Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock Revival?

Options
  • 16-11-2002 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭

Did anyone read the piece in the Ticket during the week on the Rock Revival?

What are your views on this?

And

What are your views on bands like; The White Stripes, The Strokes, The Hives, The Vines, The D4, The Datsuns, BRMC, Yeah Yeah Yeahs,etc.?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭artvandelay

id see the datsuns as the best out of the lot of them, the album is pretty good and shows promise

Wierd thing in that article was when they were sayin the sort of eqivilant bands from the past to the new ones. Which all seemed kinda strange, the Datsuns to deep purple and the vines are like an austrialian Supergrass. Who writes these things ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

dunno bout revival....theres always been good music if ya knew where to look!!!

still, some of the bands mentioned, i'd listen to...they're fun to listen to, fun to see live! i reckon the d4 or BRMC would be the pick of the bunch there though...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The D4 and BRMC are the top two in that particular list, followed by the White Stripes and the Strokes. The joke has finally worn off with the Hives, they should just call it a day.

Have the Datsuns album, gave it a couple of listens. Sounds just too like their influences for my liking.

The real test will be when all these bands release a second album...can they come anywhere to what they have already produced????

And the D4 are the bomb live!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

in fairness to all the bands metioned above(i have nearly all the albums)you would never mistake one from the other.despite all being lumped in together they are all quite different(aside from sounding like their influences)

i would rate brmc and the white stripes the best.i think brmc have the potential to be a really great band,very jesus and mary chain.

the hives thou are kinda crap,they lack tunes.
    i think everyone can't wait to see what the strokes manage to produce on the "difficult" second album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Joey Ramone

got complimentary tickets to see BRMC at the olympia on saturday. Can't wait. They rocked at witnness but it'd have been better if they played at night time.

I have albums by all the bands mentioned in the first post (bar yeah yeah yeahs cos they dont have one yet). The White Stripes, The Strokes and BRMC are top of my list.

I love the Libertines album as well, pissed off that what a waster isn't on it tho. The D4 are brilliant live. Saw them in a dingy little pub in Galway called Pacino's. The best gig I've been to in galway in a long while. Sound guys too, well I spoke to them all bar the big sideburns guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Pacino's is far from dingy! Its a great little venue, and that was a top show. Worth the drive from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

he he-go shorty! trying to cause uproar in other forums now ;)

well, i hate all those type bands except when im in alt clubs, then theyre fun, but their music does nothing for me

and smackbunnybaby-come on! if im out in a club and i hear one of "those' type songs come on i ask if its the strokes, the hives or the white stripes. maybe they dont sound the same if ur a fan but to the unsuspecting listener....i coudlnt really tell them apart

out of all them, id probably pick brmc, that spread ur love song was very good.

shorty, i didnt read the piece. wanna post up a link to it if u can?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

rock is dead

and smackbunnybaby-come on! if im out in a club and i hear one of "those' type songs come on i ask if its the strokes, the hives or the white stripes. maybe they dont sound the same if ur a fan but to the unsuspecting listener....i coudlnt really tell them apart

i genuinely think they all have a distinct difference.but i amnt an unsuspecting listener i suppose since i have most of the albums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

well I cant tell them apart....and thats all that matters to me in making my point :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 warf

obviously ya cant tell them apart if ya dont listen to them!!!

hmmmm....dont really agree with that. id know it was one of those bands, i just wouldnt know which one. there's nothing distinct about them. i dont listen to muse, but id recognise a muse song if it came on the radio and not confuse it with thom yorke, or somehting like that.

shut it drowner! i agree with the guy from star trek!

'one of those bands'

thats leaving it a bit open....matt belamy and thom yorke have very distinct voices...

i'm sure if you played me a song by the cock-toe twins and someone else equally whiney i wouldnt be able to tell the difference but thats just coz i havent listened to them...i wouldn't say, oh of course its one of those wuss-ass bands that drowny listens to!!!

also what the hell does it matter? rock smock!!!

don't forget kids, music saves lives!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

The White Stripes, The Strokes, The Hives, The Vines, The D4, The Datsuns, BRMC, Yeah Yeah Yeahs,etc.?

The Datsuns - the Future of RocK??

I don't think so.

D4 and The Strokes are more original while confident enough not to disguise their influences.

kurdt-bite me
    im sure u wouldnt be able to tell them apart either
    but then youre a natural blonde :)

im right im right im right im right im right im right im right *sticks fingers in ears* la la la la la la la la

(feck it....is that a tune by the white stripes that im humming? or one by the hives? i cant tell them apart!)

still just guessing and generalisations are in league with normal so give that shít up! its bad for you!

there is no rock revival! its just that its back in the charts, therefore most 'alternative' people think its 'cool' to bitch about it! i for one love music and i don't care who its by, if it does it for me then i'll like it and thats it!

am i still on the point? i hopes so...

oh and drowner i will! don't you worry about it!

mike patton will get you drowny! weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:)

Originally posted by thedrowner
    kurdt-bite me
    im sure u wouldnt be able to tell them apart either
    but then youre a natural blonde :)

im right im right im right im right im right im right im right *sticks fingers in ears* la la la la la la la la

(feck it....is that a tune by the white stripes that im humming? or one by the hives? i cant tell them apart!)

i think you will find you were humming kylie minogue,la la la la la la la la etc

Advertisement