Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake 3 Volumetric Fog

Options
  • 04-04-1999 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Does anybody have any information on whether map designers will put fog into their maps on a brush basis (like water, lava etc is done currently) or whether it'll be done some other way ?

I'm toying with the idea of including a low level (knee height) of fog over a shallow area of water, just to add some visuals to a level I'm working on.

Also, has anybody actually thought of any ways that fog can be used to enhance the tactics of a level, rather than just as a visual ? I know the game isn't out yet, but if it turns out to be more of a cat and mouse affair like Quake 1, tactical positioning of fog in certain areas may give the mouse a place where they can effectively try to lose the chasing geared-up player. Has anybody thought of any other ways to use it, apart from the more straight forward 'mosh pit no mans land' type use that Carmack displayed in his demo ?

Hopefully fog won't become the Crate of Quake2 - chucked in all over the place by map designers just for the sake of it...

Any thoughts on this ?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I dunno how it's to be added, but I think something more that just a brush could be on the cards (at least I hope so - possibly more control for the designers).

I see your point about the crate of Q3 - hopefully it'll really make a designer think about what they're at rather than plonking it anywhere.

Your pool of water idea makes sense - even though you're only planning it as a visual, maybe you could elaborate on the idea and (game engine allowing) maybe it could rise as the level progresses or something mad like that. Simple but very nice curlydav.gif
    Yer really gonna fine tune the ears in a game with heavy fog curlydav.gif

Also - I'm glad to see ppl are actually using this board at last curlydav.gif

All the best,

Dav
    curlydav.gif

[This message has been edited by Kharn (edited 04-04-99).]

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I imagine the fog will work similar to area lighting in Q2 , i.e. put a block in and give it a texture property of VFog.
    As to the uses of it well I think you've hit the nail on the head as regards not going mad with the thing.
    I think it could make a great new teleport look - a small dark hole in the wall with fog could represent a teleport. Nice and mysterious looking.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Hmmm, I don't know much about level editing (on the technical side) but being a roleplayer I do know a fair bit about level design from the concept POV.

FOG? put it over a sloping room (very gentle slope) maybe with water at the deep end.

Put it over knee deep water and have a few 'holes' in the floor. Maybe have the holes sifht about every now and then so people have to be careful when trying to pass.

A variant on the holes. Small depressions filled with lava, give the whole fog an eerie glow effect so the lava isn't noticeable (or just use acid, just lava sprung to mind). the depressions shouldn't trap someone but would damage them a little bit. Again, a good way to slow an opponent (assuming you know a way through).

smile.gif

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

they should have like radioactive fog that amplifies explosions and electrifies you if you shaft in it.. that'd rule smile.gif

And I thought I was being evil!!

smile.gif

Nice idea though.

hmmm, how about a room that slowly fills with fog, overflows so it spreads along corridors at ground level (so as not to be easily noticed)...and then gets electrified!! MuHAHAHAHAHA....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Well, some of the crates in Quake 2 did have a purpose... just like some of the Fog in Quake 3 will. But a lot of it will probably just be experimenting with the Fog, seeing what it can do to gameplay, and maybe using it to make the maps look a bit better.

The more you get used to the Q3 maps the more you can judge when or if you're going to use the fog at all...

Kegs.
    (Evil? Yes.)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

As I said in a previous post in another thread, what part of the world are you from Kegser??? Electric Radioactive Fog???
    B-MOVIE OVERLOAD!!!
    curlydav.gif

Having said all that, LoLth's idea of rising fog also sprung to my mind - it's hard to call lads - it could go either way!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Scarab

If u want to use fog to enhace the tactics of a level u could always use it to cover multiple exits from a room, so that if there is one player being chased he could run through one of these doors, the opponent then has to listen to sounds etc to find what way the player went. This could also lead to chickeny muppetry aswell..

Is that a word?

No.

Chickenlike is though.

You've been reading the Adrastea board again, haven't you tongue.gif

Advertisement