Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toys 4 Big Boys Review

• 15-11-2002 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

I went to this last night and it was OK to be honest, very packed. I have tickets for the weekend as well and can see it being jammers! Last night they even had to close the bar as it was so full in the place at one point.

Anyway, some good stuff, highlights:

- 3 Player Halo on a projection tv, couple of xbox consoles set up but with a dodgy choice of demo games on them.
    - B+O Tv's, what can I say, they are the ultimate.
    - The lapdancing birds (not lapdancing) but standing around looking (mostly) gorgrous.
    - The birds at the Bridgestone tyres stand in an all in one cat suit (standing beside a ferrari, there were lads there just staring for the whole night.
    - The bird in the PVC suit at the o2 stand and the XDA which looks nice.
    - The Lexus SC430
    - The Skirmish Tank (also check out their xmas offers, quite good)

Some other rubbish (a cross between snooker and putting anyone?) there but worth a look,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Is this still on tomorrow or does it end this evening?

Does it have a web site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

- The lapdancing birds (not lapdancing) but standing around looking (mostly) gorgrous.
    - The birds at the Bridgestone tyres stand in an all in one cat suit (standing beside a ferrari, there were lads there just staring for the whole night.
    - The bird in the PVC suit at the o2 stand and the XDA which looks nice.

Any pictures? ... of the ... errrr .. ahhmmm ...... tyres and stuff?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Bard the webbie is at http://www.expotrail.com/boystoys

I'm heading to this tomorrow. Gunn4r do they have problems with people bringing cameras along to it?

I want to take piccies of the Cars not the birds, honest ! ;)

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

there were several people there with video cameras / digi cameras shooting / snapping away and I dont think there will be any difference at the weekend

Other stuff,

- There are xbox demo disks free (aint tried mine yet).
    - There are anti speed camera devices for sale
    - There is a water tank where you can get a scuba lesson
    - Some neat little scooters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Is there any half-naked attractive men?

DAMMIT!

• Advertisement

nope! lots of nerds though.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Is there any half-naked attractive men?

This is Ireland we are in, there's no such thing.

What are B+O Tv's??

B+O = Bang and Olufson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

Hi

Tickets can no longer be purchased online or over the phone.
    (My company did the above systems which were turned off on Tuesday).

It is possible you can still get tickets at 02 outlets, and there are definitely tickets available at the door.

PS: There were some half-naked men in the scuba diving pool yesterday. Dunno about attractive though!

Regards

Ronan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Went to this today and well it was a seriously bad let down. If you were thinking of going tomorrow don't bother.

They packed too many people into a hall too small for the number of exhibitors they had. End result even if you saw something interesting there wasn't enough room to get a good look at it or to chat to the people on the stand without been interupted.

The only small mercy for me was that I didn't actually pay for the tickets if I had I would have asked for a refund. I'm sure some of the exhibitors were pissed off as well with the overcrowding.

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

went Friday, it wasn't packed at all around 2. T'was great had a go of everything. While it was good, €14.50 good i dunno. but the ladiezzzz from the gentlemans club ;) were pretty hot. Much better than o2 and vodaphone. Scalextric guy looked pissed off at us from playin with the display thing, t'was good tho. Cool rc plane for €189.

I agree with Gandalf.

There was a lot that I was hoping to see there that just didn't materialise... examples being next gen Palm PDA's, Tablet PC's and the general kind of stuff you see on sites like www.boysstuff.co.uk . The cars were a total waste of space in my opinion - space that could have been put to much better use - it's not like I can buy one ffs... there were far too many stands that were just showing off big-screen home cinema systems... been there, seen it, done that a million times before - nothing new there... although the Bang & Olafson system was pretty damn nice.

All in all, paying €14.50 for a show in which it took no more than 1 hour of my time to see everything I could see, to be jostled around by an ever-growing bustling crowd, to not get a chance to be able to see or try out anything properly or up close... was a complete and utter waste of time and money, - and looking back on it now, I should have asked for my money back .

Utter rubbish.

Very disappointing.

Bought a nice pair of shades there though... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Last time I saw a tablet PC ya couldnt drape a cute chickie across it without breaking it. Nuthin to do with how she was dressed either .........are you saying the technology has improved that much then Bard?

Cars are GOOD for that, its a shame that cute chickies dont sprawl across cars anywhere else but in the Simmonscourt and at the National Ploughing Championships.

They should do so more often in the Cornelscourt carpark on sunny days.

M

Originally posted by Muck
    Last time I saw a tablet PC ya couldnt drape a cute chickie across it without breaking it. Nuthin to do with how she was dressed either .........are you saying the technology has improved that much then Bard?

eh... what?

I was saying I didn't see half of what I was hoping to see there - including Tablet PC's and next-gen PDA's.

Dunno if it was a different bunch of "cute chickies" there yesterday than Friday or Saturday but in all fairness... they weren't all that(!)

I went again Sunday as I had another free ticket, I didnt want to go to be honest but there was a group going so I went anyway....

I can confirm that there were none of the hot women there who were there Thursday

I was very dissapointed ;-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

not enough toys and no chickies....what a letdown !

as a habitual attendee Gunn4r are you sure there were NO chickies at ALL ?

M

thursday - Two top birds at the bridgestone stand, several top looking lapdancers at *that* stand. Top looking bird at o2 stand in PVC

sunday - **** all

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Originally posted by Bard
    The cars were a total waste of space in my opinion - space that could have been put to much better use

Yeh, I was thinking that too, I was there yesterday and it was packed, way too many people. I still got to see everything though since there was very little there really. Very few gadgets and gizmos, it was mainly just big expensive stuff like the cars and the odd helicopter etc.

I agree with the overall disapointing-ness of it. Oh well it could have been worse. I could have actually paid the full price :p

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭michaelpwilson

Not since my mum told me there was no Santa Claus at age eleven have I been so disappointed. The show, as far as I'm concerned, was rubbish. The company that organised it should have been paying the public to visit, not vice-versa. I was sick as a parrot coming out of the exhibition having paid €14.50 (plus another €4 for parking about a mile away).

In my opinion, the only things worth seeing were the F360 (a truly beautiful piece of art on wheels), and one of the most gorgeous plasma displays I've ever seen. I saw the Bang and Olufsen stand, but the equipment there came nowhere near that 61-inch Mitsubishi display (correct me if I got the manufacturer wrong). The O2 stand seemed to comprise of the new Nokia camera phone and the xda (be still my heart) - much less than you would see at one of their normal stores.

But back to my original point - the show was woeful, and anyone who had the good fortune to miss it should be counting their blessings. Utter rubbish.

Michael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Lads, in fairness - "chickies"?

gss loike

chix0rs :)

I didn't consider going, waste of time tbh, can see what I want to see online.

They should've had more reasonably affordable techie stuff in fairness, or replace the ferarrir with some brand new, hot off the ProEngineer file, red concept car.
    What model ferarri was it btw?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

A Ferrari 360 modena, there was also an F355 and a 1995 Porsche 911 Turbo at another stand..

I'm still pissed off I missed the British Motor Show, as both the production Carerra GT and the Ferrari Enzo where on display (altho I'd seen the Carerra before)..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I went on Sunday, thought the place was really over crowded, the cars weren't all that....the women were a disaster...they must of been the Angels rejects...hehe

Food was very bad, bar was too expensive you could easily see every stall in an hour, the demonstrations were crap...all in all a big fat waste of 4hrs driving, 1hr inside and €9 in....

I was expecting a hell of a lot more....

Farlz

Advertisement