Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats up with Steven Gerrard?

• 16-11-2002 12:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭

Whats up with Steven Gerrard?. He has not played well all season not since he was injured and could not go to the World Cup.

I think he was enjoying himself with the summer off or he got depressed he could not go to the World Cup and starting going out on the town and getting drunk and getting women etc.

Could i be right. After all Houllier said when players start to get big headed its all down hill from there.

Could Gerrard be the next Fowler?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think he was enjoying himself with the summer off or he got depressed he could not go to the World Cup and starting going out on the town and getting drunk and getting women etc.

That makes him sound like George Best! He's just going through one of those phases many young high-profile players go through.

While I think Houlliers public "attack" was wrong, maybe Gerrard
    needs a little kick and the chance to reapraise his attitude and commitment to the club. I'm sure he'll be back soon enough.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

It happens all great young players like Joe cole at the Min and Michael Owen as well as Ryan Giggs a few Years Back,its just impossible to be playing well every game every season for your whole career,you go through a slump of a few seasons before you get your form back Ryan Giggs is a prime example,he burst onto the united first team at 17 played brillant stuff until he hit about 25 then looked very average for two seasons but now he's back playing well,its just the nature of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It's surprising that Houllier said anything in public but Gerrard has had a poor season so far, and Houllier may well be right in that Gerrard has started believing his own press and reckons he doesn't have to try as hard now that he's a first team regular (when not injured).
    Ryan Giggs is a prime example,he burst onto the united first team at 17 played brillant stuff until he hit about 25 then looked very average for two seasons but now he's back playing well,its just the nature of the game.

Wouldn't agree with that Sposs, Giggs was superb up til the European Cup win and has been going downhill since, I reckon - he was poor (by his standards) last season and before, and has been indifferent so far this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

My mate said it's cos he has a new Girlfriend,,

I might be wrong,, i dont support Liverpool. so i dont really bother to read anything about them ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    It's surprising that Houllier said anything in public

From what I heard Houllier DID have a word in private with Gerrard before he went to the press. Apparently Houlier wasn't too impressed with the feedback he got from the player and decided to show him up in public in order to 'motivate' him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

i think what houllier has done is right - gerrard has been looking like he is not that hungry in the games he has played so far this season and when you have someone like diao who can come in instead of him why not play him...................Gerrard is one of the players who you know will always be running right up until the last minute i don't think it is that major a crisis and he will be abck to his best sooner rather than later in my opinion and at least we have the cover for him instead of it damaging the team overall......

oh yeah and there is no way it has been downhill for giggs in the last few seasons are you mad he was one of the few united players who performed consistently in the last 2 seasons imo their player of the season in 2000-2001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

steven gerrard is a good player ,but too much is being expected of him at such an early age.he played well last season and now he feels every ball has to be the killer pass.he has set up some great goals with good passes but four out of five are long aimless balls hoping to use owens pace.

exactly bunny the man tries to pick out the perfect pass every time and granted when it works (ball for riise last season against the arse) it looks amazing but when it doesn't it just looks stupid and loses possesion (large selection of passes from nearly every game)

Advertisement