Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

On doit remercier M. Murdoch.........nous avons TV5 sur BskyB

• 14-11-2002 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭

Yes, he does deserve our thanks................ for giving us TV5.

How many of you are availing of and enjoying French language TV5 in the basic BskyB package? You are among the privileged 600 million around the world with the facility but do spare a thought for the one million in Dublin, Galway and Waterford who had the service for eight years (1994 - 2002) to lose it abruptly when ntl bought out the cable service as they perceived that the Irish needed to improve their English with more 'repeater' English language channels.....

Perhaps fans of healthy outdoor activities might find something of interest.....check out next Saturday night on TV5....enough said.

The daily films/series, subtitled in French for the benefit of those with limited French, are also very interesting........Material for children is available every Saturday and Sunday morning...... French baby sitting service!
    And what a feast awaits viewers over Christmas..... Vive la difference!
    Merci M. Sky, pardon, M. Rupert Murdoch.
    TV5 proposes a special in the '24 heures a.......' series on 7/8 December when it spends 24 hours in New York......material will include docu on the Irish in New York.....
    See EPG and www.tv5.org for up to date info on this and all TV5 programmes.
    All this on BskyB and in many Chorus cabled towns/cities all over Ireland on the basic (cheapest) package and to just over 3000 ntl households who have been told categorically that they are NOT guaranteed TV5's permanency within their digital package.....
    A vous les telespectateurs!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I've had it for years on cable. Always watch the French rugby matches on it - the commentary is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

and don't forget all the French international soccer matches they show....next Wed night-7.45pm France vs Yugoslavia!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i've been having a look every now and again. it is a really good help for me seeing as i am currently learning French and i consider it to be an excellent addition. now for some more European language channels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It is NOT on basic Sky package.
    Family pack is third tier. There are TWO levels below.
    Value is basic package.

TV5 is free on about every other major Satellite and also on Hotbird Analog Satellite (I have it free on Digital & analog, but not Sky).

There are now at least 14 PAY channels on Sky Digital free elsewhere.

They also claim QVC and CNN as part of basic package when
    a) They are FTA on Sky
    b) FTA everywhere else
    c) Not commercially connected to Sky at all, other than they pay Sky for EPG listing (which doesn't cost much).

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    i've been having a look every now and again. it is a really good help for me seeing as i am currently learning French and i consider it to be an excellent addition. now for some more European language channels

I think I counted more than 20 languages FTA on Hotbirds 13E FREE TO AIR digital..... Or was it Astra 19E or both together?

Free NOT on SKy Languagues at 13e AND 19e:
    Farsi, German, French, Dutch, Flemish, Greek, Croatian, Hungarian, Montenegran?, Arabic, Persian, Italian, Letzburgian?, Czech, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Polish, Russian, Hebrew, Hindi, Tamil, Kurdish?, Turkish, Spanish, Portugese, English, Bulgarian

Italian & German speakers seem to have the most free channels. Almost all the FTA popvideo are Italian & German.
    There are lot of French Radio, but only about 8 or so FTA French TV (CineBox, TV5, TV5 Europe, France5, Motors TV, AB Moteurs, Euronews, EBs and Parliament channel etc)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Originally posted by Mossy Monk

3Sat would be my top choice - its the German equivilant of TV5, operated jointly by ARD, ZDF, ORF, and TSR. (I want to watch Tagesschau! )

Now if only they would put that on NTL Digital too... I suspect 3Sat do not have as good a marketing operation as TV5! NTL and Sky, please get on to them now... I know Chorus had it in Cork for a while...

Hopefully NTL will keep TV5 in the Go Digital pack at least, its only one channel in over sixty. Thats' a subject for the Cable and MMDS forum though.

Even an old Analog receiver (look around and you might get it for free) and dish gets 3Sat Free.
    Also on Digital. A Digibox with 2nd LNB even can get it.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yea, some good channels at 19E and I must get sorted with 13E soon! Have never bothered watching 3Sat as my German is poor though I would love to speak the lingo (and French and Italian if poss)! I do sometimes watch Deutche Welle as it seems to broadcast in English as well as German. Currently listening to TangoTV which is a Yugoslav music channel on my pooter! (Thanks EON and Netsystem for the DVB cards) :)

Originally posted by icdg
    3Sat would be my top choice - its the German equivilant of TV5, operated jointly by ARD, ZDF, ORF, and TSR. (I want to watch Tagesschau! )

Oh and naughty stuff aswell :D I don't know about Tagesschau, but late at night, they show birthday suits galore:p
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jmcbride

Originally posted by icdg

I would like to add my voice to this particular ambition. I would love to be able to watch ORF's Zeit im Bild, as well as Taggeschau. I rememebr coming across some great jazz programmes on this channel as well. Oh yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Originally posted by jmcbride
    jazz programmes

:D:D:D So that's what ye're calling them now :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

<sharp inhale of cigarette>

n-n-Nice! :D

Advertisement