Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

802.11a

Options
  • 15-11-2002 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Hi recently got my hands on a pci and pcmcia cards for WLAN 802.11a, any have any opinions on this new standard or experience with it? cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

data if you're interested theres a very good reference to it in the summer edition of 2600 just gone by, maybe tower records might have a back copy lying around,

since it is becoming very popular with office and especially home users it talks about securing and threats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Thanks, i hear security is an issue and that it may be possible for someone to park outside you house and access, your computers, apparently unless you are running win 2k server you can't protect the network very well. But to be honest i cant see anyone parking out side the house with a laptop :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Dont know who told ya that you had to run Win 2k server but thats bull****. The best security solution is probably VPN, which can be done off numerous platforms. At a minimum you should have an access list of MAC addresses that are allowed to use your Access Point. It wouldn't surprise me at all if somebody stated piggybacking on you net conection or pokeing around your home network....

Well if i get my hands on a laptop this will be my first network, so not fully sure about whats going on, i will be running xp pro on both machines so hoping this would simplify things for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    Thanks, i hear security is an issue and that it may be possible for someone to park outside you house and access, your computers, apparently unless you are running win 2k server you can't protect the network very well. But to be honest i cant see anyone parking out side the house with a laptop :)

*what he doesn't know is that theciscokid is already sitting outside his gaff with his favourite red pringle tube - hee hee*

• Advertisement

send in some of those pringles there the nicest ones

Advertisement