Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom pop3 servers from other nets

Options
  • 15-11-2002 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Anyone know how to download one's eircom pop3 email while online with another network?
    Cheers,
    Air.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭damien_gill

if your using Outlook Express o the following go to TOOLS on the top bar then ACCOUNTS and when the new window pops up click on the add button.

The first box asks you wot u want to call this account the second will ask you for your full e-mail address (ie. email@eircom.net)

the next asks you for the server details type the following into BOTH BOXES

if you have a free account use : mail1.eircom.net

if you have a subscribed account use : mail2.eircom.net

the next box will be asking you for your user name and password in the case above the username would be EMAIL and then password.

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

for the outgoing acount you may have to use the mail server address for the ISP you are using to connect to the internet with as there can be issues with using outgoing mail servers for a few ISP's when not actually connected to that ISP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Anyone know how to download one's eircom pop3 email while online with another network?

I think the words 'another network' are the key here damien_gill...

b

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

damien_gill is correct. eircom's pop3 servers can be accessed via any network.

the smtp servers shouldn't be accessible, but they were recently. They may have fixed this.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

was using mail2.eircom for a free account.
    Sorry for the stupid question.

proplem is that I'm behind a proxy here, only allowing port 80 traffic out. Couldn't be bothered tunneling or anything.
    Thanks for the help.
    Air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by air
    was using mail2.eircom for a free account.
    Sorry for the stupid question.

proplem is that I'm behind a proxy here, only allowing port 80 traffic out. Couldn't be bothered tunneling or anything.
    Thanks for the help.
    Air.
    use www.mail2web.com

you need advanced set up..bung in eircomnets settings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

no, its a http proxy only, wont pass other traffic.

Ok - then why, with my free account am i able to connect to mail2.eircom.net and get mail?

I used the eircom cd and it set up outlook express with these settings...

c

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by tribble
    Ok - then why, with my free account am i able to connect to mail2.eircom.net and get mail?

I used the eircom cd and it set up outlook express with these settings...

c

:confused:

If you're asking why air can't check mail and you can:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

Mail servers are ip restricted so you gota be dialed up on indigo or eircom firstly but if its just the downloading mail you want use this site mail2web.com all you need is to chuck in your email address and password nothing else.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Chaos
    Mail servers are ip restricted so you gota be dialed up on indigo or eircom firstly but if its just the downloading mail you want use this site mail2web.com all you need is to chuck in your email address and password nothing else.

They're not IP restricted for downloading mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

well you gota be on an irish ip at worst i think....

They're not IP restricted for downloading mail.
    I always thought they were...
    I've tried a few times (a year ago) to connect to their pop servers from other ISP's but with no sucess.

That said i also collect my mail (from a free account) off mail2.eircom.net so maybe i'm just special:)

I can download mail from an Eircom and Indigo account over an IOL connection. There's IP restrictions on the outgoing mailservers alright, that's pretty standard though.
    That said i also collect my mail (from a free account) off mail2.eircom.net so maybe i'm just special

Why? That's the mailserver.

Advertisement