Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a laptop - Advice wanted

• 16-11-2002 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

Wasn't sure where to post this, but since theres already info on this board about buying PC parts/etc I trust its not too out of place, or that if necessary a mod will move it?

Basically, I'm looking to buy a new laptop, and as my only experience with laptops is with DELL/Gateway ones I was hoping some of you could recommend other manufacturers? Cheaper the better obviously, but I'm not looking for anything flash, its primarily for programming.

Are there any brands in particular I should avoid?

Does anyone know if ALDI plan on doing another of those cheap laptop offers in the near future? (can't find a phone number for them anywhere?!)

Thanks in advance for any and all help! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Aldi dont give out phone numbers. You can imagine what would happen if thet did. The phone would not stoppping ringing asking to keep specials or what is the special etc.

One of my friends work they and the stories he tells about specials day are the best.

Here is the website for ireland its a bit slow http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/IE/

Advent seem a good make they are a PC World/Dixions brand. I have an advent desktop model and only one problem which is a fan on the motherboard.

I would love a laptop but cant afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

i hate laptops - i just thought i'd share that with everyone :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

there was a mad laptop in Lidl a while back and keeps poppin up every few weeks with a lower price.
    Three weeks ago was the last time I saw it in the paper.
    XP1800+
    512mb sdram
    64mb shared graphics
    DVD
    CDRW
    Carry Case etc.
    For €1499, about a month before it was €1899

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Thanks for the replies. Do you know the manufacturer of those laptops conZ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

Bear in mind that ALDI don't take credit cards, cheques etc. so you're going to have to withdraw €1800 from the bank...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

I thought they accepted debit cards? (e.g. laser card, etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

no Mixie, but it should be up in the Irish Independant(afaik) or the local newspapers under the Lidl Ads, in the next few weeks.
    Just keep your eyes open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Apple has just slashed the prices of their ibooks- they're amazingly cheap and excellent machines. Yes, Im a switcher. Trust me, you wont look back. Microsoft just doesnt get it when it comes to Operating Systems. And dont fall for the Mhz myth.. the ibook IBM g3/700Mhz is pretty fast!

http://www.apple.com/ibook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

Microsoft just doesnt get it when it comes to Operating Systems.

?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

I've roughly the same request - looking for 1500eu work laptop. Can't find anything near it apart from a packard bell which doesn't have a floppy drive (no smart comments...).

And without sounding snobby...arn't Aldi some supermarket off the Ilac centre? Since when do u lot buy technology from supermarkets?!

And if u do - are the reliable, guaranteed and offering any support? Sorry I'm just a big confused.

Bri :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement