Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iso's...

• 15-11-2002 3:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

anyone know any good iso creation/compression programs for storing images of cds on a harddrive??i tryed using alcohol 120% but the images it makes are about 50 to 100megs larger then the cds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Use something like Nero to make the ISO's and run them through a high compression system (like bzip2)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

they are larger because they are probably complete binary images of the cd. every sector is written to the image and not just the parts that are part of the cdfs file system that windows reads.

as for compression rar or 7zip offer the best compression ratios.

7zip = free
    winrar = not free

might help you decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

just tryed nero it works a treat creates them the same size as they are on the cd,thanx :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

I use WinISO and Winace :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

One point to note about Nero is that its images are in a proprietary (.nrg) format.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Yeah for an iso I think I'd have to agree with leeroy.
    bzip2 will give you superior compression then .gz and .zip the bigger the file you are using.

Just look at linux-2.5.47.tar.bz2 and linux-2.5.47.tar.gz if you don't believe that bzip2 gives superior compression then zip and gzip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

I use lzip for all my compression, it's great. Results in much smaller files than either bzip2 or gzip...

Advertisement