Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locked out of server - HELP (NTrights)

Options
  • 16-11-2002 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Can anyone please help. I can't log into my server. There is only 1 account setup (admin :rolleyes: ). The error I'm getting is:

" The local policy of this system does not permit you to log-on interactively "

After trolling the web I found infomation about a program called NTRights (which I managed to get) but it doesnt work from DOS ?
    I cant get into the server to run from NT. BTW I'm running NT server 4.

Any can anyone please advise.

(This was covered to getting the NTrights file point here )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Hi

In an example where a server is called

NTSERVER

and is a member of a domain

DOMAIN

Make sure you

1. Log in as administrator into NTSERVER not DOMAIN, this is a one off. IE log in as Local administrator with the password you were asked for during the OS install.

2. Launch user manager, you are now in local user manager which is invidible wehn logged into domain

3. Into Policies menu , User Rights

4. Add a scutch of usernames from the DOMAIN along with the simple administrator and backup operrators who will be there in the Log On Locally Value from the dropdown list in User Rights

5. Tick advanced to allow these DOMAIN users to run services and install software as wel...otherwise more headaches

6. Click OK

7. Now add DOMAIN\Domain Admins (its a global group with green icon) to the administrators group in the bottom os the user manager window

8. Reboot

9. Log in as a DOMAIN user this time (if you added that user in step 4)

M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Muck - thanks for the advice. Unfortuantly I didn't install NT server 4 so I have no idea of the password, so my problem is I have no way of getting passed the login. I think NTRights is my only hope. Has anyone else used it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

L0pht maybe? It's been a few years since I used it but it cracked everything on the last NT4 server I tried it on under 24 hours. Not sure if it works remotely but I suspect it does.

The old reliable way of sorting something like this was to do a parallel install of NT server - lots of hassle but guaranteed to work.

Might be worth posting this on the security board if you haven't already (and maybe on the Open mailing list too)

Sent you a PM btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

To change any password on NT use ntpasswd (http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/). It's linux based (oh the irony!) and will change passwords in a few seconds. Worked perfectly last time i did :) Instructions for a boot disk on the web site (if you don't wanna use linux there's a DOS port).

Dizz

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

If you have an emergency repair disk you can also run L0pht crack on it to retrive the users passwords.

• Advertisement
Advertisement