Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it possible to send a tv signal wirelessly

• 15-11-2002 7:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

I know the big boys do it to reach all their customers but was wondering if there is a diy kit,another words a piece of kit that I won't have to sell the wife and kids for to get my hands on. The mate lives 4 house up from me and was curious if this could be done.He does not have cable in the house and waz wondering if there was anyway for him to get tv through my place without laying cable:as I don't think the neighbours would appreciate tacking it under their eves:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

There is..... there are guys here equipped with that technology, I'm sure they will come out of the woodwork with makes and models. There is one, the digisender in the Argos catalogue IIRC....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Also the Thomson is very good and same price as Argos in most O'Connell Streets!

About 127 Euro

They all use Analog satellite type technology on very low power 2.4GHz. So true stereo and video virtually same quality as SCART (much higher quality than an aerial socket). Works with DVD, Camera, VHS, Digibox, Chorus or NTL boxes.

Even the "Digisender model" is completely analog. But it is analog system better than many overcompressed Digital MPEG.

Most models have a IR remote "eye" on the "Receiver" which transmitts the remote controller (not supplied, but any device/model) back via 430MHz radio wave to the "Transmitter" to remote control the DVD, Satellite Box, Chorus box or VHS feeding the video and stereo. Some have a plug in tail of LEDs to tape near different equipment as you could in theory connect DVD, VHS, Digibox etc all at same time and use one box to select the others etc.

You can get extra receivers to one transmitter can feed two or more rooms.

There are four channels. (If next door has one you need to be on a different channel, or make your receiver the same channel to watch what they are wathcing 100ft range approx).

Or you can have two transmitters and one is on a security camera. Change receiver channel to see who is at door.

I took my Thomson video sender aerials to bits and fitted them onto a pair of 80/90cm dishs instead of LNBs.

I think you can get a few km (maybe more than 5km). Perfectly legal too as long as you don't add an amplifier to boost the power. Twice as far if you use 1m dishes :D

These are CE licensed. The old illegal video senders used TV modulators like in a VHS or TV game RF out, boosted in power. As well as always being illegal, the quality was very poor and mono sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I realise I'm in the wrong zone now, but I could use one of these to transmit from my Sky digibox picture upstairs to another television? And the Sky remote would work through it as well? This sounds excellent! And Scart quality and all! What about going through walls, what's the story with this? Can it do it?

Watty, fitting a dish to one of them - hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭crazyasafox

Thanks lads,but just one more question
    With this device can one person in house {A} be watching utv and then the person 4doors down in house {B} watch Tv3 or is Mr B stuck watching what Mr A is looking at
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

One decoder, one channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I realise I'm in the wrong zone now, but I could use one of these to transmit from my Sky digibox picture upstairs to another television? And the Sky remote would work through it as well? This sounds excellent! And Scart quality and all! What about going through walls, what's the story with this? Can it do it?

I have a OneForAll (the crowd that make the X in 1 remotes) digisender and it works perfectly with sky ... just put the little IR eye in front of the sky box and take the remote upstairs ... (there is a little bit of noise on the screen when you use the remote upstairs ... I'm guessing its the digisender sending the remote control signal downstairs, but its barely noticeable unless you go channel hopping mad) ...
    My signal has to go through 2 walls ... both digisenders have a little dish on them ... you just (carefully) point them at each other ... perfect quality stereo sound and picture ... both have a scart socket .. so plug one into the digibox and one into the TV upstairs and away you go...
    I went off and got a 2 in 1 remote for upstairs for controlling the upstairs TV and SKY ... happy days!!:D

Originally posted by Lennoxschips

Watty, fitting a dish to one of them - hilarious.

Yes

The "video senders" are just minature Analog Satellite technology Transmitter and Receiver on 2.4GHz instead of 11GHz. It's the sort of technolgy Analog MMDS could have/ should have used but didn't.

Very high quality video and stereo.

Basically a "Wireless SCART" connection.

If you have a Steel & Concrete floor/ roof basement or a Castle, obviously they won't work. A normal house should not be a problem. You can move the transmitter half and receiver half about and wiggle the aerials if it isn't perfect.

If the signal is too low you get identical "sparklies" to Analog Satellite poor signal. Moving one or both units slightly usually makes it perfect.

I have used it from front bedroom to workshop at rear of back garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

On the question of transmitting one channel while someone is watching another, as someone said one decoder one channel... but you might consider what I have done.

I have the transmitter attached to the output of the VCR.

So upstairs I can watch
    1/ VHS tapes,
    2/ Terrestrial channels through an ariel into the VCR.
    3/ DVDs played into scart 3 of my TV, assuming that scart 2 of the TV is set to output scart 3. scart 2 is also the vcr input to the tv and is bi-directional (very common on VCRs and large TVs).

None of these affect the viewer downstairs.
    and finally.
    4/ Digibox channels, which of course does affect the downstairs viewer.

Ix.

Indeed.

Also if you have TWO sets, and TWO digiboxes, either of the receivers can select EITHER digibox to watch or remote control.

All the models I have seen have four channels. Some models can "scan" all the channels or allow remote channel change for use with multiple transmitters or security cameras.

Two kinds of camera available for 2.4GHz.
    1) Compatible with these. Typically €200. Analog FM, as are even "Digisender" brands. "Trust" brand (yuch) are an example.

2) NOT Compatible, but work on Wireless LAN (samish band, but digital). Typically over €1000 and lower quality (as it is Digital streaming on TCP/IP), but watch in a "web cast" window on the LAN or Wireless LAN on PC or Notebook. Won't feed a TV at all. "Dlink" brand are example.

FREE second Receiver
    If you have an ADX+ (small module for extending channels on old Sky Analog) and push in switch for "+" mode (small hole in side) and put this on an ANALOG satellite receiver than can tune IF to 1.9 GHz (old ones only did to 1.7GHz, newer ones do up 2.1GHz) then 1.9 + 0.5 = 2.4GHz and you can "tune" the Analog Satellite receiver to the "Video sender" transmitter. I used 3" of insulated wire bared at end and poked into the ADX+ F-Connector for the LNB as an aerial.

It only works in Mono as the two audio are 6.0MHz and 6.5Mhz. The Stereo mode on most Satellite Receivers is 7.04 and 7.20 MHz (or any other frequecy but fixed difference). Most will do 6.0 OR 6.5MHz audio in mono though.

It gives you a second "wireless" receiver though for another TV or HiFi in another room.
    Make sure you don't short the "aerial" wire to outer of F-Connector or "ground" as it has 12V to 18V intended for powering the LNB on a Dish.

• Advertisement

I bought a "Trust 100v" videosender. (it uses the 2.4 Ghz freq. range) It cost me 74 Euros. The picture quality is perfect, but the sound is fairly crap, it has to be said. The supplied IR remote thingy doesn't work.

Perhaps transmitting it from a brick shed in the garden is causing interference. But the picture is perfect...

I might bring it back and go for a more expensive one. There was an Audiosonic one as well for 120 odd Euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

they have a 2.4Gh videosender and a receiver for around €40

one set per punter, get there early. If its crap u get your money back too.

Hopefully they'll have it at Lidl in Holland too. I live 3 minutes walk from the Lidl here, so I'll have a look anyway.

Thanks for the tip.

Advertisement