Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat rate directive issue date - 2nd December

Options
  • 15-11-2002 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

The flat rate directive will be issued on the 2nd of December for consultation over a 21 day period. This was confirmed by the Deptartment of Communications at the Irish Inernet Association talk tonight in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

unbelievable! :D
    now if I fail the line test for DSL, I still have somewhere to turn to...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

does this mean that it will be not alone issued but the consultation period will have finished before the commission is in place???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Maybe I'm just a bit behind on things but I've no idea what the "Flat Rate Directive" is. What exactly does this mean?... that the department are directing the ISP's to release flat rate products?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

does that mean the Commission is Formally appointed on the 01-12-2002 ?

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

*adopt's his wait and see approach*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

does that mean the Commission is Formally appointed on the 01-12-2002 ?

Not 100%, but I'd imagine it must be in place for the directive to be issued. As the 2nd of December is a Monday it might be on the cards, its a good time to start!

However last night at the IIA event John Doherty (one of the incoming Commissioners of Com-Reg as it is to be called) again commented at the lack of powers they have no matter what directive is issued. There is also a great hope for the potentilal demand stimulation of Esat's up coming 256k residential offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Dangger
    John Doherty again commented at the lack of powers they have no matter what directive is issued.

ok, wtf . Do they, or do they not have the powers to do this? Etain thinks they dont, The minister and Ioffl think they do.
    Did anyone question this last night? I would imagine this is a fairly crucial issue.
    There is also a great hope for the potentilal demand stimulation of Esat's up coming 256k residential offering.

Yes, roll on the scooters, theyll make everyone want a porche.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Bard
    Maybe I'm just a bit behind on things but I've no idea what the "Flat Rate Directive" is. What exactly does this mean?... that the department are directing the ISP's to release flat rate products?

Jesus bard, you wrote the FAQ, you really should know better :)

try these threads

Announcement, Political Backlash, and Ministers Meeting in that order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Did anyone question this last night? I would imagine this is a fairly crucial issue.

They won't comment officially until they see the directive themselves. The 21 days review period will be crucial for getting this point across if it is a valid issue,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

the review is a 'consultation' period

during the 21 days, 'affected' parties (hint , it has a scaly tail and is not a reptile) may make representations which must be taken 'into account' before the directive is final and binding .

if the commission is appointed the 021202 then

+ 21 days is 231202 , end of representation window.

allow at least 2 weeks for considering the representations .....this brings us into uncharted territory because the MINISTER must consider these and not COM-REG, interesting.

FRIACO becomes a COM-REG policy plank around mid january by that logic.

M

• Advertisement

sounds to me like we are going to have to make some representations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Originally posted by Dangger
    However last night at the IIA event John Doherty (one of the incoming Commissioners of Com-Reg as it is to be called) again commented at the lack of powers they have no matter what directive is issued. There is also a great hope for the potentilal demand stimulation of Esat's up coming 256k residential offering.
    Do you believe from meeting/hearing him that Doherty will be his own man on the commission, or is he just there to give Doyle 2 out of 3 votes on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

I dunno what this directive is.. but if its anything like the recent statment the mr ahern said he will be directing the ODTR to make fraico an ABSALUTE! PRIORITY!

what does this mean? when the odtr insisted that it can do noting!!!? unless interested parties contact the office or show an interest in fraico..?

so he says... "make fraico a priorty!"
    odtr: Uhm Okay sir will do that sir!!
    and then queitly sits in a corner wating for someone to call.
    guess what.!? no one calls..
    But hey!! the minister did issue a directive to the odtr to make Fraico a priority and the ODTR said YES SIR!

So how does the odtr make this a priority by not acting!?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Jesus bard, you wrote the FAQ, you really should know better :)

try these threads

Announcement, Political Backlash, and Ministers Meeting in that order.

Appreciate that, Dusty, thanks.

The DOPE is insisting that the ODTR has a legislative basis for implementing flat-rate.

The ODTR when it becomes the commission will no longer be as independent as it once was, when the DOPE issues a directive to the ODTR, the ODTR must act upon it and I have no doubt but the DOPE will be pointing the ODTR in the right direction ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Did Esat promise to introduce some type of flat rate package after Christmas? Has anybody heard any rumours?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Cork
    Did Esat promise to introduce some type of flat rate package after Christmas? Has anybody heard any rumours?

Don't know if there are any recent rumours but this is the press release from Esat on 6 September saying they were going to introduct full flat-rate in early 2003. I assume that the issuing of the directive and ongoing negotiations are important (or just necessary) for this to happen.

Having said that, they issued the press release at the same time as they launched NetSmart so it probably got them extra publicity for NetSmart as well as just painting themselves as the good guys. They do seem to want to introduce full flat-rate though - or at least they're making all the right noises (albeit the same noises that they made when they first introduced NoLimits).

Advertisement