating it anyway:)

There are plenty of ways to attack the government (or indeed any government or group of elected representatives): on its record in office. Irrelevant insinuations just weaken our position.

sometimes I despair of your lack of humour in here. We can't all be serious all the time.

Ok, enough with that joke already :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by LFCFan
    sometimes I despair of your lack of humour in here. We can't all be serious all the time.

Neither can we be libelious all the time.

Just calm down with the ranting lfc and all will be well:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The phoenix has run quite a few stories on Bertie and his "alleged" stint at UCD. Unfortunatly the college has no record of him ever studying there, and the course lecurers don't remember him at all.

So I don't think it is libellous to suggest that he is an uneducated cv polisher.

Anyway, why should we be worried about the government's cutback in broadband? The whole point of deregulation is to remove the burden of investment from the taxpayer and place it with the private sector. Naturally the regulator will see to it that the companies involved meet their obligations.

Oh wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by Slutmonkey57b
    The phoenix has run quite a few stories on Bertie and his "alleged" stint at UCD. Unfortunatly the college has no record of him ever studying there, and the course lecurers don't remember him at all.

So I don't think it is libellous to suggest that he is an uneducated cv polisher.

Anyway, why should we be worried about the government's cutback in broadband? The whole point of deregulation is to remove the burden of investment from the taxpayer and place it with the private sector. Naturally the regulator will see to it that the companies involved meet their obligations.

Oh wait.

He is Taoiseach of this country - As a democrat - I accept that.

Look at the Good Friday Agreement - It would never have happened under a FG led goverment.

If, Broadband is economic - it will come.

It is up to the Commission now folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

OK, enough of this.

Keep this conversation to the cutbacks in broadband. The Ioffl forum must include a certain amount of politcal discussion, but this is NOT the place to discuss who is suited to run this country, What peoples sexual preferences may be or how the bloody good friday agreement came into being. Go knock yourself out on the politics forum if you want to talk about that.

The next off topic comment will win a thread locking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

In order to find out which 27% you should contact your OWN local authority be it corpo or council.

Ask them what projects they have submitted for funding. Soem are very well planned while others are a joke.

Ask them if the contracts are signed to start laying the fibre (no cutback)

Ask them if they are evaluating submitted tenders (no cutbacks)

Ask them if they have invited tenders if not, (probably no cutback)

Askt them when tenders WILL be issued if still not (good chance they'll slip thru )

If they are not close to 'issuing' tenders then they are probably among the 27% cutback. That is because they have not completed the plan as to wher to put the fibre and the 'why' of it all.

Post the lot in here and make Dustaz'z day why dontye

M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

< adam sulks cos dustaz got the warning in before he could post >

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Happened to catch a few minutes of Pat Kenny's show on Friday morning. He had a few people in discussing this and that - nothing specific as far as I can recall.

The topic of the weather and the fact that Dublin almost ground to a halt because of a teaspoon of rain :D

Anyway, one or two of the panelists commented that there were very few cars in the city that morning because of flooding, etc. The economist on the panel then started saying that if the Gov were to facilitate/encourage broadband, a lot of people who weren't able to get to work would have been able to work from home. He went on to talk about tax incentives for companies who allowed their employees to work from home, reducing traffic congestion, etc....

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

He went on to talk about tax incentives for companies who allowed their employees to work from home, reducing traffic congestion, etc....

A better idea would be to close down schools and kids could learn with a teaher over the radio.

This works in Austrailia. You save a fortune on teachers, scool buildings and school heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Cork
    A better idea would be to close down schools and kids could learn with a teaher over the radio.

This works in Austrailia. You save a fortune on teachers, scool buildings and school heating.

Cork, I'm not even going to bother pointing out how off-topic, irrelevant and just plain dumb those three sentences were to either Ireland, the Internet in Ireland or even traffic management in Ireland.

That's speaking as a mod, a member, a reader and as a human being.

Dustaz has already made a pretty formal request to keep blatant off-topic comments/political party broadcasts/libellous accusations out of the thread (and by implication off the forum as a general rule) and said the thread would be locked if it continued. Thanks for the initial posting Dave (and all the rational posters who share the same planet) - I'm sure you'd agree that this isn't the discussion you meant to begin.

Thread locked accordingly. If anyone has something to add, feel free (as always) to PM either of us and we'll delete all the irrelevant stuff before reopening.

I'm a reasonable person. I'm pretty sure Dustaz is too. I'm not just being mean. This, however, seems to be taking the piss for the sake of it.

I've never said this before to anyone on this forum since modding it (or indeed any other forum I just participate in) but in those moments where you feel like saying something completely alien to the point, please don't.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement