Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking time :)

Options
  • 16-11-2002 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Time to OC my 1700XP need some help on choosing correct fans and proper running temp.

Mobo IWILL KK266R (with built in multiplier)
    AMD 1700XP (the one with the cert and sticker)
    512 133 RAM
    Basic fan that cam with CPU.

I have one case fan running the one with the PSU ,i got a fan from oc.uk a mechatronics db80mm fan (which is noisy as hell so not using).

My last OC went well 800mz Duron up to 1200 with above setup and the Noisy fan in place.

Now i want to push the 1700 up and have omse Qs (find posting here is better that OC.uk )

1. What speed is best to go for (stable)?
    2. What Temp is the perfect running temp?
    3. What CPU fan is best recommended (quite one)?

Thx

kdja

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

For quietness go for an Alpha PAL 8045 with a Papst fan, practically no noise :)

I think the rule of thumb is you over clock it till its not stable and drop it back a step or two.

I posted a few posts down about a watercooling unit for newbies :)
    Its €267 iirc from TheOCS. If your not prepared to spend that much get the Alpha then.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

When checking stability i recomend prime95's touture test . I thought my overclock was stable i was using the burn in wizard of sandra or playing games but when i used prime it failed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

My XP700 (1466) will do 1640Mhz with a Vcore of 1.85 and FSB of 1640.

MemVis 2.7 on a bog standard DDR-DIMM of PC2100 Cl2.5

The best thing to do is bus clock it first, that will give you an indication of what the peripherals will take in terms of clock speed cuase most of todays DDR is good for at least 20% plus clock speeds.

You may want to unloc the CPU too to give you access to lower multipliers, as most of the 266 type board will give you bus speeds of 150+

LD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Lorddrakul is 100% right here, you will get most benefit by raising the fsb speed. This is bottleneck in any system, and by raising it you will get improved performance even if you lowered the multiplier and kept the cpu speed the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

One of the biggest indicators of what to expect from a chip is the manufacturing code.

Look at the core of the chip.
    There should be a model line the begins AX.
    The next line should have a bacth code like AGOIA or AGKGA.
    The next line is a serial number that will begin with a 9 or a letter.
    If it is a nine, the yield for OCing is likely to be less than if it is a Y or a K.

Y's are good and more common than K's but K's are the best.

But in the last three or four years I have only ever found 1 K, it was a 1Ghz T-bird, A series (100Mhz bus) that would run at 1.5Ghz and a 133 bus.

In terms of tempratures, under sustained load anything below 50 is what you aim for, but if it is stable at anything under 55 that is acceptable without fear of damage.

LD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Myg

Maintain a good air flow across the motherboard, get a good heat sink for the northbridge and maybe get a Tt Ram cooling kit for your ram (preferably fan setup). Be sure you have the adequate power for upping the voltage for the CPU (if required) and I would suggest to turn Spread spectrum to "off" in the BIOS.

BTW: Use Artic silver 3 ( http://www.articsilver.com/ ) for all heatsink/Heatsink fan setups, as it is the best preforming thermal compound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Speaking of overclocking...

Does anyone know where I can Purchase an Circut Writer Pen (Conductive)

I need one to overclock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

I think radionics sell these, ( www.radionics.ie ). Its the kind of thing that maplin and peats should also have, not sure if they do though.

Advertisement