Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe mode

Options
  • 15-11-2002 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

How do I start My PC up in safe mode. with windows 98

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

tap the F8 key after the machine posts (makes a beep) - this should bring up a menu and safe mode is the 3rd one down

--or--

put in a floppy disk
    turn on/reset machine
    it will say "invalid system disk, please remove" or someting
    remove disk
    tap F8 twice
    shood bring up the menu

too late typedef

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Keep tapping F8 before you hit the Windows splash screen and that should bring up a boot menu option.

Just select safe mode then.

Or else run msconfig and enable boot menu on startup.

Financial remuneration in brown paper envolopes, to be deposited forthwith in my bank account or entrusted to the near convienent courier subordinate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Or just hit F5 (Safe Mode) or F6 (Safe Mode with limited networking support) instead of F8 to go straight into safe mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Cant you just hold the shift key?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

That just bypasses config.sys and autoexec.bat. Or at least it used to in MSDOS 6.22 (/me falls over zimmer frame and breaks my hip running to meet postie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

F5 is your best bet as sico says as it brings you straight into safe mode

21/25

Advertisement