Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tentative suggestion for a "Vintage Hardware" board

• 16-11-2002 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn by suggesting a new (niche) board- I haven't even hit 200 posts yet....

I was wondering if there'd be any support for a 'Vintage Hardware' board. I have a few Acorn BBC's and a Sinclair Spectrum 128 that I use quite regularly. I'm also trying to resurrect an old Williams NARC arcade PCB.

There are obviously huge followings on the Internet for these archaic systems- do you think there would be sufficient interest here?

I appreciate that this topic currently falls somewhere between the Games/Emulators/Technology boards, but an area devoted to 'in the flesh' geriatric technology would generate sufficient content, I think.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Aww Acorn bbc. I used to have one of those BBCB with the game "Elite" it rocked. Used to have an Acorn Electron too, I'm pretty sure that rocked too. Ahh hexadecimal where are you now...

As for a board, all I can say is
    "If they make this board they bloody well better make a kittencake board"©

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

You mean there isn't a kittencake board already?

That's a bloody disgrace, that is.;)

OK, looks like I'm on to a non-starter here.....

But just to elaborate, it'd be a discussion forum for anyone running old 8-bit and 16-bit computers like C64's, Dragons, Speccy's, Beebs, Amstrads, Atari ST's, Amigas etc. and also arcade machines (Defender, Mr. Do, Double Dragon yada yada yada).

It's my kinda thang, but I guess I'm alone on this one!

Thanks for considering it anyway.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I dunno. I sort of like the idea of nattering about old x86s and the like. Old Amigas and such fun.

I myself love resurrecting ye olde 386 and 486 machines as small servers and slow p1s (yes I know the p1 doesn't count) as motion sensors.

I remember the olde Apple 2e we used to have in national school and the BBC Master Compact.

10 print "There is no Dana, there is only Zool."
    20 GOTO 10

*sniff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Gerry

I think you should start posting the stuff to the technology board, I don't see why old technology as well as new can't be discussed on it. If there was enough traffic, a new board could then be spun off, but I don't think it could be justified otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by ozpass
    I'm also trying to resurrect an old Williams NARC arcade PCB.

i would recommend not doing that. that game sucks like a 5 dollor hoe :)

Heh heh!

It's more of a 'because I can' than a 'because I must'!

I quite like NARC though. I think it was the first to use fully digitised characters (a la Mortal Kombat) but I might be wrong.

It certainly represented a novel approach to America's draconian 'censor all videogames' attitude of the time: Gratuitous violence is fine, just as long as it's drug-dealers on the receiving end.....:p

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Hmmm, I'll have a think and a consult with the all mighty cake about this one.

I know we could cover it under Technology and half of me thinks thats true but we also have a thriving Emulators community that I doubt would have sprung up if we hadnt created a separate board.

There are times i agree with the "spin it off when theres lots of posts on the topic" point of view but I also agree with the "if you build it they will come" line.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Speccy 128K newbie !!!

Join the Speccy 48k brigade :)

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Kittencake!

Viva la revolution!

• Advertisement

Thanks for taking the suggestion 'on board' (weak-assed puns a speciality y'all).

Austin.:)

"spin it off when theres lots of posts on the topic"
    ""if you build it they will come"
    Both are indeed true of the KittenCake.

Bide your time people, bide your time. (and bake)

hmm on-board, did speccys have external ram expansions?

see we neds the board :)

It could certainly address more than the installed 48K, so I expect so.....

Just finished scanning a BBC Master 128 Motherboard in readiness for the launch of the Magnificent New Vintage Hardware Board™ :p

I have to believe that there are people as sad as myself out there needing a chat. It's the only thing that gets me through the day. :(

BTW Gordon- I tried modifying a HamsterCake recipe earlier in this thread with little success. Free the KittenCake 11?:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Hmm...I think if your planning to discuss older non PC systems and especially old Arcade boards you should just post in the emulators Forum. Most people that are interested in ancient/older systems post there. I'd be more them happy to discuss old speccy,c64, amiga, and arcade board hardware as I'm very interested in this area but I think that older stuff has a limited appeal. Just judging from the amount of posts on the emulation board two forums dedicated to yester year games/hardware would be a little to much:(
    As for Narc yes it's a crap game:) but it was the very first arcade machine to use a 32bit processor which makes it kinda famous;)
    As for fully digitised characters I'm not sure myself It might well be. The next machine I know off with DC's is Pitfighter released in 1990.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

I heartily endorse this product or atari jaguar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Why not make a Retro board, to encompasses all things Vintage, stuff like Transformers the TV show as well as old computer systems even other such retro things as DeVores haircut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Yes go with this.

Being a child of the 80's I like the idea of a "Retro" board. Besides pandering to my inane obsession with 8-bit computers, I'd be able to discuss "Cities of Gold" and "The Moomins". Large! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I like this Retro idea as long as it had a very broad remit. Like lava lamps and chrome heating devices and suchlike. A board Austin Powers would be comfortable with. And psychadelic backgrounds and buttons.

Yes.

As for mod, I believe we need somebody old, say around 28, with a keen interest in lava lamps and Amiga 500's in their original boxes and who looks not dissimaller to Austin Powers.

Indeed.

AND MAKE WITH THE KITTENCAKE BOARD ALREADY OR I'M GONNA GET BUZZ LIGHTYEAR TO BUST A CAP IN YOUR ASS, BOY!

My real name's Austin Pass (no seriously- ask Yellum) and I'm down with the whole idea. My teeth are just as bad, if not worse than my Hollywood namesake. I do not own a lava-lamp, however.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Originally posted by amp
    I like this Retro idea as long as it had a very broad remit. Like lava lamps and chrome heating devices and suchlike. A board Austin Powers would be comfortable with. And psychadelic backgrounds and buttons.

Yes.

As for mod, I believe we need somebody old, say around 28, with a keen interest in lava lamps and Amiga 500's in their original boxes and who looks not dissimaller to Austin Powers.

Indeed.

AND MAKE WITH THE KITTENCAKE BOARD ALREADY OR I'M GONNA GET BUZZ LIGHTYEAR TO BUST A CAP IN YOUR ASS, BOY!

Jeez I've all of amps qualifications for said moderatorship yet i'm only 20

Now thats just depressing

Theres already been countlesss threads on the television board on old cartoons. I'm a huge fan of old cartoons but if i want to read posts about them I'd go to the television board. I still think that if you won't to discuss old systems, ozpass you should post on the emulators forum. I think someone thats interested in how old systems work doesn't want to see "Oh look at my lovely Lava lamp" threads in the same forum.

I think someone thats interested in how old systems work doesn't want to see "Oh look at my lovely Lava lamp" threads in the same forum.

Eeeeeh. I'm all confused now. Perhaps there's no need for this after all. I still like the idea of paying homage to old crap by dedicating a board though.

DeV? :confused:

Eeeeeh. I'm all confused now. Perhaps there's no need for this after all. I still like the idea of paying homage to old crap by dedicating a board though.

DeV? :confused:

There is such a place, the emulators board. Yes theres a lot of Whats your Favorite C64 games thread but besides that there are a number of people including myself that post on that board who are very interested in the hardware side (NON PC). Like I've said I would be more then happy to talk about Amiga/C64/Speccy/Atari Jaguar etc inards. Why not post and see what happens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Vis-a-vis old hardware I'd say if you build it James Earl Jones will be pleased.

Retro stuff might be cool too, on a seperate board that is.
    "Come, Join the darkside it is your Destiny "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

addtoast.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

My real name's Austin Pass (no seriously- ask Yellum)

Its true folks. Austin for mod of retrolandboardforumthingy

• Advertisement

addtoast.jpg

You may recognise my work, ladies and gents- I was special effects supervisor for the last Star Wars film. :p

DBC- there'd be Atari Jaguar discussions there........;)

ozpass for Mod because
    • He is mildly interested in Kittencake
    • He has interest in hamstercake
    • He knows what a bbcb is
    • His name is similar to Austin Powers
    • I have a piece of fluff in my pocket

I have to concur. However, at the end of the day it's all up to our opressive dictators. No doubt they will create this board and once again fail to create our longed for homeland....

Kittencake(tm) - it's not just a tasty snack. It's freedom.

He knows what a bbcb is

And how!
    I have a piece of fluff in my pocket

Me too! Can this be mere coincidence?
    Kittencake(tm) - it's not just a tasty snack. It's freedom.

Current research into creating Infantile Feline Madeira (IFM) in this thread and others will ultimately lead to its recognition. Have no fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I *heart* Retr0 and KETTENKAIC™

Sinclair ZX81 with the 16K expansion.... :)

C64/Amiga 600 tbh (who needs a numpad?)

One possible alternative solution, for the purely tech-retro, rename the emu board to Retro and make Ozzpass a mod aswell, though that may dilute the waters.

Ronan, What say you Sir?

Originally posted by SyxPak

One possible alternative solution, for the purely tech-retro, rename the emu board to Retro and make Ozzpass a mod aswell, though that may dilute the waters.

Ronan, What say you Sir?

:eek: *Mumbles something about this being the worst idea since, the now tediously unfunny, kittencake board idea*

• Advertisement

no i should be a mod because i used emulator for a zx81 on an atari st in 1991. beat that for retroness :) and im going to post the same emu up on the emulators boards now. damn im l33t.

LOL!:D well then at least you could play games like 3D Monster Maze and Galaxians on your dodgy ST Speccy emu. They where better then most games available for the ST at the time;)
    give it up folks!
    addtoast.jpg

Originally posted by LoGiE
    :eek: *Mumbles something about this being the worst idea since, the now tediously unfunny, kittencake board idea*

/me marks LoGie down on list of enemies

HA HA! ONLY JOKING!!!

Now. Who can make the most irritatiting screech?

Well there certainly seems to be some support for the idea, so I reckon there might be sufficient mileage in it.....

I don't think that the emu board should be altered by my suggestion, not least because it offends valuable posters like Logie.

As for myself as mod?......Well I won't pretend I'm not interested in joining the 'elite few' and I think I'd be as qualified as most. Once again though, if it p*sses other boardsters off I can't- in fairness- go along with it. I have boards.ie to thank for getting me through the working day ;) and I wont stop posting here if I get 'the finger' on this one.

Would a 'Retro' or 'Retro technologies' community be more appropriate?

What say you Commandant DeVore?:confused:

Advertisement