Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I may aswell be Captain Caveman

• 14-11-2002 7:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

What i want to know is, are there any natural solutions to reduce hair growth?

Can it be removed permanently(without laser treatment or electrocusis).

I am a bloke so it is more acceptable but i would prefer to have baby soft skin.

I.e Ive got hair growing on almost every part of my body, i annoys me so much sometimes!

And a question for the girls, do hairy men put you off?

Help and advice would be greatly apreciated, as for any comments on the lines of be happy with who you are, I am perfectly happy with my body, its simply the hair growing on it which annoys me :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

just be happy society doesn't thinking you're disgusting for not removing it all :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

live long & be hairy.. its your God given right as a man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I.e Ive got hair growing on almost every part of my body, i annoys me so much sometimes!

Well... you say this, but do you actually mean it? I'm generally considered, errr, somewhat hirsute, but it's all in "acceptable" places - so for example I don't have a furry back/shoulders, which is generally considered pretty unsightly.

If it's just normal hair (chest, belly, legs, forearms) then frankly, you should probably just live with it. I don't know what age you are now, but any kind of permanent hair removal from those areas is probably something you'll regret in later life... It's one thing to be twinky smooth in your early twenties, but I'm not sure you'd be so keen on it in your late thirties. Besides, well... I can't speak for the ladies on the board of course, but I'm not convinced that the whole boyband look keeps its appeal forever :)

If it's your back and shoulders etc, however, and it's really bothering you, then you probably want to think about permanent removal - and yes, that DOES mean laser treatment or electrolysis.

As to hair elsewhere... Well, just keep it neat. Yes, if you're someone who tends towards the furry end of the scale, that can mean trimming places other people don't have to trim. Lock the bathroom door and live with it... And remember, body hair is a sign of high testosterone levels, virility and general masculinity. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I do have a very small bit of lower back hair, the place that it really bugs me is on my a$$ and my nipples!(I can't remember the last time i mooned someone, shocking i know, although it would have extra shock factor for the victims).

There is the odd hair growing round the back and shoulder, nothing unsightly as you put it.

From what i gather, Laser treatment is very pricy and alternative treatments are very painful. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

do have a very small bit of lower back hair, the place that it really bugs me is on my a$$ and my nipples!

Um.

Question.

What age are you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Pfffft, I AM CHEWBACCA!

Hair growing on shoulders, face, arse, belly, chest, legs, toes, arms, hands....and so on.

Facial hair can be shaved, or get a tweaser ;)

Hair anywhere else, nevermind it. It's perfectly natural(My ma says **** doesnt make hairy...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

same as that. I have a hairy back, shoulders neck, belly, chest, nipples, arms. Strangely though my feet have only a little hair.

when i grow a beard it joins up underneath my ears which is wierd.

oh i don't mind all the hair, its the fact that i am loosing it on top. Receiding hairline and also thining on top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

I dont think a doctor would entertain the idea of electrolysis for a man as we generally have lots of hair in any area and individually treating to remove each hair would be extremely expensive and time consuming.(what am i saying...you and he would become friends as you would pay for the new S class Merc :p)

If you have hair on your back and shoulders [high up] you can zap it with laser treatment but does'nt this have "rough" effect on the skin?...maybe not.

You just gotta deal with it, unless you want to shave it all off....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Dalamar

You could try waxing, but i don't know if it's a suitable place. failing that, when you're in the shower*(after washing), get the razor, do the obvious.

*unless you wanna try dry shaving the area, or trying to use shaving foam there.

Otherwise, you're a guy, don't worry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Im 23,

I dont want to shave anything as it only makes makes hair even more coarse.

Heh, its reassuring to hear the word Chewbacca :)

Actually i heard of some Mens 'Beauty Parlour' Which opened in Dublin, the 1st of its kind, might go investigate that.

I suppose the best thing would just be to come to terms with it, although i still want a baby bottom! shaved my A$$ once and i would not advise to anyone.

Cheers for the kind words

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

no, is the answer to your question, my bloke is pretty hairy and I have no problem with that.
    You're a man ffs, you are supposed to be hairy!! leave well enough alone, if you start shaving/waxing it will just grow back even worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I think I can claim the prize for the hairiest here. I'm a cross between chewbacca and a werewolf :D

and guesty I'm 28 and I've never had any complaints from the women. It's true some women hate it but's I think (hope) more don't.

My GF likes it :D or so she tells me ;):D

Although I have to say I do feel uncomfortable sometimes when at the swimming pool ect but ****it what can you do.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

My GF likes it or so she tells me

sure, when you are bored, it's fun to make plaits! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

yes there is a mens grooming parlor but personalyyi hate smooth chests on a guy just isnt right. one thing about a furry guy is that they are bound to keep you warm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

As a member of the female species, I prefer men with hair. To be honest a man with a hairless bottom is slightly worrying. I think most people have hair on their bottom. I think it is a 50/50 thing with women, some like hair, some don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Originally posted by daveg
    I think I can claim the prize for the hairiest here.

So have you got hairy shoulders then? One of my mates has a hairier chest than I do but he doesn't have any shoulder hair.

Guys in ads never have a furry ass, like that cream ad or something with the guy kicking something about...i actually only saw the ad on a big screen, down the pub and all the girls were drueling over it...christ, it was horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by daveg
    I think I can claim the prize for the hairiest here. I'm a cross between chewbacca and a werewolf :D

aow aow AooWOOOOOooooOOOOOOooo :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Shinji
    body hair is a sign of high testosterone levels, virility and general masculinity. ;)

i must be oozing with all of the above. i've only had a comment made about my shoulders but i really couldn't care less. my fingers are alarmingly hairy though but all i can say is live with. you're not a freak. it is perfectly normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by Guesty

when i was younger the thought of it put me off
    but when i actually started going out with guys, i think i prefer it now, a bit of chest hair is nice to play with. ive never been with anyone of austin powers type hair proportions so i cant say if i'd prefer that or not.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by thedrowner
    ive never been with anyone of austin powers type hair proportions so i cant say if i'd prefer that or not.

I'll bring the shaguar, you just bring yourself....
    /i dont have "powers" hairy proportions either, and i am glad.

So have you got hairy shoulders then? One of my mates has a hairier chest than I do but he doesn't have any shoulder hair.

Yes - I hate that though.
    aow aow AooWOOOOOooooOOOOOOooo

:D:D:D
    body hair is a sign of high testosterone levels, virility and general masculinity

excellent :D

Guesty I hope we made you feel a bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Get over it...

A girlfriend of mine once said I had hobbit feet.
    Which made me a little self consious for a while. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Personally, if I were to consider male body hair in and of itself, I would say I'm not pushed about it.

However, if my boyfriend were the hairiest person alive it wouldn't matter to me cos it's a non-issue.

Don't worry! Be hairy and happy and yourself.

PS - it's a myth that hair grows back thicker after you shave or wax it, by the way.

PS - it's a myth that hair grows back thicker after you shave or wax it, by the way.

I'm afriad its not a myth. I used to shave everyday (and I needed to as the hair grew back quickly). However I started shaving every 2/3 days and the hair grows back about the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Well it's very obvious when you are a guy that has shaved his head at least once in your life. If you shave your head and your face and leave for a few days your beard will grow faster than your hair giving you a humerously 'modern' look of being Mr. Upside down head.

It must be an animalistic survival trait where if the hair that is needed on your body now becomes not there - grow it faster to accomodate for such a loss. I'm sure Typedef can give us a genetical equation on that one!

Originally posted by Gordon
    the hair that is needed on your body

Needed for what though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Exactly, we are in a state of change, evolution-wise, where certain parts of ones body doesn't need hair. I always think - why do I need eyebrows? why do I need hair on my toes? The fact that we do not need them will weed out the follicles through thousands of years but the fact that we shave the hairs off may make our bodies think that we do need the hairs.

..or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

eyebrows protect your eyes. they stop sweat and water and stuff from dripping down into them. like when your out running or in the rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by Gordon

It must be an animalistic survival trait where if the hair that is needed on your body now becomes not there - grow it faster to accomodate for such a loss. I'm sure Typedef can give us a genetical equation on that one!

i dont know how your body would be able to sense that there was no hair on the outisde-i think thats kind of a myth-its like people saying the more times u get youre hair trimmed the quicker it grows, its also not true.

it kind of grows thicker-its a half myth-it doesnt grow thicker because you shave, but usuing a razor causes the hair to split, and divide, so you'll get 2 or 3 hairs growing where one usually does.

Advertisement