Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BsoD in XP Home €dition

• 14-11-2002 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BogoBot

I've seen a similar (but not identical) problem and solved it thus;

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q239415

http://www.mikeshardware.com/howtos/howto_norton2001xp.html

Hope that helps.

Bogobot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

I've seen this happen once before. Seemed to be a strange problem with jumper settings. Try changing the drive jumpers from cable select to Master/Slave or vice-versa depending what your setup is currently.

No idea why that fixed the problem before but its worth a shot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

only seen this once eh?!

seriously tho, thanks for the advice guys.
    I cant change the jumer settings on my DVD cos I can only take one side off my PC case and cant take out my dvd.
    It's the secondary master anyway with the CD-R the secondary slave.

Anyway, the pixel attached is a screenie of my task manager when I log on,.
    As you can see, it hasn't recognised me as being the user logged on or such.

Weird thing is, soon enough it does just not initially. :confused:

Regarding norton..I said arse and did a uninstall. I can live without it seeing as how IT seems to be the problem.

Seems to be aite but if it happens again...:lost:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I traced the symevent file to my Norton 2K2 folder and to my system folder.

Here is the pertinent pice of information for you. Uninstall Norton 2K2 and if the error continues then I'd be looking at a driver or a hardware problem!

Right...this problem has ONLY arised in the past month or so since I put in a CD-R into my PC.

See it's probably just a crap driver.
    If I were you I'd for a start.
    Remove Norton 2K2 and remove the CDR burning software and drivers.

Then reinstall the drivers for the CDR. Basically I'm assuming that a .sys or a .dll somewhere has been overwritten with an incompatible version and that this is affecting system stability for you.

To remedy this one thing to try doing is to run 'sfc' the Microsoftopian system file checker... always good for a giggle.

In any case I would be looking at a possible driver reinstallation.
    Worst case nuke Windows and then try installing only the CDRW burning software, and see if it is really software connected to the box that is causing your problem.edit: I hate typos*

Else I'm going to go out on a limb and shout J'Accuse to the Norton 2K2 utils. I don't use Windows and haven't heard of Norton 2K2, but to get a BSOD on your box it is most likely that 'something' has corrupted Kernel space memory, which means that something like your ASPI drivers might/could well have been overwritten and that the version conflicts between different versions of bits of software is causing your box to crash.

This would be the part where I tell you to use Linux.

Typedef.
    *lies make baby jesus cry.... woof woof.

*sighs* :(

Not 10 mins after I posted my last post did I go to play Champ Manager.

Blue Screen again.

So it wasn't Norton. exactly

"technical information
    ***stop: 0x0000008E (0x0000005, 0x8057464, 0xF2077A04, 0x000000)

I'll uninstall Nero 5.5 and InCD and see what happens...

*hopes*

• Advertisement

Have you seen this?
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q222635

Try reinstalling or better yet upgrading your graphics driver.
    http://www.osr.com/ddk/ddtools/bccodes_4qsn.htm

I'd say run system file checker (sfc) to restore your original aspi drivers.

According to what laughably passes for wisdom from Micro$osft the page sysevent.sys is part of Norton crash guard.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=239415

However if you have removed that and have confirmed that the file sysevent.sys doesn't in fact exist anymore.

I would totally remove the cd burning software from my system (and/or) update my aspi drivers.

If I had to guess I would put the fault down to fault graphics driver, faulty cdrw driver or faulty cdrw software.

It could be ram but I doubt it, it seems most likely to be the new drivers installed for your CDRW (it's hardware(which I doubt)) or failing that graphics driver issues (which are common in Winblows).

Typedef.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

ive had nothing but headaches with InCD. its an evil bit of software that really does not deserve to be called part of nero. on my system it would constantly cause crashes when i put a udf formated cdrw into my cd drive and would unexplainably erease all the files on the aformentioned cdrws. kill it, burn the disc it came on and forget you ever used it.

*deep sighs*

So I uninstalled Nero, InCD and then went to uninstall my CD-Rw.
    BSOD again.

I followed the instructions to fix it...rebooted in debug mode.

got a screen res of 800x600 with 4bit color.
    Neither of my CD drives were recognised.
    My modem wasn't recognised as working.

So I popped in the XP disk and went to boot from it.
    Chose repair over fresh install thinking it would fix the problem for me.

Setup got so far before telling me a file could not be found on the XP disk and to specify a location. *GGRRZ*
    I hadda cancel that and everytime I booted up this would show up for me.

A fresh install was the only way to go BUTT I couldn't affored to overwrite my old settings cos I *really* needed a lot of the files I had.
    A course, being the paranoid person I am, I had my logon profile password protected.

I did a fresh install of XP in the folder C:\Windows\Fresh XP and was unable to access my old logon folder cos o the p/word.

Anyway..after spending all my time in work trying to figure out WHY the file wasn't reading from the CD, I just copied it to the h/drive and went back to the corrupted XP install.
    Changed the file path to the h/drive and away she went.

As you can see, it worked cos I've been online for the first time since my PC has been acting the bollix BIG time.

Atm, neither of my CD drives [DVD & CD-RW] are recognised so I'm gonna leave them be for the minute.

My machine is booked in for a check up next week so...*hopes*
    [EDIT] Looks like a complete re-format of my hardrive is needed [/EDIT]

I have the dets 30.82 for my GF2Mx. I had the other ones that came with UT2K3 but went back cos GTA3 wasn't running right.

Btw..about InCD..

When you format your CD-RW...put it back in and format it again.
    Dont take out the disk, just right click on the icon and format.
    Then it'll work grand.

Anway, thanks for the replys and help you guys.
    Much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by Kaimera
    only seen this once eh?!

seriously tho, thanks for the advice guys.
    I cant change the jumer settings on my DVD cos I can only take one side off my PC case and cant take out my dvd.
    It's the secondary master anyway with the CD-R the secondary slave.

Try taking out out the entire drive cage, I had to do that cause the drive was screwed in at the other side of the cage.

Is the drive using PIO or DMA? Maybe incompatible with one of these more likely to be DMA causing the problem if so, but I doubt thats the problem but worth checking

With a brand new CDRW?

I think it would be safe to say it's UDMA. In any case the IDE driver should switch the drive back to PIO if UDMA/DMA stops working or timesout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Its recommended to use PIO with CDRW and use DMA with hard drives

E225 for a complete h/d format and OS re-install.

only got the PC back today.
    I spent 3 hours with them on Monday. He did back up all my files on another h.d for me and copied them back after.

Before the format..he tried different cd drives and cables but no worked :confused:

Anwyay..the format sorted it all.

My DvD and CD-RW are grand now.

/me wonders off to find ALLL my game disks, software disk etc and prepares for a long week of re-installing and downloading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Originally posted by dempseyt
    Its recommended to use PIO with CDRW and use DMA with hard drives

Bollocks. PIO mode means your drives will use a lot more CPU time, which is hardly a good thing when burning CDs. Any modern CDRW drive - like his LiteOn 40x12x40 - will support UDMA33, and should run just fine that way.

Advertisement