Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who owns the fibre?

Options
  • 15-11-2002 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Wired Article

The competition-neutral rings will not be operated or owned by any of the main telecommunications companies operating in Ireland, but by a public/private partnership company that would offer all comers access to the network.

In an unusual move, the Irish government has appointed an advisory committee comprised of senior technology industry experts to supervise the broadband initiative, including the country managers for Hewlett-Packard and Microsoft. No members were drawn from the telecommunications carriers.

So here I am, I have all this fibre 100 feet from my front door and I want to use it.
    Who do I talk to?
    Who owns this?

If EIRCOM won't use the fibre why cant I?

JWT

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 morges

Originally posted by jwt
    Wired Article

So here I am, I have all this fibre 100 feet from my front door and I want to use it.
    Who do I talk to?
    Who owns this?

If EIRCOM won't use the fibre why cant I?

JWT

Please remember that you live in a country that can only manage to lay enough sewers to cover one third of it's new housing demand in any year.

morges

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Minister for Public Enterprise Mary O'Rourke said she is aiming to have a 5 Mb connection as a standard for Irish homes by 2005

Just let us have affordable 512k access now you idiot.

"Regional broadband has become a rallying call," said O'Rourke, who noted that critics have pointed to "a chasm, a deficit" in this area.

Oh. My. God.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

oh yippie. we're all getting 5MB connections in 2005. All rejoice over the always true words of politicians. ¬_¬

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

a chasm, a deficit

yep, that about sums 'em up alright

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

wow. time warp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by PiE
    Minister for Public Enterprise Mary O'Rourke said she is aiming to have a 5 Mb connection as a standard for Irish homes by 2005
    Just let us have affordable 512k access now you idiot.

rofl, I couldn't have imagined it said better :)

Here we are eating the crumbs Hansel and Gretel left on the floor, with our politicians planning a banquet due in 3 years.

We'll have flown to other, less selfish countries by then!
    Just make us some sandwiches, for jaysus' sake...

zynaps

Advertisement