Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guardian Article on UK Broadband - they think they have it bad!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Scottish
    Jesus, if they think they are behind in the UK, where the hell does that leave Ireland?

In the ha'penny place.

And no, we won't be catching up any time soon (if ever) the way things are going

Good article though - thanks for the link. Not sure about the comparison with Singapore (whatever about comparing the UK (or ireland) with S Korea, there's a big geographical/demographic difference between these islands and Singapore)

More a Nets/Comms or IOFFL kind of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

I put it in the wrong place (bit of an eejit) and now I can't move or delete it, as I don't seem to have the rights, even though its my post. If someone could move to IOFFL I'd be grateful!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

moved as requested

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

But we live in the E-Hub??, Surely we are more advanced than most if not all countries in the world. Bertie "alot done more to do" ahern said we live in a knowledge economy that spends billions on broadband every year. I feel sorry for the rest of the world since they dont have access to the wonderful connectivity we have here thanks to our consumer orientated, progressive, efficient and fair telco Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Highly interesting given the mirrors to our situation.

One horrific fact is this
    Stephen Timms, the e-commerce minister, has told the Broadband Britain committee that the figure had now risen to 1.1 million and that 30,000 people a week (up from 20,000) were now signing up.

To match this rate (the one that britain finds so appaling), we would need roughly 2,000 new broadband subscribers a week. As it stands, we have 2,000 broadband subscribers full stop.

Theres a nice little fact for ye ET ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

i've already contacted Jack Schofield in the Guardian twice to ask them to write something, but no joy yet.

Maybe if a few more wrote to him or victor keegan:

jack.schofield@guardian.co.uk
    victor.keegan@guardian.co.uk

If we can keep getting this out in the overseas media, we might get somewhere.

Advertisement