Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old mac disk question

Options
  • 16-11-2002 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭

I have some old mac disks (c. 1993, 720kb) is there anyway of recovering the information from them? Only 1 out of 7 gets a response from either a mac or pc (other than, do you want to format this disk).

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Good question.

I ran into this problem a while back and after wrecking my head trying everything including norton, i assumed that they were simply too old and the information on the disk had 'faded' (I assume the alignment of magnetic particles suffer from some sort of entropy eventually ) due to them sitting on a shelf for 4 years.

Of course i also could be talking complete ****e, so roll roll up, roll up and answer us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I think you can safely assume that a floppy disk that is 9yrs old has degraded beyond repair. What ever you had on it and that you haven't accessed in 9yrs can hardly be very important. Some CD's don't last that long!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Lisa in this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics.

Almost all my old floppys have decided that their magnetisim was no longer needed after 10 years of doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I've a 40meg SCSI-2 drive I salvaged from a mac, still working, albeit with a windows FAT16 partition of max 32 megs (31 usable) and 8megs unused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I've a couple of 10yr+ mac's myself all soldiering on with their original hard disks. One has a 230mb and the other a 2gb one. Actually the 3.5 disks I have with their software are still ok, but last year I backed them all up to CD just in case the disks go bad on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What if it is just the upgrades in the Mac OS just aren't compatible with disks that old? Is this possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

the format had a slight change around the introduction of os8. the disk format was backward and forward compatable the only real difference was that the newer format couldnt be booted from using a non PowerPC based mac.

Advertisement